“Unexpectedly tasty fish masala”
Review of Chakra

Chakra
Ranked #15 of 1,244 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Since opening its doors in 2005, Chakra has already made a name for itself amongst discerning diners in Johor. Dining out at chakra is a unique experience, bringing you the essence of fine Indian cuisine, in stylish and sophisticated Surroundings or at the comfort of your own home with our takeaway service. Specialising in Indian food, the restaurant offers authentic high quality Indian cuisine which is freshly prepared using only the finest ingredients with an exquisite blend of aromatic and delicate herbs and spices. Our chefs are highly experienced, trained & worked in India in leading Restaurants & hotels. Their skill, expertise and passion will bring you a diverse range of culinary tastes where you can enjoy choosing from the very best starters to vegetarian specialties to exotic meat dishes to coastal sea food authentic dishes and last at not least without our Yummy desserts..
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

My colleagues and I had previously had our dinner there and we decided to go again because we were reminded of how tasty the fish masala was especially coming from me who always avoid ordering fish except at fresh seafood restaurants. The paratha was to my liking too. So were the different types of naan... we had plain, cheese and garlic naan and they were all good. Generally, the food were good. We enjoyed our dinner.

The tea masala though, could have been better. I've had better ones somewhere else.

Date of visit: September 2018
chakra_rest_jb, Manager at Chakra, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

it was our great pleasure to serve you and we are looking forward to your return visit to our Restaurant. We would certainly appreciate any feedbacks or suggestion you can offer on the services and cuisine , as we continue to strive to offer the best possible experiences to all of our guest
thank you for your valuable feedback.

Write a reviewReviews (197)

Reviewed 14 September 2018

It's an old house that's been converted to a restaurant...we were looking forward to trying out the food but even my kids came to the conclusion that mum cooks way better Indian food. It was our final day in JB and my cousin took us to one of the top-rated restaurants but unfortunately we were all left disappointed!! My husband said the crab rasam was nice but most of what was served, was quite mediocre and that coming from someone who cooks Indian food daily back in the UK. The biggest critic was my mum, who waited and waited and waited some more for the kulcha she ordered, only to be told it was the chapatti that my son ate...for two women who have over 60 years experience of cooking and food, we didn't know whether to laugh or get really mad. It certainly tainted the whole experience because son wouldn't eat anything other than chapatti!! Please don't get me started on the juices we ordered...the watermelon was just watered down and the quality was rubbish and my lime juice was literally just cloudy water with no taste of lime or sugar!!

The place just looked filthy and it was really humid in the private dining room but maybe we just have high standards and when waiting for our grab, we noticed stray cats trying to get into the house and even hiding under some of the tables set outside...now that is one surprise nobody wants!

Never again!

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank SRS56
chakra_rest_jb, Owner at Chakra, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Dear Sir/ Madam

Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking the time to advise of your experience at Chakra Restaurant. It is only through feedback such as yours we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

We are very disappointed to read of your experience. While, an apology will regrettably not change the outcome of your experience on this occasion, we do extend it with all sincerity.

We certainly understand the points you mentioned in your review, especially being served a different dish and the drinks being tasteless. We also deeply regret to know that you find the dining rooms unclean and humid. This level of service is definitely not acceptable and will be addressed with the concerned party.

But we would have appreciated if you could have brought this matter to our attention on the day of your visit, so that we could have done anything and everything to make your experience a better one. We would have been more than willing to replace the food and beverages to suit your taste or move your family and you to another room for a better dining experience. Our chefs at Chakra restaurant have more than 10 years of experience in the culinary field and would be more than happy to serve according to your preference.

Our service staffs are ever ready to listen and are willing to serve our guests if they had any complaints.

We also sincerely apologize that you had to encounter cats in the vicinity of our restaurant. As you have seen, we are situated in the middle of a housing area and these are our neighbours pets. Our service staffs do their best to chase away these cats at all times, nevertheless we regret that you had to experience this and will be more careful in future.

We would also like to take this opportunity to announce that Chakra Restaurant will be having a facelift and will have a new look soon to serve our customers better in future.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback and please accept our apology. Please give us another chance to serve you again and better when you are back in Johor, Malaysia.

Thank you.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Tandoori chicken on menu was rm 11.90 original price, but it was charged 14.90 on bill,checked and found some menus had 11.90 and others had a new price sticker of rm14.90.only rm2, was deducted from my bill after I complained, instead of Rm3. I was in a hurry as I already called my Grab and didn't check further. I was charged rm21.90 for palak paneer although im very sure the menu I was given had an older, lower price based on which I ordered. I am absolutely shocked at the unprofessionalism of such a high end ,fine dinning restaurant. I left being overcharged for more than one dish and given an incorrect refund.I really feel cheated. You are a very expensive restaurant, yet you put stickers on menu prices and write new prices on them? You give a menu with old prices for us to choose and then charge us a different higher price ?

Date of visit: July 2018
3  Thank 790jayap
chakra_rest_jb, Manager at Chakra, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Dear Mr /Ms . Jaya,

First and foremost, we are extremely sorry and truly regret this unfortunate incident and agree it should have never happened.

At Chakra, we revise the prices of the dishes once in every 6 months as the market price tends to fluctuate. We do increase and at the same time decrease the prices based on the market price.

At the time of your visit, we had given a new set of menu books for printing and the menu book given to you was a temporary one. Since we had to revise the prices of the dishes, we had to use stickers temporarily.

Nevertheless, we accept it is not professional of us as a fine dining restaurant to have let this happen, and again deeply regret the unfortunate experience you had. We the management of Chakra Restaurant would like to apologize and make it up to you.

We are willing to refund or if you permit would like to invite you to our restaurant to have a meal on the house. Do let us know.

We will be extra careful and make sure such incident will not repeat in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention

Reviewed 6 July 2018

We visited the place on the birthday of my son after spending a long day at legoland. Ambience wise an average place but it was highly recommended.
At first the service was very dull and we were not attended too, but once we complained to the owner we were served very nicely.
My wife is a vegetarian and they have very nice Indian vegetarian options. The quantity quite a lot and the food is very tasty.
I ordered a crab rasam on the recommendation of the manager and must say it is the yummiest sea food i tasted. This was also my first experience with crab.
Loved the place and the service. Would highly recommend it.

Date of visit: June 2018
chakra_rest_jb, Manager at Chakra, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

It was our great pleasure to serve you and we are looking forward to your return visit to our Restaurant.

We would certainly appreciate any feedback or suggestions you can offer on the service and cuisine, as we continue to strive to offer the best possible experience to all of our guests.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

My friends strongly introduce me to had Indian delicious dishes there.
Although my girl super likes their papadam Chips with special sauce.
Night environment very nice and comfortable.
Spend around 2 hours there with my friends.

Date of visit: October 2017

Thank you for your valuable feedback.