“A place for weekend retreat with family”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Had recently spent a weekend there with family.
I think the hotel had just undergone renovation probably a year or two ago, thus having a brand new look.
The room is quite spacious with modern concept decoration and adequate amenities.
One commendable piont is the outdoor children swimming pool which is the largest i ever seen with great design, including a water slide.
The buffet breakfast has a wide choice of local and western tastes.
A great place for a weekend retreat...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Johor Bahru.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I will share your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed for 4 days on a business trip. Was quite impressed with the hotel, one of the better hotels in Johor Bahru. Nice lobby, swimming pool and gym - was dissapointed that we didn't have time to use the facilities. Staff at reception were friendly but were a little bit slow in checking us in, there were also some issues with the rooms where 3 of us were charged the same rate but ended up getting very different grades of rooms.

We stayed in the executive room which was quite large and had access to club lounge. Good service and very nice view. Our meetings were held at the hotel meeting facilities for 4 days, Mustaffa who was in charge of the facilities and his staff were excellent. Very good attitude and accomodating to the requests and any changes that we asked for - service with a smile which is rare in Malaysia. Made our event a success. Good job to the banquet staff.

Breakfast spread is quite good, local food better than western food.

Overall a good experience. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the seaview have a nice view in the evenings.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank afmn87
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Thistle Johor Bahru. Your positive comments about the banqueting team are much appreciated and will be shared.
I am glad to hear your event was a success.

At the same time I am sorry to hear about your check in experience. I shall personally look into the comments raised.

If we can assist with any future bookings or events please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Reviewed 9 May 2012

The hotel is OK. It's an ex Hyatt hotel (wonder why they sold it?). It's of an OK standard for Asia. It's probably a 3 to 41/2 star, not really a 5, due to it starting to show signs of wear and neglect. The breakfast has quite a lot of choice for westerners and Asian tastes. My room was upgraded for free to a luxury one with the biggest bed I'd ever seen! What a shame I was traveling on my own!! ;-) I have stayed there 3 times now and for me its convenient to where our customers are located in the JB area. The rate is reasonable for what it is. Check-in and Check-out is painfully slow for some reason I can't fathom, with the desk staff usually taking around for nearly 10 minutes to get you a room key and a swipe of your card - despite giving your card entail already on the booking via internet site. (go figure) the they need to check it again and swipe it again on check-out! Frustrating. Its good for families with a great pool and outdoor relaxation area. And there's a Philippino band playing evenings upstairs in the lounge that aren't bad either if you want to chill out with a beer and listen to covers. I'd stay there again - keep your expectations in check and you will be happy, and also, remember where you are! (This is not the Shangri-La or J.W. Marriott in Shanghai!)

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool area is nice - avoid a rear room looking out at (grotty) suburbia.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank PaulB1961
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Thistle Johor Bahru.

I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion, I will personally look into the comments you have raised about the check in and check out process. We will review the team efficiency in handling the system and put in place the necessary training.

Your positive comments will be shared with the team.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me directly.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed 4 nights in April and found everything fantastic. Had club lounge access and the waiter Hahim was terrific in be sense. Hotel clean comfortable snd nothing too much trouble for any staff member

Room Tip: Don't choose floor 12 as the noise from restaurant above carries
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bitterntraveller
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Johor Bahru and for the lovely comments about the team. I will make sure that your feedback is passed onto the team, in particular Hashim in our Thistle Club Lounge.

Please contact me directly when you plan a future visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle Johor Bahru.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Sorry but it's just not very good.... I didn't enjoy the breakfast... The room and toilet was big but somehow seem very unwelcoming.... The pool was just cold... I wonder why all Malaysian pools are cold despite the hot weather.... The service was not what we are used to.. Sometimes good service make up all the cons.

But I must say, the room service food was good... The fries crispy yet soft inside... The burger was nicely done...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We'd read the poor reviews before we booked, but decided to book anyway - optimism in the face of the facts - and so it turned out to be!
We had booked a deluxe king sea view room for 2 nights - the bed was certainly a king (the biggest bed i have ever seen), there was a view of the sea, but there was nothing much deluxe about the room. Some of the towels were threadbare. The counterpane had several holes in it, the bathroom was mouldy in places and generally not very clean and the pillows were stained. The whole place had an aura of shabbiness about it - or sad neglect.
On our second day there was no hot water to shower. When i rang the service desk I was told there was planned maintenance of the boiler from 10 - 3 and I was told we had been advised of this. I assured the service operator that we had notbeen advised and i was told that their manager said that all guests had been advised and so i must be mistaken and we had been advised!
I asked to speak to the duty manager and was told that they were not available to speak to guests.
Following a cold shower I went to use the hair dryer which didn't work. After calling the help desk 2 engineers arrived and insisted it was working when clearly it was as dead as a dodo! After much discussion they agreed that perhaps it wasn't working after all and took it away and replaced it later with one that did work.
It really was like something out of Fawlty Towers - and they advertise this hotel as 5 star!!
Had we not a very tight schedule we would of checked out and found another hotel.
On a positive note, the breakfast was pretty good, catering for all tastes, Asian & European. The room was a good size and the service on checkout was exemplary!

Room Tip: The only saving grace for this hotel is the size of the king beds and the sea view - so go for the k...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Topher8
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear reviewer, thank you for choosing to stay at The Thistle Johor Bahru.

I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion, I will personally look into the comments you have raised.

Your positive comments with regards to room service will be shared with the team.
If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Room is Great and Spacious. However, the location is somewhat out of the way unless you Drive. Booked thru AGODA, would be Better if the Room Rates could include Breakfast.
Check-in was Smooth, Staff was Unfriendly but will Definately love to Come back. Recommend for High floor & Seaview room woud be Fantastic!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family