“Not as bad as I thought it would be...”

Hotel Grand Paragon
Ranked #20 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore, Singapore
“Not as bad as I thought it would be...”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed in the hotel as it was part of a one night stay package to Legoland. To be honest, my expectations were low after reading the numerous negative comments on tripadvisor. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be.

Rooms were decent, spacious and not bad decor. Beds were comfy. The main complaint I would have is that the toilet choked on the 2nd day. I guess thankfully it happpened when we were checking out so I didn't make much of a fuss about it.

F&B : The F&B was the plus point. We tried the food at the Japanese Restaurant (sashimi was very fresh) and the cafe downstairs (for dinner & breakfast). Spread was pretty good for the dinner buffet price) and the FOC breakfast was definitely better than some of the asian hotels I've stayed in..great selection of breakfast choice..no complaints at all

Service : I have to say that I received pretty good service at the hotel..the service staff were prompt and polite..the front office desk were courteous and even though I'd left my room key in my room - twice and had to ask for a new key again and again.

Overall,it was okay especially with the amt I paid for the legoland package.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Angelia23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 8 March 2013

It is quite an arduous task for a traveller to find a good hotel in jb, so when we stumble on one..we will quite make it a mainstay. Alas, we could not say the same about this hotel. On a couple few times that we booked the family suite, we noticed that the staff were very misinformed. We made special arrangements 2 weeks before we checked in to choose the suite that we would like to book for. But to our disdain, when we got there, we were given a different room. Highlighted to the front desk about our prior effort, we were told that no such arrangement was made. To think that we actually had turned up 2 weeks before the actual date, it was a disappointment. The room was acceptably clean but the glass windows need a good washing. The pool was not heated hence the water was freaking cold. The breakfast was not too bad and staff at the para para cafe was pleasantly attentive and accommodating. Locality wise, it is very accessible to KSL city and Pelangi Mall.

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ShahandImran
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I had a couple of stays in this hotel, same as some of my friewnds and overseas visitors. The rooms are not big just ok, the breakfast has miles to catch up with the class and choices of breakfast like in Mutiara for example.
The worst experience is the club/bar/bistro on 26th floor.
Since years the same old "band" (some amateur songers rotating every two songs) is not the only deficiancy. It happened that one day, I paid first bill ("cashier want to close for happy hour") by card, second bill ("cigarettes must pay cashg separately"), third bill ("the food ordered is from coffeeshop not from us"), and a forth final bill when leaving.
How ridiculous can you be not being able to consolidate payments into one bill and get your freaking lazy mismanaged accounts to work this out for customer convenience ? Ridiculous !!

Room Tip: Stay in Mutiara or Thistle.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed there twice and I enjoyed each of my stay. The lobby was very grand and the rooms did not disappoint. Room was big. There is a premium feel to the interior decor - marble desks, huge sofas and nicely carpeted floors.

Washroom very clean and well maintained. What I really liked was the wide range of toiletries provided.

The only thing I didn't like was there seemed to be a tinge of strange odour in the room. I suspect it may be cigarette smell. Oh and don't forget this hotel allows people to smoke wherever they want, so be prepared to tolerate cigarette smell in the lobby and along the walkways.

Service was unfortunately quite mediocre. There is nevertheless room for improvement. We tried calling the concierge many times but nobody bothered to answer our calls. I had to go down personally to get things done. Also, while we were thankful that the valet service lent us an umbrella when it started pouring heavily, for some reason or another they had to make us stand there and wait for 20 minutes when we wanted to simply return an umbrella.

Last but not least, the breakfast spread was excellent! Lots of variety - chicken, fried vermicelli, chicken porridge, chawanmushi, simple dim sum, fruits, just to name a few.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Was there for weekend trip. The toilet bowl leaks and there is a stain on the towel. At night the bed was hot and itchy. Strange smell on the corridor.

The gym was not as good as it looks. The location was good as there is a hawker just behind the hotel. Breakfast option was only so so.

Overall, will be unlikely to return.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ray198
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

I have stayed this hotel few time's. It really nice. Staff of reception is friendly. I will back for stay if I am travel to johor. Breakfast was nice. Facilities is great. Feel secure staying at this hotel

• Stayed February 2013
Cavite City, Philippines
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of our family vacation and visit to Legoland. they arranged the transfers for us and the hotel itself is really clean, the rooms are very impressive and the toilet is clean and really big, we stayed at the 21st floor. they have good selection for a buffet breakfast. there is a convenience store at the ground floor incase you need something. we didnt get the chance to use the pool because of our tight schedule, but we did check the pool area and it is clean. The rate is all higher than most hotels in the area but definitely worth it.

Room Tip: ask for the non-smoking floor
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family