“A Pleasant Surprise”

Tune Hotel Danga Bay
Ranked #13 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I had a bad experience with Tunes Hotel in LCCT (super cramped) and wasn't looking forward to staying a night at Danga Bay. However, the next day, my opinions of this hotel were changed completely.

Room: It was more spacious than I had expected. I was pleasantly surprised. The bed was comfortable, the room is really clean, it has a window (very important) and the bathroom was decent as well. I had a comfortable sleep!

Location: Not so good. It's quite far from the city center, which makes it a bit of a hassle for those without proper transport. We came by car so went to check out Danga Bay (surprisingly nice, wish it was better promoted though) and Festive Walk is definitely closed. However, there are several restaurants at the shoplots located nearby. You don't HAVE to cross the road for food or limit yourself to the Indonesian restaurant at the hotel.

The staff are friendly and nice. The free wifi is a great extra touch. We enjoyed our brief stay and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Tune Hotel Danga Bay is value for money. Rooms were surprising spacious, considering its true aim of just providing 5-Star Sleeps at 1-Star Price. I've stayed at Tune Hotel at Kota Damansara, and also at KLIA-LCCT. The rooms at Danga Bay branch is definitely more spacious than the one at KLIA-LCCT.

Tune Hotel Danga Bay serves as a stop point for travellers heading to S'pore. And Tune Hotel has tied-up with supposed luxury coach services to serve the Tune Hotel Danga Bay to Marina Bay Sands or Sentosa Resorts World route.

Compass Coach serves the MBS to Tune Hotel Danga Bay route. But at all cost, DO NOT take Compass Coach. Extremely unprofessional. On their website, Compass Coach lists down various departure timings for the MSB to Tune Hotel Danga Bay route, or vice versa. They are marketed as a luxury coach service that is safe and convenient. There was supposed to be on-board meals for the journey that comes with your ticket price. And also free WIFI. Sounds good? Absolutely not!

I had booked my elderly parents on the 0900hrs departure from MBS to Tune Hotel Danga Bay. When they got to MBS, there was no coach, and neither was there any staff at the Compass Coach counter at MBS. By 0915hrs, still no sign of a coach nor staff. By 0945hrs, the situation has not changed. We called the branch at Tune Hotel Danga Bay, and they told us the staff taking care of the MBS counter had quit, so no one is available to check for Online Ticket Purchases!

No one checks their Online Ticketing System, and Compass Coach assumes no passengers have already duly paid for their tickets. My parents were left stranded because the Compass Coach staff at Tune Hotel Danga Bay told us that there is NO coach departing MBS at 0900hrs after all, since NO ONE had realised my parents were ticket-holders to board that coach.

They said they will dispatch the coach from JB to MBS, but that means my parents will be stranded at MBS till 1230hrs. And no offer of any other solution.

Then finally, the manager agreed to reimburse my parents for their taxi fare if they were to take a taxi into Tune Hotel Danga Bay from MBS S'pore.

The point is not so much about the reimbursement. Who is going to take responsibility if something were to happen to my elderly parents whilst on the way to Tune Hotel Danga Bay? How can I ensure that the taxis they will be sitting in will be as safe as Compass Coach was supposed to be?

AVOID Compass Coach service at all costs, or your holiday will be ruined!

Room Tip: AVOID Tune Hotel's Compass Coach service!
  • Stayed March 2011
4 Thank kevintang03
Reviewed 31 March 2011

like it because of the price is cheap. nice rooms. simple and sweet. love the location. a simple hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Caloocan
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I travelled with my family and pre-booked 3 rooms last year when Tune Hotels offered special opening rates. I stayed on several Tune Hotels in Malaysia and this hotel in JB is the nicest one so far. Air-conditioning system along the hallways are being added and provided the needed comfort for the scorching heat of the weather. The hotel lobby is very chic in design. With free internet access ( maximum of 30 minutes per login) available on several PC stations also in the lobby. We were given 3 adjacent rooms but the room 601 toilet has the foul " fesces" smell. The other rooms 602 and 603 are Ok so far. Room cleaning is done only after 3 PM accirding to the receptionist when we asked our room to be cleaned during lucnhtime when we were out.
The hotel is far from the city center, hotel guests needs to call for a taxi to fetch them from the hotel. Since we were travelling on a group of 5, taxi service is not feasible. We managed to arrange for an airport transfer from the New asia holiday travel agents (Raaj) at MR53 one way. Going to singapore is also very convenient because the tourist shuttle bus of genesis and odyssey has a ticketing office inside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank virstud
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Danga Bay, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Hi There,

Thank you for dropping a feedback on your recent visit to our Tune Hotels Danga Bay.

Glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for all your positive comments.

The toilet smell at room 601 has been rectified. This was due to the clogged toilet drainage causing a slowdown during the clearing process.

Rest assured this has been sorted out; glad that you enjoyed the other parts of your stay and we hope to have the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Hi,

I thought sharing my experience at this hotel as it will benefit other fellow travelers. My self and family stayed at this hotel in March. We selected this hotel since it was close to the boarder with Singapore and there was a shuttle bus service operating to Universal studios for which we were planing on visiting.

The hotel is new just opened in 2010 and facilities were of acceptable standard. There is a Indonesian restaurant and seven eleven convinced store at the hotel.

The location of the hotel is very bad as its far from the city centre (JB) There are no attractions that are of walking distance. Prior to my arrival at the hotel the management informed me that there is a shopping location Festive Mall which is of walking distance. I visited this mall on my arrival. The mall is a deserted building. All businesses have vacated the building and its deserted. This mall is no longer functioning.

To get to the city you need to cross a 8 lane highway. There is no crossing (overhead or underground) available. You have to risk your life or getting caught to the police when crossing the highway. There are no cabs close by. Passerby cabs are reluctant to stop since its the highway. Buses too do not stop since there is no bus stop close by. You need to wait and wait and pray that some cab\bus guy sympathizes you and picks you up.

There is a travel counter available at the hotel. A guy named RAJ prominently advertises his telephone number (0167943322) for organized tours. For our departure we booked his services to drop us at the Larking bus terminal. RAJ confirmed that he would pick us up at 10:00pm for us to catch our bus at Larking. At 9:45pm i telephoned RAJ and inquired on our transport. At this last minute he informs me that i did not confirm with him though i confirmed and agreed on everything. I was sooo disappointed and let down. Fortunately the counter staff agreed to get me a cab so that i would not miss my bus. Please take care when you book with this guy named RAJ. My advise do not use his service since he is so unreliable. He has only a limited number of vehicles. If he gets a better deal he will just leave you stranded. I made a complain with the hotel as well not to advertise plople who cannot be trusted with their service.

All in all the hotel is good but the location is terrible

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ImranHassen
Hi There,

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to our hotel.

Here are some of the places you could try out at your next visit:

* Danga Bay Marina Club

* Danga Beach / Danga Cruise 8

* Danga World Amusement and Water Taxi

* Danga Bay Petting Zoo

These are some of the places nearby the hotel, approximately between 10 - 15 minutes walk.

I have sent your feedback to our concessionaire transportation provider; New Holiday for improvements on their scheduled arrangements. Am glad that the front-desk was able to assist you with an alternative transportation.

Thank you for the review and we hope to have the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 10 March 2011

This is my second review on Tune Hotel, Danga Bay. I'm a regular business traveller and has been staying in this hotel almost every month since it opend last year, 2010. Generally, i'm sill love the concept of this hotel, non-frill, which is exactly like Air Asia.

Many poeple don't realise that when we stay in a full service hotel, somethime we need to pay sometthing that we actually don't use at all. For example, in my case, the mini bar, the tower, hair dryer, writting table, gym, swimming pool, bathtub, the TV, even the breakfast. So Tune Hotel is targeting customer like me who just need a clean and comfortable place to stay. Checkout time is 10am but this is not a problem for most of the business traveller since many of them check out before 8am!!! So when i'm on a realaxing holiday, need to nice looking hotel, swim the the pool, enjoy my breakfast with sunny side up, exercise on the gym, watching TV or surfing the internet in wifi full day in my room, relaxing on the bathtub, definately i'm not going to stay in Tune Hotel. I'll stay in some 4 or 5 star hotel, but exepcted to pay at least 4x the price of Tune hotel.

Okay, lets come back to Tune Hotel Danga Bay. Based on my last visit on the 2nd and 3rd of March 2011, i did notice tha the general cleanliness is deteriote. For example, in my room I found some hair on the floor when i had just came into the room, I.e. no vacuum cleaning. And there is a disgusting stain on the wall roughly four feets away from the TV. The are vsible yellowish dirt accumulte around the toilet seat. The overhead fan is full of fingerprint and dust. The funny part is there was two black footprint on the floor of showe place after room service on my second day stay.

As commom as the sun rise from the east, every room that i had stayed in Tune Hotel Danga Bay will be flooded during shower, design flaw perhaps.

I'll still coming back for the hotel on my april trip to Johor Bahru, it is still relatively clean compare to other budget hotel in JB city. But i have to admit that should the cleanliness of the hotel is deteriote somemore, i'll change my mind and stay in ohter hotel

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cheongzai
Hi There,

Thank you for completing a TA Review on your recent visit.

I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay and I appreciate your feedback, which will enable us to review our service standards.

Though we are glad that you are still an ardent fan of Tune Hotels, rest assured since, cleanliness has always been one of our priorities and something we do not compromise.

If on any occasion we have slipped into the cracks, these issues will be swiftly resolved by the front-desk team if this was escalated to them.

I am not sure if you had brought this matter to the front-desk, however the front-desk would be able to assist by relocating you to a different room should there be one available. Or the least, request for housekeeping.

In any case we apologize sincerely for this unpleasantness marring your stay - thank you once again for highlighting the matter to us for our action.

Regards,
Sharon-Customer Care
Singapore
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I have been travelling around Asia for the past 3 years and stayed in at least 30 hotels. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life. First of all, the room is very small and closely partition together. I feel like entering a prison when walking along the corridoor. Each room is no differences when compare to a prison cell. There isnt hardly any space to walk and no cupboard provided.

Secondly, I dont find it reasonable to charge extra for the basic appliances. These basic items such as television using antenna, hair dryer and aircon should come along with the hotel fee. There also shouldn't be any limitation in its usage.

This hotel charge extra for any basic item you need to use and there is a usage limit. it appeared to be smart, but you won't have any return customer for future. There is no electonic kettle for boiling water and no cup or mug for driinking water or rinse your mouth. can this still be named as a hotel?

Finally, this hotel check out time is 10am in the morning. I got a shock when i heard it. I never heard such an early hour to check out in my life They are hoping that you will pay for another day accommdation if you can't get up early enough. This is really a very stupid way of doing business! Who would want to stay here again?

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Mazwell
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Danga Bay, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Hi There,

Thank you for your comments from your stay at Tune Hotels Danga Bay.

Perhaps you are not familiar with our limited service concept .

Tune Hotels requires extra payment for anything that is not an elemental part of a stay.

For non-essential items such as TV, Wi-Fi, tea and coffee and hairdryers, guests only pay if they need them. Guests not using the extra facilities won't be charged for them as part of the room price. The benefit of this efficiency is passed on to the consumer providing excellent value for money and low prices.

The Tune Hotels proposition appeals to a very broad set of customers and is particularly targeted at the value-conscious consumer which is a growing segment of the market.

This compares favourably with the rates at other budget hotel brands and reflects in large part the impact of the space and cost efficiency of the Tune concept.

Our concept may not be for everyone, but many find our hotel an "acquired taste”. It appeals to budget conscious back packers and perfect for people who just want a good price on a user pays basis.

All hotels vary on the basis of opearational procedures and concept. Term and conditions are in place to relay them to the general public. It primarily serves the purpose of educating them on what to expect and for them to prepare the travel schedule to avoid any discomfort.

Thank you for tuning in and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future