“no complaints” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
KL
“no complaints”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed one night, actually only 8-hour-stay as my chk-in time was midnight. Initially my room was booked a superior twin without window RM120nett but changed to a deluxe room with window RM170nett. I think this is reasonable price as it is inclusive of breakfast. The room I was assigned was refurbished (I assume), spacious and clean. All equipments were functioning. It was under Ramadan promo, thus I could enjoy with this price. Breakfast was limited choice but to consider this room price, I have no complaints. Overall, I am happy with the clean, spacious room with the reasonable price.

Room Tip: superior room has no windows. recommend to book a deluxe.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear travelhoneybee

It's good to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity to be of service again on your next visit.

Regards
Shahrir Amir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Been here for 2 days for leisure, we booked deluxe but get business suite due to no available room but it fine as long the charges is for deluxe. Purchase wi-fi & breakfast. Wi-fi is totally suck, run speed test around 500kbps so I rather use my mobile which is more faster.
Breakfast is very limited, should have like nasi lemak + mee goreng + nasi goreng but they only served 1 main. Using they swimming pool is not in the same building, have to walk to another building (tenant) and swim with the residence.
Location not so bad, nearest to Aeon Tebrau and 25km from Legoland.

Room Tip: Book Deluxe and check in late (7pm) and you maybe get upgrade room for free.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rex_R3x
Dear RexRedzuan

Thank you for your feedback of which all pointers are noted. We will look into the WiFi issue which in general does not pose any problems. This could be due to some technicality and we will certainly trouble shoot this problem.

As for the breakfast spread, we do offer local specialties on rotational basis and perhaps during the period of your stay, it could be a probability that the menu was a different one for the week.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Regards
Shahrir Amir
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here due to no room in the other hotel. Front desk staff not really friendly, the bellmen even friendy than them. Small room and the bed location make me feel uncomfortable. Towel was not ready up check in and have to request for it on the next day. The food terrible and very limited selection.

3 Thank Marquess C
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Marquess W,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and please accept my apologies for the shortcomings.

As a value-led hotel, we are constantly striving to improve our service standards and we appreciate your feedback. With regards to the size of our rooms, we do have different room categories of varying szies to cater to the varied expectations of our guests.

Rest assured, I will personally address the shortcomings as highlighted with the departments concerned and sincerely look forward to another opportunity for us to provide our level of service to you in the near future.

With best regards
Christina Toh
Area General Manager
Selangor
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I have been a regular guest since it was Dorsett. All the while I have nothing much to complain to warrant an official review. I was at the hotel from Sunday 19/5/13 until 21/5/13. On Monday 20/5/13 I ordered a room service (Silka Signature Beef Burger) and it arrived at about 7pm and it was nice until 2am when I started to have stomach ache and nausea. In short I purged not less than 4 times from 2am-6am and vomited once. When I checked out I told this misadventure of mine to the receptionist. Guess what was the answer "REALLY?" not even apologetic nor sympathetic. I even had to ask where do I convey this misadventure, only then they made an effort to look for the complaint form. The form was not made readily available and it took them some time to get it. I just could not understand that there was no automatic response to my complaint even when I asked who was the Chef. After filling it up I was told the "MANAGER" will get in touch with me. There was no 'SORRY' from any of the staffs as if nothing happened. I waited the whole day yesterday until TODAY, no one call me to give an explanation. I wonder whether the form really get to the Manager or the Manager simply do not even care. Until today I still purged and I have lost count of how many times. What really disappoint me is that none of the staffs felt it was a serious case to be taken up and I am not complaining about service or cleanliness. This is a about food hygiene and the misadventure could be fatal. I guess someone must have died first before it is taken up as a serious issue by the management. I wonder whether it ever cross the relevant person's mind that this could be a litigation matter? The incident had caused me not able to deliver my work yesterday, had to go to clinic twice and many other inconveniences in particular I live in KL. After this I would tell my friends to think twice before deciding to stay there. I am expecting the Silka Management to CONTACT ME ASAP AND INVESTIGATE WHAT REALLY HAPPENED! It happened to me and could happen to some other guest too. I'm writing this because at the front door of the hotel there's a signage of Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Should anyone decide to stay here, make sure you ask for a room that has a window if not you will fe...
5 Thank Noriha
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Noriha

Thank you so much for your continuous support and indeed, it distresses us to note that you have had challenges during your most recent stay with us.

However, I am to understand that the issues as mentioned have been resolved with our Front Office Manager on 23 May and if I or any of my team member can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Loyal guests such as yourself are of paramount importance to us and your feedback is of equal importance as this enable us to continually strive for service enhancement.

Rest assured, we will do out utmost best to ensure that there will be no similar re-occurence of such nature and hope that you will continue to support us; and to accord us the opportunity to prove our services to you on your next trip to Johor.

With best regards
Christina Toh
Area General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Subang Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

i will make this review easy to understand based on my honest opinion

The Good:
1. Nice Decoration
2. Very comfort bed
3. Free Wifi
4. Welcoming drink
5. Good location for business trip in pasir gudang. beside tesco and giant

The Bad:
1. Parking. need to climb the stairs to level 3 or 4 and it not connected to the hotel. Can get wet during raining season
2. Fridge plug not compatible with switch. request for adapter but take more than 1 hours for action after follow up.
3. not suitable for family trip to JB town/singapore.more than 15km to CIQ but the traffic make it a long journey (peak hour)
4. no facility for baby (e.g: baby cot)
5. Feel like a apartment
6. Swimming pool by the apartment next door

Overal: The staff very friendly especially in the checker cafe however the facility is terrible. I think it can be value for money if the hotel lower the price by 10%-25%. For now i would say it overprice hotel. The hotel now in the process of renovate the room so expect improvement by year end in term of room quality. the location near pasir gudang make it ideal place for business trip.

Room Tip: the standard room did not have any window.because this is a apartment, not all deluxe room size the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank danial8704
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear LatiffDanial,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

We have duly noted your comments and your suggestions of improvement have been highlighted to the hotel’s management.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gaborone, Botswana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Rooms are a bit small for couples, bathrooms are definitely for singles only.
Breakfast is generally NOT included in price.
Kapitan Corner restaurant ajoint is no good and overpriced for what they serve.
Maybe a suitable place for light travellers and backpackers !

Room Tip: Suria JB Hotel offers better deals overall !
1 Thank roha288
Dear roha288,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

Thank you for staying at our hotel and communicating your feedback to us.

As a value-led hotel, we are constantly striving to improve our service standards. We have different room categories namely, Standard, Deluxe and Business Suite. A minimal upgrade charges is applicable for guests who wish to upgrade their room experience.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope that our shortcomings will not place us in your permanent disfavour and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel whenever your travel brings you back to Johor Bahru.

Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

I booked 3 nights in a deluxe room at the Silka for my son (11) and I. We were visiting JB to go to Legoland and Universal Studios. We trusted the Silka website which promotes both and advises it's only 20 mins from the city/Singapore border and 35 mins from Legoland.
On arrival, I was surprised to find how isolated the hotel is. It's closer to 40 mins from JB city on a good day.

We were assigned a room on the main road. Apart from being very noisy even in the afternoon, the room was minute with barely enough room to walk around the bed and nothing in the room seemed to work. The phone didn't have a cable to plug it in, the kettle didn't work, fridge plug broken, safe not working, toilet leaking and door lock not working. I went downstairs to report these problems and seek assistance and was told someone would come and fix them and by the time I returned to my room, the access card had deactivated. A replacement phone arrived, fridge plug 'made' to fit, someone arrived to fix the safe but the battery on his equipment was flat so said he would return in an hour.

The room was very basic budget, not the self rated 4 stars, and in great need of some TLC. The pool and other facilities are not even on the same premises, but located at the adjacent apartment block and shared with the residents. Don't be fooled by the information or photos on the website as nothing we saw even vaguely resembled what was promoted. And on Wotif, "Deluxe rooms are lavishly deigned with added space..." translated to very old, tired, grubby and smaller than most hotel rooms I've stayed in over several visits to Malaysia.

Whilst waiting for the room facilities to be attended to, I tried to find out from staff about Legoland and Universal Studios, neither of which they were able to help with at all apart from advising Tune Hotels offer a package and both are quite a long distance away. There was simply nowhere to go from there without spending more than the cost of the room getting taxis (which were only available by phoning and booking). The staff weren’t rude but didn’t seem able to provide information about anything and just responded with a vague look to any enquiries.

With nowhere to go and a very upset 11 year old, I decided to cut my losses and move to a hotel at a better location. The taxi to the city cost me RM75 and took over half an hour to pick us up due to the distance. A return trip each day would almost make up the price of the room.
I advised the hotel I would be leaving without even having unpacked or done anything except try to get information and facilities attended to. I told them I was disappointed with the location and as the reason for our visit to JB was to go to Universal Studios and Legoland, I had decided to move to a location which was more convenient. I was polite, thanked them and asked them to call me a taxi.

While we were sitting waiting for the taxi, the staff member who seemed most senior was insisting I change my mind, insisting they were offering every service and starting to be quite pushy about us staying and really pestering me. That started annoying me as had I been in his position, I would have been very embarrassed about my experience and thought it best left alone while I was being polite about it - and that it would have been patently obvious that I was just being polite and location wasn't the only reason I was leaving.

Might be a convenient place to stay if visiting or working nearby but certainly not an option for tourists.

We moved to the Grand Bluewave and for very little more, the room was very large, well located, great on site facilities, well informed staff, view over the straits, short walk to town and well coordinated and easy access to tourist destinations.
Lesson for me - read the reviews first!

Room Tip: Read the reviews first and know that it's a long distance from city or tourist attractions.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank colleenhamish
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear colleenhamish,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

First and foremost, it is with regret that we note the inconveniences that you had encountered during your recent stay at our hotel.

Our associates are duly trained to brief our guests about the Legoland Malaysia and Universal Studios Singapore packages and transportation services are available upon request at reasonable price, and flyers are displayed at the Reception Desk, regrettably that was not your case.

As a value-led hotel, we have different room categories namely, Standard, Deluxe and Business Suite. A minimal upgrade charges is applicable for guests who wish to upgrade their experience. In addition, we are in the midst of refurbishment to serve our guests better in the future and training has been conducted to improve the service standard rendered to our valued guests.