“Comfortable, Smart, Good Value Hotel”

Thistle Johor Bahru
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Arrived late in the evening and so was pleasantly surprised at how 'resorty' it looked in the evening. Much smarter than what I had imagined this being my first trip to Johor Bahru. I was running late and so was very grateful for the 2 minute check-in at reception and the staff were most helpful. The only clue that this is an older hotel is in the bathrooms....functional but tired looking, circa 1970's. Only small gribe was that breakfast was disappointing in terms of selection as well as the layout of the buffet....the stations were just too far apart for early morning. Will definitely stay there again and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Thistle Johor Bahru

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My cousin and I always go to Thistle for drinks and sometimes we do stay there once a month
I must say that we are rather amazed with the hospitality by the check in staff and most of all the Concierge boys : Zul. Razali. John Din, Barat.The rooms are nice and with the sea view. Comfy beds. Really pleased.

At the café ( Steps ) the staff there are really doing a great job.. Especially, Sashi, Edwin, Aain and Mumi. They have never failed to impress me all the time. Their smile makes me keep going back there again.

However on one occasion as I was walking in from the main entrance as usual the Bell boys greeted me and spoke to me ..

But there was a rather unfriendly Duty Manager at the main door by the name of " Arnel".. Now this guy refused to smile nor greet or do the usual Thistle gesture of putting his hand to his chest. Instead he just have me one hard stare.. Now this has really put me off ! I really don't deserve that and I feel for a 5 star hotel... the staff and especially Duty Managers like this guy should be more courteous and friendly towards just any guest,

I hope this will improve as its clearly an attitude problem with this guy I guess !

Generally , the for the rest of the staff there at Thistle especially those mentioned above are doing a splendid job and am happy.

Pcc

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, even for Johor's standards, which we expected lesser. The architectural of this place is unique, and the hotel is huge and spacious. It appeared rather newly furnished.

The foyers were spacious and gleaming in lovely lights. The staff were very polite and service was impeccable.

The pool side offered great views with different pools in varying sizes as well as bridges to add to the scenic sights.

There are several restaurants here - serving buffet or ala carte Western food that tasted rather good.

Location of the place is a little far in, but is is near Dunga Bay so we get some sea breezes at times.

The rooms were spacious and tastefully decorated. The furniture were comfortable and clean.

All in all, this was a good stay for a reasonable price.

For more detailed information and photos, please visit:

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Having tried several places in Johor, all being ok, the Thistle is the first place that is seemless.Rooms are reasonably sized and outfitted( although the tubs could do with an overhaul).The beds were very good,had a small walk-in for clothes and the safe(which means you don't have to get on your knees with a flashlight),views through floor to ceiling windows gave lots of light.
Restaurants are good, as is room service.They provide bottles of water in lobby,as in the room.One thing that sets it aside is the pool area and services.There was an abundance of lounge chairs with mattresses and for each 2 chairs they had a cooler full of ice and water.The pool remained open until 9 p.m.which allows you to enjoy it in the evening.Next to pool is an outdoor restaurant.Service at pool was very good.Fitness area and spa are next to pool.A sports bar and several restaurants are in lobby area as well as a convenience store.One just enjoys handing out around pool area for long periods of time.

Check in and out was very fast.For most of everything you need a taxi to get you there,except for a few local eateries around the corner,in case you want to eat cheap of buy drinks.We didn't mind that as it is much better to be in a hotel that you can enjoy,especially with children who like pools.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Went from 30th April to 2nd May, before the Public Holiday crowd.Main purpose to Johor was for Legoland as most people are nowadays and a 1 day tour to Singapore. Booked Thistle as the price was affordable and reasonable compare to other hotels. We booked 2 rooms, 1 from 29th and another from 30th as we were arriving middle of the night. The Front Desk staff gave us the room on 30th instead of 29th and was about to charge us for early check-in, did gave me a shock at first. But when things were sorted, it was just a miscommunication between the staff and my sis. Asked for a hotelier rate, at first he did and I was soooo pleased as it was a huge discount! Unfortunately when we went to our room, they gave us a call and say that there was a mistake as I made the booking through their website I can't have the hotelier rate. Huge dissappointment because at first I was already not expecting to get the rate, they gave it to me only to tell me they can't!
Rooms were really spacious, booked a king size bed and it could fit 3 adults (all ladies though). Basic amenities available but in the second room there were no bathrobe or you could call it as a yukata. But we did not need it so it doesn't bothers, just strange. You will see that the hotel is in need of a bit of fix up in little nooks and corners. Some board lining at the corridor is molded,a corner of our toilet door frame chip off when someone accidentally kicked it because it was molded as well and the shower tap was faulty in our 2nd room.But all in all,it does not affect the comfort of our stay.
Service wise, personally I do not feel much of hospitality from the staff whenever i approach them.
2nd room was booked through Booking.com as the rates was a little cheaper. First time booked through such websites. Upon check out we were informed that the payment for the 2nd have been automatically deducted from my sis's credit card when we check-in but we were not informed beforehand. Not sure if that is the correct procedure but feel insecure that payment was made without our acknowledgement of the amount charged.
Will probably stay here again if we were to visit Johor again, unless we find another better place to stay.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Reservation made on the Executive Floor by American Express.

Executive check in was on the ground floor in a separate lobby which was very fast and efficient.

A very pleasant property with great views over the Straits of Johor with Singapore in the distance. Rooms are well appointed and the executive club had a good variety of hot and cold snacks and a free flow of drinks during happy hour. Seating was above average, very comfortable with large windows facing over the sea - great views. Pool looks good and I intended to use it had it not poured with rain!!

Breakfast was adequate in the main dining room, but the congee very watery.

Although I didn't use it, the hotel has a free shuttle bus to shopping locations and to the factory outlet in JB. It has a twice a day shuttle to Legoland also.

A great hotel to relax

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had our sister's wedding Liyana & Haziq on 11/4 & 12/4 with Thistle.
Our whole family and extended family stayed at the hotel as well.

The team were professional, very accommodating with our antics, requests, and each one touches our hearts tremendously. Not forgetting tolerating the wedding dramas! (I will never forget how Mr Adzmi came running to me with a coffee to calm my 'Sister-of-The-Bride' nerves! =p)
Without them we would not be able to have Liyana's dream wedding!

A big THANK YOU to Mr Sulaiman, Mr Adzmi, Ms Fieza, Mr Zulhanizam, Mr Shahrizal, Mr Ari Prima, Chef Imran, Chef Khairi and Ms Nor Pasma!
You guys rock my socks! xoxox