“not as good as in the website”
Review of KSL Hotel & Resort

KSL Hotel & Resort
Ranked #12 of 110 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Depok
“not as good as in the website”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

well I can say I am quite disappointed when saw the room, it is not as good when I saw it in the official website. wait until you try the free wifi provided in the room, it is almost impossible to open a website and there is no cable TV channel provided only local channel. the only good thing that the hotel located at same area with KSL mall which was easier for us to find foods.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MarioJB13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Woodend, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The KSL Hotel (it's hardly a resort as claimed) is not in the heart of JB as claimed but is in the suburbs about 4km out of the downtown. The rooms are of an acceptable standard and it is conveniently located next to a shopping mall. The big letdown of this place are the food outlets. The lobby and entrance to restaurants smell constantly like there is a sewer running through them and the taste of the food reflects the smell somewhat. The buffet food is often cold and the a la carte isn't much better and at times can be simply vile. The good news is that you can easily walk into the mall next door and choose from a wide variety of better and much cheaper food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mwinchester

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Booked 2 rooms. Cos it was a weekday stay, they offered us a late checkout of 1pm.

Problem 1:
The room was not ready even though they passed us the keys. But this was a small problem.

Problem 2:
We returned to our rooms on the checkout day at 12noon. Got locked out from one of the rooms. The key card wasn't working. Later, we realised that they removed everything from that room, including the items in out safe. That includes our passports!! The duty manager investigated and told us that a call from someone anonymous called the reception to request for our safe to be opened. And, they could not verify who exactly opened the safe. We didn't receive any missed calls from the hotel on our phones either. So, the safe isn't safe!

Problem 3:
Instead of trying to recover the situation, the duty manager urged us not to stay in the hotel in future. Seems like the hotel staff aren't ambassadors for the hotel.

I would discourage anyone to stay in this hotel despite its good location and clean rooms.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Junexh
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was a bit worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews but my family and I didn't experience any of the problems others have complained about. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, our room in tower 2 level 26 was clean and modern with a good view. I think they self rate at 5 stars but I'd say probably its more like a sold 4 stars. Bottled water was complimentary. Breakfast was a pleasant experience, lots of Western and Asian choices. My 7 year old son can be a bit fussy but with a choice between cereal, fruit, hash browns and waffles he was more than catered for. I tended to go for the local delights like Roti and chicken curry for breakfast, very good. Of a night we either dined in the main restaurant which had a different themed buffet each night or the twilight lounge which was also excellent. Food is very cheap in Malaysia. The pool was fantastic and so was the Dinosaur water park, both located on level 7. Most of the time we had the water park to ourselves as it cost a little extra to use, about $7au, well worth it. The real bonus with staying here is that it is attached to KSL Mall, lots of shopping and food, it even has a Tesco which was handy. We had annual passes to LEGOLAND and caught a cab each day, blue cabs which are clean, modern and air-conditioned were consistently 50 ringgit each way ($15 au), quite reasonable for a 25 min trip.
We intend returning again next year and KSL Resort is more than likely going to get our business again. Tip - Take a hard drive loaded up with your favourite movies and programs as there were only a few cable channels on tv that appealed to us.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the deluxe and suites, it will get you away from the crowds and give you a be...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank MarkSonjaDeclan
singapore
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Not all rooms have bath tub. Went there earlier to check in, but was told to come back two hours later. After two hours later, they told us that one of our room was not ready yet. Hence we have to wait to check in. Felt that the standard and the service was not even 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is my 2nd time staying in this hotel. I have read about problem in checking in, but on both my visit the check-in was a breeze. On my 1st visit, I booked thro' a travel agent website and on the 2nd visit I booked direct thro' the hotel website.
The room was clean and nice, I guess since it is a new hotel. The breakfast was ok, they have wide range of food. But since the hotel has a mall, food is not a problem.
One thing that I was taken a back is the swimming pool....u can enter the pool by the mall escalator, so anyone even shoppers can go in for a deep. They have a theme pool but u have to pay...it would be nice if hotel guess be given a free entry day pass.
Overall nice hotel and nice staff.
Oh ya the lift was slooowww.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kamsani_13
Sydney
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night for business. I have read the previous reviews about this hotel and was very sceptical so I did not expect too much from it. There aren’t many choices in decent accommodation in Johor Bahru. The check in was a pain. I booked through KSL hotel home website 4 weeks prior to my arrival but they could not locate my booking. After 20 minutes searching, finally they found my booking. They demanded payment immediately rather than waiting until the check out time. The hotel is full of tourists, with a fleet of coaches waiting outside the hotel day and night so you can imagine how busy the lobby is like in the morning, over crowed and extremely chaotic.
Surprisingly the pillows and the bed were very comfortable. The shower drainage was slow so the water did not go down during your shower, basically you stood on the dirty show water while having shower. I used the gym, neither towers nor water was available.
The rate is very cheap but I will be looking for quality alternatives.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business