“Sisters' getaway”

Ranked #11 of 110 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Sisters' getaway”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Went from 30th April to 2nd May, before the Public Holiday crowd.Main purpose to Johor was for Legoland as most people are nowadays and a 1 day tour to Singapore. Booked Thistle as the price was affordable and reasonable compare to other hotels. We booked 2 rooms, 1 from 29th and another from 30th as we were arriving middle of the night. The Front Desk staff gave us the room on 30th instead of 29th and was about to charge us for early check-in, did gave me a shock at first. But when things were sorted, it was just a miscommunication between the staff and my sis. Asked for a hotelier rate, at first he did and I was soooo pleased as it was a huge discount! Unfortunately when we went to our room, they gave us a call and say that there was a mistake as I made the booking through their website I can't have the hotelier rate. Huge dissappointment because at first I was already not expecting to get the rate, they gave it to me only to tell me they can't!
Rooms were really spacious, booked a king size bed and it could fit 3 adults (all ladies though). Basic amenities available but in the second room there were no bathrobe or you could call it as a yukata. But we did not need it so it doesn't bothers, just strange. You will see that the hotel is in need of a bit of fix up in little nooks and corners. Some board lining at the corridor is molded,a corner of our toilet door frame chip off when someone accidentally kicked it because it was molded as well and the shower tap was faulty in our 2nd room.But all in all,it does not affect the comfort of our stay.
Service wise, personally I do not feel much of hospitality from the staff whenever i approach them.
2nd room was booked through Booking.com as the rates was a little cheaper. First time booked through such websites. Upon check out we were informed that the payment for the 2nd have been automatically deducted from my sis's credit card when we check-in but we were not informed beforehand. Not sure if that is the correct procedure but feel insecure that payment was made without our acknowledgement of the amount charged.
Will probably stay here again if we were to visit Johor again, unless we find another better place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Reservation made on the Executive Floor by American Express.

Executive check in was on the ground floor in a separate lobby which was very fast and efficient.

A very pleasant property with great views over the Straits of Johor with Singapore in the distance. Rooms are well appointed and the executive club had a good variety of hot and cold snacks and a free flow of drinks during happy hour. Seating was above average, very comfortable with large windows facing over the sea - great views. Pool looks good and I intended to use it had it not poured with rain!!

Breakfast was adequate in the main dining room, but the congee very watery.

Although I didn't use it, the hotel has a free shuttle bus to shopping locations and to the factory outlet in JB. It has a twice a day shuttle to Legoland also.

A great hotel to relax

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had our sister's wedding Liyana & Haziq on 11/4 & 12/4 with Thistle.
Our whole family and extended family stayed at the hotel as well.

The team were professional, very accommodating with our antics, requests, and each one touches our hearts tremendously. Not forgetting tolerating the wedding dramas! (I will never forget how Mr Adzmi came running to me with a coffee to calm my 'Sister-of-The-Bride' nerves! =p)
Without them we would not be able to have Liyana's dream wedding!

A big THANK YOU to Mr Sulaiman, Mr Adzmi, Ms Fieza, Mr Zulhanizam, Mr Shahrizal, Mr Ari Prima, Chef Imran, Chef Khairi and Ms Nor Pasma!
You guys rock my socks! xoxox

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We visited Legoland and stayed at the Thistle. The hotel is not up to standard. Basic amenities are lacking, such as bathrobes and decent toilet paper. The buffet breakfast is not great. The English breakfast is available, only it is prepared in the smoking section. Really tough to have to queue for an omelette in the smoking section. Tough, but we feel we could have done better. There are great hotels in Malaysia, and this one is not even average.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Heinrich O

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for a nite over weekend to attend a function nearby. Been to the hotel before a few months back and this time round, I feel the service dropped a little. Upon arrival, it was way past the check in time. Reception initially gave my family 2 rooms at different floors which I requested in my booking on their official website to have rooms at least near each other if can't get connecting rooms. Finally, the reception staff gave us rooms on the same floor. Thank you for the effort.

Breakfast table was not cleared properly. My table cloth still has the food crumbs n stains by the previous diners. Spread wise average. Not very well balanced spread as in lack of choices in vegetables. Only salad is available. I'm not been choosy here but if you are paying for the breakfast in a 5star hotel, you'll expect more variety isn't it?

One more thing is some guests are very inconsiderate. Smoking at the lift area in a non smoking floor! Seriously I doubt the security cameras n smoke detector are working. I personally saw a guest smoking there! The smoke actually stink up the whole area at the lift and the corridor. I think the hotel should put up a sign in all the non smoking floor stating all areas are smoke free area and if they wish to smoke, proceed to the ground floor lobby! I've seen such signs before in other hotels at their non smoking floors. Some guests are just so inconsiderate and selfish. It is hotel's responsibility to curb such behaviour. That's why we have non smoking floors!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
More og Romsdal, Norway
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the Thistle in JB many times. The hotel facilities and the service is good, but a little lacking in that little extra service you expect for returning guests, which some hotels are so good at. The outside pool area is very nice and the gym is well equipped. Try to get a room on level 15 or 16 for access to the business lounge, where you can have a quick and quiet breakfast in the morning.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Trond B
Caneva, Italy
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have been there several times and my stay has always been excellent, particularly after a day of hard work. The relaxing atmosphere, the wide spaces and the right mix between quiet and busy make of it a very enjoyable place where to stay. The staff is kind, truly smiling and happy to help. In particular Mizi and his colleagues are able to give you the service you need, mixed with the day-to-day chat, with the right tact, never being intrusive in your business. Facilities are good, food excellent, rooms looked after. I truly recommend it. Fabio

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business