“Still the same old hotel”

Hotel Grand Paragon
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This is not my 1st stay, but we still chose here as its centrally located. We check in on the 16th floor non-smoking room, funiture is still the same, but could used to some refurnishing. Fridge was not working, bathtub could used another layer of varnish.
Mineral water, coffee & tea was provided. Bath towel has a hole. So if u are a fussy person bring yr own towels.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isis71

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Arrived from KL on working day to attend a business function held in the evening.

Average impression and no one assisted to offer to take my luggage except to pointed to the receptionist. Didn't feel welcomed as the front desk personnel seemed to be too stress up.

Arrived at the designated level, sand and broken porcelain on the carpet as I exit the elevator. Ambience of the hallway, dark and gloomy, unpleasant smell of the carpet.

Entered the room, fresh beddings, but dirty iron, stained on the table lamp. 2 sets of cups but only 1 spoon provided.

Bathroom badly maintained, paint crack and mould spots on the ceiling, not enough lighting, shower door and the bathroom door to close to one another, mouldy wall in between of the ceramic (till you can even lightly scrub it off with your finger), dirty floor and worse case, the blocked sewerage in the shower. The water unable to flow down and flooded the bathroom.

Chair in the room is bad in shape. The cover is due for replacement.

Called house-keeping at 11 PM to request for in-room coffee replacement. No one pick-up. Give-up at 4th attempt.

The staffs are friendly probably trying hard to make-up on the bad hotel condition. Yet too much to bear for me as I am not travelling for leisure and require a decent & clean room to relax before and after my business presentation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here from March 9-11 2014 with my mother. She suffered a stroke a few years ago and walks slowly with a cane. Upon check-in the security guard without being asked immediately brought over a wheel chair and offered to wheel her to our room.
The room on the 22nd floor was a little smoky but bearable typical of Malaysian hotels. The price of the room included two pretty good buffet breakfasts. When we went for breakfast, the server was very helpful in setting up the chairs to accommodate the wheelchair. It may not seem like a big deal but if you were traveling with a person who needs care, you appreciate it. I spoke to the manager Calvin to let him know of the good service. He even personally help my mom into our car at the end of our stay. Thanks!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mersey88
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a pretty good business hotel, you'll get more peace staying in higher floors. Overall, the room is quite big and they serve a variety of food during breakfast. You may take a short walk (approximately 5-10 mins walk) to the KSL City Mall for some shopping if you like. There is also a food court right beside the hotel, just a short walk to the back of the hotel. I'd recommend the baked fish (southern style) from one of the stalls in the food court in the evening.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights early February 14. My room stank of stale smoke, I complained and was told all standard rooms were smoking. The room smelled terrible so I moved the bedside tables in my room and there were were two old used cigarette butts under them, some old pieces of food and lots of hair. I called the reception, and showed this to a cleaner who re-hoovered the room.
I went to use the gym, and 7 of the cardio machines were out of service this just left 3 working. To get to the gym from my floor, I had to go down to the 6th floor from the 9th, then up to the 11th. The smell and room standard on this 6th floor, which looked like suites were a cut above the poor standard of the room I was in. I ordered room service that night, and placed my dirty plates outside the door at 8pm, when I bent down you could see the dirt in the carpet outside the door. When I returned from a work meeting at 6pm the next day, the dirty plates were still there.
At 130am that night I was awoken by knocking on my door. I went outside and there were 2 men from maintenance and they asked if I had called them. I hadnt, I was asleep !!! I told them to take away the dirty plates though, that were still there some 30hrs after being put outside !!

I tried to get back to sleep, but at 230am the phone in my room rang twice, then hung up. I called reception and told them what I thought of their useless hotel.

Only positive here was the restaurant downstairs, where I had 2 meals and they were excellent. The rest was a disaster.

Room Tip: Dont stay on the 9th floor, unless you love the stench of dirt and smoke. 6th Floor looked like a re...
1  Thank seamusHuaHin
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After warm welcome I found the hotel overall in good condition. Friendly and helpful staff, room size fully acceptable and cleanliness as expected to be ok. Well located for trips to Singapore, shopping mall five minutes walk. Prompt room service, good quality of food. Pool at the top floor could sufficiant to refresh and gym next to pool area. Check-in/check-out smoothly. Stayed 2 days for business trip and nothing to complain.

Room Tip: Take the suite for a slidely bit more.
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed in a deluxe room while in JB on business. Room is in good condition with a nice big-screen tv for relaxation. Bathroom was large with bathtub and shower facility and a nice touch was the range of toiletries available including toothbrush and toothpaste if you forgot to bring yours. The room was also provided with a kettle and coffee/tea-making facilities. There is also a safe deposit box to store valuables. Wireless wifi is provided free although connection might depend on how far your room is from the nearest router.

The air-conditioning in the rooms was nice and powerful which makes a big difference when you've spent the whole day in the hot sweltering outdoors.

About the only issue I have with the service and facilities is the fact that the wireless internet was a bit slow. Otherwise, it's a decent business hotel to stay in with rooms in better condition than some of its nearby neighbours.