“Very Nice Hotel just need some upgrading, Very Good service, near CIQ but no nearby walking distance mall”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #11 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

Booked for 2 sea view rooms for 1 night.
Request on the booking for non-smoking connecting room & baby cot was provided.
Toiletries were also provided & has water bottles, tea/coffee, kettle & mini fridge, slippers, towels. Though we had to ask for bathrobes.
Room is clean & bed is comfortable.
Toilet is clean but the bathtub got no drain cover & the blinds are a bit torn down. Good thing there's a separate shower area.
Rooms need upgrading from linens, curtains, bathtub fixtures & blinds, etc.. to match the hotel's star ranking & price.
Provides free transport service to JPO, Legoland & City Square.
Breakfast & lunch buffet good spread.
Room service is quite fast & food was delivered on time as told eventhough it was past 9pm already.
Check-in/check-out is standard.
Over-all our stay was very good but a bit pricey. Will consider to come back if got price promotion.

• Stayed October 2012
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.
Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our clean bedroom and bathroom, in room facilities, comfortable bed, our complimentary shuttle service, breakfast and lunch buffet spread as well as the efficiency of our room service team.
Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

Rest assured, your specific comments with regards to the in room refurbishment, maintenance and the hotel pricing are noted and will be looked into.

I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service. It is our aim to improve our service levels at the hotel in all areas and I can assure you that your feedback will play a prominent role. Rest assured we take your feedback very seriously.

I hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again, and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements to ensure an enjoyable stay.

Please contact me directly.

Edward and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2013

When we first arrived, we were greeted by very welcoming staff. The bell boy and the reception staff all were very helpful and as we had booked 3 rooms arranged for the 2 rooms to be connected and that we were all placed in the same floor only few doors away from the other room.

The room itself was clean and they were very accomodating with the choice of beds king and 2 doubles. The bathroom was clean and the hot water and the bath was all in working orders and they provided with good amenities such as toothbrush and comb and other bits and pieces (although I usually supply my own, it's nice to know that there is a fall back on if you forget to pack something).

I have few small complaints however. On check in I was asked whether we wanted newspaper and since we had booked 3 rooms for our group each wanted the different newspaper i.e English and Chinese however for the 2 days we were there, no newspaper for any of the 3 rooms.

The next small issue. I sent my suit for dry cleaning with the laundry service and there it states that if you give your laundry/dry cleaning before 10 am you will get it back by 6pm. Well my suit was picked up still in the original hanger and travelling bag at 9am and I was told that by 6pm someone will drop it by to my room and if I was away, they would take it in and hang it in the room but when I got back at 10pm my suit was not there and I had to chase it up. Initially was sent without my travelling back and again took me 10-15minutes to chase it up.

Last but not least, the oasis restaurant was advertised as fusion food between Italian and Japanese. I was looking forward to try but was taken a back when in fact the restaurant has 2 menus, Italian and Japanese and it wasn't a fusion of the 2. Although the Japanese tepanyaki was good, the sushi and the sashimi were poorly prepared and we did not enjoy that at all. The soy sauce given for the sushi was not the usual Japanese soy sauce.

After all of that, I would still recommend this hotel and would definitely return when I am back in Johor Bahru.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DRS-611
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our helpful team members, our clean and comfortable bedroom and bathroom, room amenities and our Teppanyaki food.

I am most concerned to note of your encounter with our laundry service and I truly regret the inconvenience caused.
This matter has been addressed to our Executive Housekeeper and re-training has been initiated to avoid any similar reoccurrence in the future.
Furthermore our newspaper delivery service shall also be reviewed.

Your specific comments with regards to the sushi, sashimi and the Japanese soya sauce are noted and has been addressed to the relevant Food & Beverage team.

Rest assured we take your feedback very seriously.

Please contact me directly.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Rooms are spacious, modern and very well maintained. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful although the slowness of their computer systems really lets them down.

A good hotel…but it’s the little things that make a good hotel, a great hotel!

I answered a knock on my door to find three staff with a birthday cake (with lit candle) singing happy birthday – what great customer service. It truly made my day.

Room Tip: All rooms facing the pool have a fantastic view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Brenda M
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our spacious bedroom, the modern room concept, our friendly and helpful team members and great customer service from our team.
Your positive feedback will further motivate the team and I to continue to improve the service levels at the property.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed the birthday surprise.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Johor Bahru and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My return trip to this resort. Generally room was comfy, clean n service was good except that the pillows were too soft, my partner n I suffered neck ache. There was not enough warm water. Need to boil another 5 kettles of hot water for my bath. We showered with cold water even after e technician "rectified" e issue. Caught bad cold after that. Food is fantastic at the pool side restaurant serving jap n Italian cuisine. E pizza is a must try item. Priced reasonable. A plus for a Malaysia resort. Alcohol is exceptionally expensive. U need to bring in your own. They don't sell it at the grocery shop downstairs. Overall experience is average for a resort in city. It's worth returning for a quick break for less than 10 mins drive from custom.

• Stayed December 2012
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear reviewer,

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and truly regret the inconvenience caused.
Please accept our profound apologies as our guest’s perception and satisfaction is of utmost importance.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement.
My Chief Engineer has been briefed about the matter so as to avoid any similar reoccurrence.

Your comment with regards to the alcohol pricing is noted and will be looked into.

At present I am finalizing the new hotel pillow specification for the property.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our clean and comfy room, good service and our fantastic food at the Oasis restaurant.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Malaysia
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Travel for Business, first time staying in Johor Bahru.. hotel ambiance was very nice.
Staffs are very friendly and super helpfull. Manager in-charge, Ms Faezah was very helpful and patient in entertaining all my request. Their rooms are very spacious, modern and the view was superb.

My friend told me not to dine in the hotel as the food was not up to the expectation...and he recommended for a "Seafood" at "Tepian Tebrau" about 10 minutes from hotel.
I was asking direction for that place from Indian staff Vikneswary, first time hotel staff recommending guest to dine in Hotel itself and promoted their own cuisine and brought me to try their cuisine in a Restaurant call "OASIS", thanks to her as I realy enjoyed my dinner and food was superb! Thanks again to her, instead of just giving me a direction to dine outside like what other hotel staff did in hotels which I stayed, these lady took the trouble to usher me to that Restaurant and promoting their own specialities. Try to dine in OASIS restaurant,no regrets for listening to her recommendations.

Breakfast was so n so, as my expectation was different as buffet spread with less choice. Waiter and waitress was cheerful with their big smiling faces, nice to see that in the morning

Overall I enjoyed my 2 nights in these Hotel and I will return again in March 2013.

Stayed on 4 January 2013

Room Tip: Request higher floor for a great view (Sea View Rooms) are very nice!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Teh D
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Remarkably, the problems involve almost every department of Thistle Hotel. Few things that I have observed during my stay at the hotel. Here are few points you might want to consider before staying at this "five star" hotel:

1. Front Office - Lack of interpersonal skill by one of the front desk staff (the Filipino or Indonesian girl with a shoulder length hair). Her lack of smile and eye contact while conversing with us was unacceptable. Her voice tone suggested her disinterest to welcome us to the hotel, especially that we were first timers. Her "dont give a damn" face showed disrespect towards us as ordinary human beings. For a hotel staff who works for a five star hotel surely she has undergone hotel training and awares of the hotel standard and most importantly the expectation from the guests. First impression of the hotel was as bad as spoiled eggs.

2. F and B - Tasteless food and overpriced.The food at Fresh food outlet was over priced, they charged us RM 50++ per person for a buffet. We paid extra for beverages. The quality of the food was of poor standard. Not many choices of food. Additionally, the female F and B staff were so unfriendly. Their stoned faces projected out nothing but coldness and misery. These females staff only say "Good morning, Sir" to male guests in a very flirtatous way. Often, they do it purposely while the man are with his wife or girlfriend. I observed this at the restaurant. Room service food was also overpriced and yet tasteless but at least the room service boy was smiley and polite. I think he was Filipino. That is the only good thing about this hotel, really.

Car parking - Super super rude car park ticket attendant at the payment booth.
This would be the main point that you might want to consider before you decide to stay at this hotel, especially to those who drive cars to mobile in Johor. Apparently, this was not the first time it happened. There have been many complaints from the hotel guests. He was a Malay man in his 20s. His manner was of that "pariah" caste. His behaviour towards human beings was brutal. He treated others like a piece of dirt. In his own little world, he thought that he owned the hotel. We had a huge issue with him over a parking fee. The hotel rule is that the hotel guests dont have to pay the parking fee but he insisted us to pay. Be careful of this mannerless male. The question now is has he himself ever wondered why he ended working at a payment booth?

4. Souvenirs quality and staff? What a joke.
Ridiculous price tags for souvenirs which my five year old nephew could make. Rude staff who could not speak English at a FIVE STAR hotel? Hmmmmmmmmm........? She was unquestionably rude to the max, once again no smile, no Sir.

Overall, the most terrible experience I have ever had from a FIVE STAR hotel. It spoiled my only and only weekend off from my job as a lawyer. We decided not to come back to this hotel regardless of any circumstance, even it involves the invasion of the world by aliens or the rise of anacondas, we will not come near the hotel for an alternative accomodation.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank andy_cooper1000
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I apologize for the upset caused. Clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

I am sorry for the fact your check in was not facilitated well. I apologize for your encounter with our less than enthusiastic reception team members.
This matter has been addressed to our Front Office Manager and re-training has been initiated to avoid any similar reoccurrence in the future.

Your feedback with regards to the Food & Beverage team's performance is noted. I apologize for the manner in which our team members acted.
More focus will be given to the team's skills and hospitality training hotel wide. At the same time, our food quality and varieties will be looked into.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our Room Service team member.

Your specific comments with regards to our 3rd party car park attendant and souvenir shop are noted and shall be reviewed moving forward.
Furthermore re-training will also take place with the team in the manner they facilitated your enquiry.

I fully understand the poor perception created, however I do hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed here previously when this used to be a Grand Hyatt, which feels like a charming but dated hotel. Now as Thistle, it is painted over with earthly tone and shiny lobby, but nothing more.

Housekeeping was pretty slow (once we came back at 4.30pm and the room was not done) and the staff are overworked (hint; rude remarks here and there).

Despite being a Legoland affiliated hotel, it is more businesslike than family friendly. Furnishing was bare minimum (only one chair for seating) and the huge toilet are cold (marble floor and all). We didn't have the extra bed requested as it was N/A during the 2 nights we were there. Sofa/arm chair would be nice, but they're not there.. So having room service in the room is a little odd.

Recommended for business traveller.. for family with small kid, I would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I am very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectation on this occasion.

Rest assured I have highlighted your comments for immediate rectification and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your feedback with regards to our customer service is noted. I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service.

Your comment with regards to our room facilities is noted and will be looked into.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel ambiance.