“Value for money”

Hotel Grand Paragon
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom Family unit which comes with a living room and kitchenette, two bath tubs and 3 TVs. With a buffet breakfast, the price was very reasonable. It is a short drive from the Link 1 causeway, a short walk to KSL city mall, and a 30 min drive to Hello Kitty Town and Legoland. The only thing I didn't like about it was that all Family units were smoking rooms, and it was quite smoky when we checked in.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Stayed 2 nites with famiy of 3 adults & 1child.Though the hotel is not a new hotel. Check in & out was very breeze. Ask for extra pillow & bathrobe came in less than 5 mins. Wifi in the room is unlimited users which is very advantage as we have smartphones & Ipods. 2 super singles beds can fit all of us. The beds is just slightly smaller than queen size. Breakfast was not that bad.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Pretty much an average hotel. Booked for a deluxe room for one night and it wasn't any disappointment nor anything wow for that reason. Walking distance to KSL Mall and breakfast is excellent. Might stay here again for short getaways in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Hotel Room : Our room is Deluxe Room, big room and nice view from 21st floor, also can see the sea view from a part. Comfortable bed and pillow. Clean bathroom with bathtub...

Staff : Friendly

Breakfast : International buffet breakfast, taste was nice, we like this hotel breakfast

Location : Good location, walked about 10-15 minutes can reach KSL Shopping Mall (the road you walked to the shopping mall is main road, so quite safe, we walked at night time also)
And also 5-10 minutes can reach the Pelangi Plaza, but we never go there.
Behind of hotel is a hawker center which got many foods and price are reasonable, just need to take you about 3-5 minutes only

Room Tip: Request for a higher floor room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I chose this hotel based on TA reviews and some research on my own for a short trip for a group of 7 friends. Reservation was easy via their online system and email responses came quickly as well.

PRICE - We paid 2 x Family Suites (each equipped with 2 bedrooms) and paid MYR630nett for each suite including breakfast for 4pax each which was not too bad a deal.

CHECKING IN - We arrived on a Sat morning 9am and obviously we were early so we came back late afternoon about 4pm (usual check in time is 3pm) and received the keys to our rooms. There were adequate staffing at the check in counters to assist guests though.

ROOMS - We were assigned 1304 and 1307. The rooms were very spacious and each bedroom in each suite was too - so much so it felt that there were a lot of wasted space in the rooms. Amenities were average though. Room 1304 was a corridor room and the layout was usual with the living room in the middle and the 2 bedrooms to the left and right. Room 1307 was a corner room so it had a more awkward layout with a smaller living room and then the rooms to each side of it. The bedrooms had 1 king and 2 double beds in each - the double beds can in fact sleep 2 comfortably - and each bedrooms has its own washroom, Each suite is also allowed to put in a max of 2 extra rooms although the space would have allowed for many more. The cleanliness in 1307 can be better though, with stained linens (which I didnt bother to seek a replacement for since its only for 1 night) and dusty couches.

FACILITIES - Apparently the hotel has it own spa on level 5 which is reasonably priced. Also a pooi, gym and your usual offerings.

RESTAURANTS - I only had breakfast at the Para Para restaurant (ground floor) hotel which was alright. I could see that they try to do well on the variety but nothing was excellent in terms of quality. The place was also quite bustling when we were there.

CHECK OUT - Check out was quick since our bill was quite simple and we paid in cash. They also tore the credit card deposit on the spot in my presence which was good.

SERVICE - Service in general was nothing to complain about since we didnt spend a lot of time in the hotel itself. A call for a wine opener was quickly answered to which was a plus point.

LOCATION - The nearest mall is KSL which was big and offered many options for a 2d1n trip but the walk from the hotel to the mall takes about 10-15mins at leisure pace. The route is also extremely un-sheltered so be prepared to brave the elements (heat / rain) if you are unlucky.

Although nothing memorable, this must already be one of the better hotels in JB. I will definitely stay here again but I will probably request for 1304 again or any room along the corridor as I feel housekeeping pays more attention to those than the corner ones.

Room Tip: Pick a corridor room maybe?
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hburn10
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Expected a lousy hotel because the location and looks of this building from the outside just isn't that good. However, the room interior surprised me. I was on the 20th storey, and my room is a corner, big one. Facilities is complete, with football channel, good free wi-fi, excellent unblocked view, iron, safety deposit box, hangers, kettle, coffee and tea, bedroom slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste, and the standard shower and hair gel. I couldn't ask for more. Bed is soft and comfy. Room is spacious. Bathroom is extremely big, with two shower areas, and working showers. Enjoyed the bathtub.

My only gripe is the service. Not that it is bad, but I think it can be better - faster, and more responsive. The people at the cafe did not give me fork and spoon when I takeaway a cheesecake, until I asked for it. Concierge is okay, but could be a little more efficient.

I also counted the shop service under service component. My husband and I went to do massage at their in-hotel shop. It isn't very good, so might as well skip that. It is expensive too.

I like that they helped me call a cab to City Square pretty fast.

Location can be hard to find if you're going on your own. But I went with a bus, so no problem. The hotel is very near to City Square/Causeway, so cab is only S$3-S$4.

Breakfast cafe is large, and has a reasonable spread. But would be better if they serve more real food instead of flour.

Other than that, I think this hotel is a great venue for business, and people who want a proper gym and pool.

Room Tip: Corner suite with double bed and bathtub is large, bright, and comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank girlgirl66
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at the 23rd floor room, which is very spacious. It has a partitioned wall to separate the living area and the bedroom. Good to conduct discussions as you then save on not having to rent a meeting room. The room is comfortable and quiet. However, the wifi was not that strong and I had to find the best location in the room to get the best coverage. The food at the coffee house are reasonable but breakfast in the morning is quite crowded. Not very easy to locate the hotel if you are not familiar with the city. At night you do hear the music which I think comes from the upper floor lounge. They could use better quality towels.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business