“Good value for money...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silka Johor Bahru

Silka Johor Bahru
Ranked #26 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore, Singapore
“Good value for money...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Location is a little inconvenient but with a car, everywhere is easy...

Stayed over during the national day holiday, though the room was not ready till 5+, we enjoyed using the pool while waiting the room to be cleaned. There was no pool towel services at the pool as the facility belongs to the condo, and shared by the Hotel.

Room was clean and spacious. Free Wifi provided was superb, alwz stay connected. Buffet breakfast was satisfactory and adequate.

Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Almyhappy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Johor Bahru and we are indeed happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us; and that everything was up to your expectation.

I do apologise that the room was not ready upon your arrival and thank for your kind understanding that it was over the holiday period and henceforth, the delay in getting the rooms ready on time for you.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again on your next trip.

Shahrir Amir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked a room via booking.com. I received emails from booking.com informing that my booking was unsuccessfull due to the hotel unable to charge my credit card. I called the bank & they confirm that there's no problem with my card. I called the hotel to confirm on this matter & inform another card number. A staff claim will call back but in the end no one call me & yet i got another email from booking.com claim that my booking is cancelled. Again I have to call the hotel to confirm on this matter. The same staff that attended to me & multiple empty promises i got from her & also other staff. But since I can see there's so much bad review on this hotel, I am not regeret the reservation was cancelled as I can see the silver lining of it ! *phew*

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sorayabobmustaffa
Dear Sorayabobmustaffa

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent experience with our reservations department. I have conducted a thorough investigation into the challenges experienced by your goodself and from the findings, in general it does seems that there were some technical issues with the credit cards provided to guarantee the said reservations and that our Front Office Manager did advise booking.com as well as your goodself; and at the same time offered an alternative solution.

Since this was over the Hari Raya period and in line with the norm practice in the hotel industry especially during extremely peak periods, all reservations have to be guaranteed in one way or another; and in this instance since we did not have any guarantee 48 hours prior to the stipulated arrival date, the reservations were thus cancelled.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you so much for your feedback.

Shahrir Naelis Amir

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Generally poor location,
Hotel bathroom was dirty, still had previous guests hair in sink/shower.
Hotel generally dated, but may add currently being refurbished.
TV only has 4 working channels,
States has three restaurants but only found one! (unless they count a restaurant offering two types of buffet and a a la carte menu as three????????? ).
The in house band was ridiculously loud which meant we decided not to eat/drink in the restaurant/bar, so opted for room service.
Room service only available after 9pm, which also seemed like an inconvenience to them.
After bringing half of our dirty plates back down, i was told to leave the rest outside my room all i can say is they are probably still there now....as daily housekeeping was not a priority for this hotel,
Also breakfast terrible, lack of chioce and felt like food had been sat out since 5AM.
will not be staying again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Alan L

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I viewed all those concerns very seriously. Being in the hospitality industry, our paramount goal is to ensure utmost comfort and high level service for our guests.

I will personally look into the operations of the various departments such as Housekeeping in particular to ensure that cleanliness is maintain at a consistent level as well as other related challenges such as clearance of Room Service trays and to be more efficient in their delivery of service to ensure optimum guest satisfaction.

With regards to our restaurants, we have the Checker's Cafe and Kapitan Corner, which is the alfresco dining area at the other end of Checker's Cafe whereas D'Bar Lounge not only offers beverages but also a selected menu for our guests who wished to dine while they chill out to the music of the live band. The level of sound from D'Bar Lounge has since been addressed to a more comfortable level for our guests.

I am also presently reviewing the menu for all our outlets and at the same time, am happy to advise that the operation hours of Room Service is addressed and will be available from 11.30 am to 12.30 pm daily.

Please do accept my sincere apologies once again on the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay with us and I do hope that you will accord us another opportunity whereby we can demonstrate our level of service. I will be more than happy to accord you my personal attention and do email me directly at shahrir.amir@silkahotels.com for your future visits.

Shahrir Naelis Amir
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

First of all, the car park was away from the hotel, dark, & dingy as well. There wasn't a covered walkway to the hotel, and it was raining. Reception was fine, but here comes the worst part: The room was dirty! There was a weird smell, which I think was cigarettes, and there were clumps of hair on the carpet. There were scribbles on the sofa, and even the tiles of the bathroom were coming off. Lastly, the balcony area was strewn with cigarette butts. I did not go around the room barefooted at all. The only good thing I guess was the breakfast spread which was decent, the location which was quite near a Tesco Extra, and the ambience in the room. Never am I coming back here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Dericjtan

Thank you for your constructive feedback. A check with the team concerned revealed that your feedback were responded to when the incidents were brought up to their attention.

In response to your feedback once again, please do note the following actions undertaken:

1. We will reinforce training for our Housekeeping team to ensure that they continuous uphold the hotel's high standards of expectation in terms of cleanliness and comfort for our guests and to be more vigilant to little details when making up the hotel rooms.

2. The room allocated was on a smoking floor. However, we do have non-smoking rooms located at Level 6th and 8th; and with the increasing demand for non-smoking rooms, we are looking into converting more floors into non-smoking floors as well.

3. As for the carpets, we are pleased to advise that we have furnished all our rooms with new carpet noted and will continue conducted a proper training for our associate,

4. We do apologise however on the missing tiles in your room and are in the process of progressive maintenance to trouble shoot this issue.

We regret to note that you will not consider this hotel on your next visit but you certainly have my assurance that we are doing everything possible to rectify the issues which you have brought to our attention. I personally do hope that you will grant us another opportunity once again to prove our service to you and that guests' comfort are upper most on our list.

Yours sincerely
KL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed one night, actually only 8-hour-stay as my chk-in time was midnight. Initially my room was booked a superior twin without window RM120nett but changed to a deluxe room with window RM170nett. I think this is reasonable price as it is inclusive of breakfast. The room I was assigned was refurbished (I assume), spacious and clean. All equipments were functioning. It was under Ramadan promo, thus I could enjoy with this price. Breakfast was limited choice but to consider this room price, I have no complaints. Overall, I am happy with the clean, spacious room with the reasonable price.

Room Tip: superior room has no windows. recommend to book a deluxe.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear travelhoneybee

It's good to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity to be of service again on your next visit.

Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Been here for 2 days for leisure, we booked deluxe but get business suite due to no available room but it fine as long the charges is for deluxe. Purchase wi-fi & breakfast. Wi-fi is totally suck, run speed test around 500kbps so I rather use my mobile which is more faster.
Breakfast is very limited, should have like nasi lemak + mee goreng + nasi goreng but they only served 1 main. Using they swimming pool is not in the same building, have to walk to another building (tenant) and swim with the residence.
Location not so bad, nearest to Aeon Tebrau and 25km from Legoland.

Room Tip: Book Deluxe and check in late (7pm) and you maybe get upgrade room for free.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rex_R3x
Dear RexRedzuan

Thank you for your feedback of which all pointers are noted. We will look into the WiFi issue which in general does not pose any problems. This could be due to some technicality and we will certainly trouble shoot this problem.

As for the breakfast spread, we do offer local specialties on rotational basis and perhaps during the period of your stay, it could be a probability that the menu was a different one for the week.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here due to no room in the other hotel. Front desk staff not really friendly, the bellmen even friendy than them. Small room and the bed location make me feel uncomfortable. Towel was not ready up check in and have to request for it on the next day. The food terrible and very limited selection.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Marquess C
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Marquess W,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and please accept my apologies for the shortcomings.

As a value-led hotel, we are constantly striving to improve our service standards and we appreciate your feedback. With regards to the size of our rooms, we do have different room categories of varying szies to cater to the varied expectations of our guests.

Rest assured, I will personally address the shortcomings as highlighted with the departments concerned and sincerely look forward to another opportunity for us to provide our level of service to you in the near future.

With best regards