“My wonderful experience staying at Thistle Johor Bharu”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I am a regular visitor to Thistle Johor Bharu and noticed that the level of service has improved tremendously. I am particularly impressed with Mr. Arnel who is the duty manager and his team at the reception, Azian, Mizi and his colleague Tamaddin of the Executive Lounge who are extremely hospitable and friendly and last but not least the concierge team. The availability of free wi-fi and help at the business centre is another reason why business travelers like me choose and will always choose for Thistle Johor Bharu. I strongly recommend Thistle Johor Bharu whenever you are in Johor Bharu.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The main purpose for us to go to JB was to visit Lego Land, there was a long discussion about whether should we stay in Singapore and only do a day trip or stay at JB for two nights. We are glad we have stayed at JB and really like this hotel.

The location is very good, really like our room with sea view and JB town hall; all staffs are friendly and attentive, room is spacious and bathroom is lovely big with separate shower and bath tub. Breakfast has been delightful with local flavor and very kind services. The swimming pool created nice hideaways to unwind and cool off, my son spend lots of time there. All restaurants have good food with smiling faces. We definitely will stay at this hotel again.

The only issue this hotel needs to be aware of is the windows, too thin and too old to prevent road noise. Some windows at the breakfast resultant looked worn off and this can be a safety issue in future.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the sea and swimming pool.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MinibearX
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

My team and I are delighted to read of your comfortable and positive Thistle experience.

Thank you very much for your generous compliments on the hotel, our facilities, location, breakfast spread and service. We are glad that you enjoyed exploring our bustling location and it gives me great pleasure to know that my team members made your feel well-looked after during your stay.

We are nevertheless grateful for your kind comments on our window quality. Your input will certainly be an important contribution as we progress with our plans.

We look forward to extending our hospitality to you again on your next trip to Johor.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel is definitely overrated. The photos in the website is really deceiving, as the actual condition is obviously run down. First off the car park is quite a distant away from the hotel lobby and the route getting there is pretty dark at night. The guys at the reception are friendly and nice, that's all to it. The walkway towards our room has been refurbished recently and looks bright and cosy but I can't say the same about our room. We actually booked their deluxe room for 2nights. The room looks old and dirty. The air condition is hardly working. We turned the thermostat to 10 degrees and its still hot. The mattress was worn out as it felt so spongy it's really difficult to get a good night sleep. The tv cabinet is broken and the safe is not working. The bathroom smells moldy as the ceiling has a lot of water spots. The gym has a few machines that is not working and the pool is old and dirty. Tree leaves and flowers from the trees fell into the pool and was not clean up. Overall thumbs down and not recommended for families traveling to Johor Bahru.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Calvin C

Dear Reviewer,

As we continually endeavour to deliver the best personalised service that all our valued guests deserve, your feedback very much helps us to focus on the areas for improvement.

Your comments regarding our car park, bedroom's interior and cleanliness, air condition, mattress, in room defects, gym and swimming pool have been noted for action as we progress with the hotel's enhancement plans.

Please be assured that your overall experience was not typical of the optimum service that we continually endeavour to achieve.
We understand how this experience has affected your impression of us, but nevertheless hope that you will grant us another opportunity to deliver a better stay experience should you stay with us again in the future.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

First of all people don't trust what I rate the hotel at, take a look at my photos, videos, and review and make your own decision. At first glance the hotel seems nice, and well located however after staying there for several weeks with work I can provide pictures and reviews that may get the traveller to rethink their intentions. All the time I've stayed there its been as a corporate guest and after the experience of staying there it's certainly a place I wouldn't pay my own money to stay at. The first room I stayed in had an air-conditioner that didn't work properly and the room at night was very hot and made sleep near impossible. The second room I got moved to had an air conditioner that sort of worked but after some time a section of the ceiling fell in due to the air conditioner leaking. The 3rd room they moved me to had a serious leak in the window with a puddle of water in the carpet. When I returned again the room I was placed in was really nice to look at but had a lot of mould in the bathroom such that it smelt like wet carpet every morning when you got in. One morning at 12:37am I was woken by the hotel staff informing me that I was to move rooms, but they had made a mistake. The room next door was in fact moving and I didn't get back to sleep till several hours later. The room numbers sound very different both in English and Bahasa Malay and this was just down to some staff members being really slack. The food is really nice but also really expensive. The drinks are a ridiculous price 60RM+($20AUD) for a double shot of whiskey. Keep in mind that the shot size in Malaysia is 15ml so in effect you're paying for a half shot. By comparison a single shot (30ml) in Perth will cost about $10AUD so the Thistle is charging well above and beyond any reasonable price. Best advice is to drink elsewhere. As outlined before the food is really nice but after a while it simply becomes groundhog day as the variety isn't that good. The hotel itself while having a great view is actually fairly isolated, when compared to other hotels in Johor that have plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. All the times I've stayed there the gym and ancillaries have never been 100% functional with a couple of enquiries being met with "we will fix it soon". A real plus is some of the staff and the band. The guys and girls at the oasis bar are really nice and the music is pretty good. All in all most of the people are really nice but they're let down really badly by a few. The hotel whilst a grand old building needs some serious maintenance to bring it up to scratch. A nice hotel but certainly not the best or worst I've stayed at.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lift's and service stairwells and ensure that you tell the hotel in adv...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to learn that our service delivery has fallen below your expectations. All our guests are important and we extend our sincere apologies if you felt a lack of warmth in our hospitality.

I am sorry for the miscommunication incurred in regards to the room changes which has disturbed your sleep. I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service.
It is our aim to improve our service levels at the hotel in all areas and I can assure you that your feedback will play a prominent role.

Your comments regarding our bedroom defects have been noted for action as we progress with the hotel's enhancement plans.

On the other side, thank you for your positive feedback on our friendly team members as well as our food quality.

Thank you for staying with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

A friend told me this was the best hotel in southern Malaysia which is a bit like saying someone is the funniest standup comedian in Germany.

Malaysian hotels are known for their shabbiness as the owners sweat the asset and eek out every ringgit of revenue from deteriorating rooms before the property begins collapsing around the guests like the aftermath of a tornado.

Not so, the Thistle. It appears quite new though it used to be a Hyatt so it isn't new at all. Apparently it closed around 2009 for a thorough refurbishment and rebranding.

It's an international standard hotel that is clean and good quality. Free wifi everywhere. Breakfast choice was good but at first glance catered more for locals rather than international guests (not a complaint - an observation). Room was classy and the bathroom had all the amenities I could think of in sealed pouches. The view from the 7th floor towards Singapore was impressive.

I couldn't work out how to turn off the lobby light in the room so slept with it on all night and my toilet cistern kept running continually. I don't know what was refurbished but despite the room appearing quite new, the sink itself had enamel damage from years of dripping taps which leads me to suspect that not everything was replaced. Could be wrong on this though.
After getting over the strangeness of the UK domestic hotel company managing a property in southern Malaysia, this hotel exceeded any expectations I had and I would always choose to stay here when in JB.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Richard G
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.
Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel cleanliness, classy bedroom, in room amenities as well as our complimentary Wi-Fi service.

Your comments regarding the maintenance defects have been taken into consideration as we progress with future enhancement plans.
It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope for another opportunity to deliver our Thistle hospitality to you, should your travels bring you back to Johor in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Hi, I'm Dato Fadzil, originated 4rm Penang. Thistle Johor Bahru is the one and the only hotel that I would choose to check- in everytime on my visits to Johor Bahru based on my business dealings. My last visit there was my 30th checked- in at Thistle Johor Bahru. I usually go there with my wive. The hospitality there makes us to forget that we're away from our home. During our stay there we always have our breakfast at 'fresh', breakfast serving outlet in the way of buffet style loaded with wide spread of international dishes. There's also 2 coffee machines located at the outlet to let the coffee kick- start our day. Well, the outlet is being operated by Mr. Azrai and his team of staffs while the whole breakfast operation is supervised by Mr. Edwin. Thumbs up for their collaboration. The whole breakfast team is doing great job to maintain their hotel standard and fulfill guests' needs no matter how fussy they are. I would like to praise Mr. Nizam, Mr. Edwin, Mr. Azrai and the overall breakfast team. By the evening time after settle down with my business tasks, me n my wife go to Steps for relaxation. We really love to spend our time there because the staffs at there are really very polite and friendly especially Shashi, Aidah, Ain, Mumi and Deva. Usually we mingle around with the staffs and chat with staffs there. I would to thank and appriciate thistle team especially the F&B department.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

My team and I are deeply touched by your generous compliments and feedback, especially on our service.
It is always a great achievement for us when our guests enjoy outstanding experiences as you did.

I am pleased to learn that you felt welcomed and comfortable while you were with us.
What pleases me the most is that you were well-looked after by our capable team members, who continually work hard to deliver the Thistle hospitality to perfection everyday.

I'm also glad to note that you enjoyed our breakfast spread.

Thank you for your warm feedback and we look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Johor Bahru.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The overall operation of this hotel was good. we were provided with welcome drinks while waiting for uncheck- in. The rooms were spacious and clean. my room package was entitled for breakfast so I just joined the breakfast buffet. I was shocked to see that a lot of guests were there for the breakfast but the supervisor in - charge over there named AZRAI was talented enough to handle the guest's needs. Almost all the staffs who were runned the operation really gave their maximum output to carry out the operation. After the meeting, we went to steps for relax. we were treated very nice by the staffs there especially ShaShi,deva and aidah. In short saying, the services really nice and much to be appreciated. I enjoyed myself at thistle.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Reviewer,

My team and I are heartened to learn that you had a positive experience with us during your recent visit. Your patronage is of great value to us.
All of us are dedicated to deliver the outstanding Thistle hospitality experience to all our guests and I am happy to read that the service you received from my team demonstrated this well.

I also thank you for your glowing compliments on our team members Azrai, Shashi, Deva and Aidah.
The pleasure is ours to learn that our service achieved your expectations.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our spacious and clean bedroom.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to extending our hospitality to you again in the near future.