“satisfactory service”

Ranked #37 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Pontevedra, Spain
“satisfactory service”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The staff especially Eugene and the guard who was on duty in the night were great. Most of the receptionists were cool (+). 2. The staff respond to my needs promptly. With what happened to me (no. 2 below), the housekeeping supervisor cleaned my room himself with another housekeeping staff. 3. The people in the restaurant were nice, too. They greet you. They approach you and ask whether you want coffee or tea, or tell you that the buffet is about to close, etc. (buffet breakfast) When I arrived for the breakfast almost at the closing time, the chef opened all the food for me to see and take. 4, The food was ok though there were not so many to choose from. I liked the vegetable salad. It was fresh. 5. The restaurant was clean. 6. Since the hotel was opened July 2011 so it still is in better shape compared with the other hotels. The walls were clean and the toilet was ok. 7. It's close to the taxi stand and the buses going to the causeway. 8. It has a safe big enough for a laptop. 8. Free wi-fi. 9. With complimentary water.

1. Dirty sheets / re-used sheets. I arrived almost midnight and when I was ready to go to bed I found out that the bedsheets, hedreddon, blanket, and pillowcases smelled dirty and looked dirty. I saw some dried blood or something. And in one of the towels, I saw dried mucus?! Eww. So, smell and check first before using them. 2. One or two of the housekeeping staff was not professional. He wrote to me saying, "I'm sorry I did not make up your room because I have to go at 5:00." 3. My first room was facing the road and it was noisy. So you gotta make sure you request for a room not facing the road if you're sensitive with noise.

Room Tip: Rooms 501, 401, etc are bigger than the rest of the rooms but they're closest to the door from t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Chey1880

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

It makes my heart happy that you have enjoyed the hotels product and services. With regards to the bed sheets, I've informed the respective housekeeping department head and further steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Once again, the team and I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback and if you ever stop by Johor, we look forward to welcome you back once again!

Eugene Liew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Hi, hotel is clean and location is good, there are malls and shopping centres just next to the hotel, so this hotel is quite good to live. There are many places to ear around the hotel.. Hotel staff is so so, hotel service is not very good.

Room Tip: make sure you book a room with window, some rooms do not have window at all.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ravibaburam
, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Ravibaburam

Greetings from Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the hotels location, and the various eateries just around the corner. With regards to the hotel service, I'm sorry that it did not live up to your expectations. I've brought this matter to the other department heads, and further service improvements are being done so that future matters like this will not occur again.

The team and I look forward to welcome you back once again if you should stop by Johor Bahru.

Singapore
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just stayed here for two nights over the weekend.

The good:

- Excellent location. Very near to CIQ, literally just next to City Square and Meldrum Walk is just on your right the moment you step out of the hotel.

- Spacious room. We booked the Club Queen, so there's plenty of space for moving about.

The bad:

- Cleanliness of room. There were ants crawling around the coffee/tea area. My partner left his delicious banana cake in the room, sealed (albeit not vacuum sealed) and tied up tightly in a plastic bag, and yet at the end of the day when we went back to the room, the cake and the plastic bag were both overrun with ants. Also, the corners of the room were extremely dusty. I've noticed some bite marks on my legs as well, but they haven't start to itch yet, so I'm definitely hoping that it's not from bed bugs.

- Housekeeping. Water flask wasn't cleaned when we first entered the room. There were still water in the flask. The toilet cover was stained with urine on the underside. Geez... On the first day, the bedsheets and pillow sheets were fine, but after housekeeping on the second day, both pillow covers have stains on them. Towels were not replaced, and they removed our bathroom mat and did not replace it either. Toiletries were not replaced/replenished too, not even the toilet roll.

- Very poor noise insulation. I was woken up twice on the first night due to loud traffic below, and our room was already on the 8th floor...

- False advertising? In the hotel's webpage, it states that the Club rooms come with "fully stocked mini-bar", but our Club Queen room's mini bar was empty. There was a lone ant inside it crawling around happily too.

The average:

- Mixed feelings regarding the staff. We initially tried to check in at around 12pm (we stated on the reservation form that we will arrive at 12pm), but a Malay staff just took a glance at my reservation form and then told us to wait till 2pm since that's the official check-in time. Okay, fair enough. We sat at the lounge and waited, only to realise that they are checking in some other guests. I went to the reception again, and this time a Chinese staff tended to me. He asked which type of room I'd booked, and before I could reply, the Malay staff said "standard". Annoyed, I replied that I had booked a Club room, and the Chinese staff took a look at my reservation form and immediately apologised and got a room for us. What's the point of looking at my reservation form if you aren't going to read it? However, on the second day, almost all the staff were of all smiles and greet us every time we passed by the lounge.

- Breakfast. It's included in the rate, so we gave it a try on the first day. Food was really average, but their scrambled eggs stood out. Very limited choices though. We skipped the hotel's breakfast on the second day and walked about 15min to have our lovely and cheap breakfast in an authentic old-school coffeeshop.

- Club lounge. Just a plate of tuna sandwiches as "snacks" for the entire day. But they do have quite a lot of chilled soft drinks in cans if you wish to cool down during a hot day. There's a pool table in the lounge too. I appreciate the cold drinks provided, as their mini-bar in the room was empty and their mini fridge wasn't even cold.

Overall, it's still value for money due to it's excellent location. I may consider to come back if I ever need a stayover in JB again, but I think I'll just opt for a standard room next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Rainne_T

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

I am pleased to hear that you are satisfied with the locality and room layout. On the other hand, I was disappointed to hear about the problems associated with your stay. Thank you for highlighting it to our attention, the problems you have experienced.

I have shared the problems to all the department heads, to ensure that similar problems in the future can be prevented.

With regards to the surrounding noises, the hotel is located in the heart of the city and the flow of traffic and rows of eateries behind the hotel may occasionally raise the levels a little bit.

But once again, the team and I are making every effort to improve on the points you have raised and will certainly use this incident as a focal part of improving our products and services. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your valuable feedback and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Sincerely
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Friendly service, good value for money (included is free buffet breakfast with good selection) in a great location, conveniently situated close to JB Sentral, hawkers eateries, shopping and night market. Wifi can be accessed at reception - not available in the rooms but they are upgrading this facility as noted.

Getting to the hotel by foot is easy. From customs at JB Sentral just head to City Square and exit the shopping centre from the McDonalds street level. Make your way left towards the river (Singapore) at the next T-section (look up and you can see the Citrus Hotel sign). The entrance is at the next corner on the right of a little convenient store.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank stevanlay
, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear layeggs

Warm greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

I would like to thank you for your time to write a review of your recent stay at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru. The team and I appreciate your positive comments about our excellent location, service and value for money products.

I have shared your comments with all department heads and your positive comments will help guide us to further improve our service standards!

The team and I look forward to welcome you back again to our humble hotel on your future visits to Johor Bahru!

Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

My first good impression of the hotel is with friendly service and greetings by the front office personnel. Even the servers at Citurs Cafe are friendly too.

What I like about the hotel it is located right smack next to City Square shopping center (along Jalan Station) and walking distance to JB Sentral and Customs. So for those who want a reasonably priced accomodation while the extra money can spend in Singapore would be a great choice.

Room hotel is clean and quite spacious. You can find a lot of street eateries in the surrounding area, hence convenience for you if you are already bored with hotel food.

The only dissatisfaction is with the WiFi connection at the rooms. You have the WiFi signal but cannot be connected to online. I suggest the hotel management need to take action of this issue at once.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank kissfeez
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear kissfeez

Greetings from Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

Please accept my appreciation for taking your time to write this feedback during your recent stay at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru.

I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with the services and products that we have offered. I have passed on the comments to the department heads so your positive comments will assist us to upgrade our levels of service and products.

With regards to the broadband service, we are still currently in the mist of awaiting the installation of a new fiber optic broadband from Unifi. We of course have a secondary back up line which is still accessible at the Lobby area upon request. If it has caused you any inconvenience then, my sincere apologies.

The team and I certainly look forward to welcome you back again. Thank you for choosing Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as your preferred accommodation!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Unlike some of the websites which erroneously placed this hotel a 4 star, I have a different opinion. It is only worth a 3 star to be fair. Considering the room, facilities, location, value (S$52 per night) and services and all factors in.

We have requested for a early check-in/high floor on the Agoda website, but the hotel staff taken us in like on a walk-in basis. We arrived at 1240pm and the reception staff told us to come back at 2pm and they only welcome guests for check-in at 2pm. When we returned to the hotel at 2:15pm, the reception staff told us that the hotel is almost fully booked. Anyway the staff still tried to give us a room half fitted into our earlier requests. The staffs were overall friendly.

Room - We were given a room on the 4th floor which have the City Square view from its wide windows. Clean and tidy. I personally like the LCD TV mounted on wall with several channels (although most of them quite boring). Carpeted floor. Comes with workable safebox. Small movable table. 2 single firm and comfortable beds. Hangers for clothing. Toilet with hot shower. 2 complimentary bottles of distilled water.

However no fridge, no cupboard, unlockable toilet door, noisy aircon at night sometimes, room is not sound proof (both of us separately woke up about 3-4 times in the middle of night due to sudden banging noises which not sure coming from where). Door safety features can be improved. 2 pillows for 2 pax only. No cups/glasses or food utensils provided in the room.

Location wise is good because the hotel is just a road across City Square shopping mall. However City Square is currently under major renovation and inconvenient for shoppers. Some of the retails shops, restaurants and the cinema are still operating. We went for the food, shopping and movie (Snow White and the Huntsman - RM$18 for 2 pax couple seat).

Below the hotel, there are Muslim street stalls which operates in the afternoon to night time. If you are the daring type and like Indian or Malay or Chinese food, there are some expensive street food right down the hotel waiting for you. The food are almost the expensive Singapore price, Malaysian street food kind of hygiene and more inferior taste. Estimate prices: Mutton soup would be RM$6-7, oyster egg (S=RM$6, M=$8, L=$10), satay=RM$0.60 per stick, 300gram kind of mud crabs of astonishing RM$65 for 2!!! Over the causeway in Singapore, you can find the Malay coffeeshop selling cleaner and healthier looking crabs of price S$30 for 4 crabs which is half the price! Try other street food there instead. Also beware when you buy food at the nearby Indian coffeeshops nearby the hotel area. Bought nasi-lemak back to the hotel and then realized that there is no chicken inside which you should normally get. Only found rice, cucumber and chilli after opening the packet....

Safety wise - there is a security personnel seen at the hotel reception during the day time when we checked in at around 2:15pm. Inside the hotel, seems to be quite safe. Except the 2 lifts which are very small and looks not so safe if there is a stranger with you in the lift. There is a police post nearby on the left turn under the hotel which is manned by a police officer sitting in it, but do still be on high lookout for street crimes when you walk around.

Room Tip: Get the ones which are in the corner maybe. Ask for room with no night sudden noises.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FollowLee
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear FollowLee

Greetings from a cloudy day at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to let me know what an enjoyable stay you had recently. I am particularly please that you have enjoyed our products and services. Your positive comments will guide us to upkeep and improve our levels of service and products.

The team and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back again. Thank you for choosing Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as your preferred accommodation.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We are a family of seven and managed to get the adjoining rooms that fit all of us comfortably. The rooms are pretty basic but spacious. The hotel is strategically located near JB Sentral and other public amenities are within walking distance. Apart from the carparking problem, (as the hotel does not have its own carparks spaces) it offers great hospitality and friendly service. Thumbs up for the selection of food for breakfast which was beyond my expectation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
EnegueWeil, Operations Executive at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear HannahZM

I appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as the team and I feel privileged to have you as a valued guest.

I am particularly please to know that you have enjoyed the hotels services and products, the service assistance of the staff, and the buffet spread which you particularly enjoyed. Your positive comments have been passed on to the team and it will definitely guide us to further improve our service standards.

I have noted your concern on the car park, and we have nearby car park sites which are within walking distance. If it has caused any inconvenience, please accept my heartfelt apologies.

The team and I certainly look forward to welcome you back again and thank you for choosing Citrus Hotel, Johor Bahru as your preferred stay.