“Look Away”

KSL Hotel & Resort
Ranked #8 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
“Look Away”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wait, wait and wait is the operating rule at this huge hotel with its two towers of rooms and other facilities.

In the 4 days spent here, we spent so much time:

1. waiting at the elevators to get to and from our room cos there are only 4 elevators serving each tower of rooms and each lift fits no more than 8 persons at a time without luggage,

2. waiting for the third towel for our room that never came even though we paid for a 3-person sharing room

3. waiting for the room key card to actually work...seriously, we had to approach reception on a daily basis to get the key re-programmed to allow us up the elevator and into our room, the record being 4 times on our second day..

As for the pools, they were not clean. Discerning children did not want to go into them a second time... Enough said.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just like before, this would be my honest feedback about KSL Hotel which I have stayed over the last weekend for a 3 days 2 nights. Before that, I have been reading about the feedbacks at Agoda and Trip advisor before really deciding to stay there. So giving back this lengthy feedback is to those people whom I read of their feedback a way to say thank you.
Let me begin, before selecting your hotel rooms, please beware that the hotels have 2 sections, one is the apartment and the other is the real hotel rooms. I am not sure why they have lump both together, but choose correctly. I can’t give my comments on the apartment building, as there are negative feedback, I decided against to stay there. I chose the hotel room instead, paying slightly more than the apartment rooms.
On the day of visit, locating the hotel is a breeze as it is the only largest hotel around JB, I presume. Plentiful of parkings for the car both at the basement and at the multi storey parking beginning at the 3rd level. I went to the basement initially, looks a bit dark and I was not comfortable parking there. So I went up to the 3 level. (there are more parking at level 4 and level 5 as well) more brightly lighted but avoid parking at those scheduled corners. I will touch on the parking a bit more later. By the way, its complimentary by the hotel if you are a guest there. So don’t tap on your TouchnGo card. Press the button for the hotel card ok?
Went straight to the lobby of the hotel to do the check in at about 2.30pm on a sunday, and it was a pleasant surprised for the very fast check in, I timed the staff and she took less than 5mins. Boy I was impressed as I have read very bad reviews that they took many hours and some even till at night not ready, not sure if they are referring to the apartment side instead. Was also brief on the morning breakfast which included in my room package for 2 adults at the lobby restaurant, I was also told of the free entrance to dino park – a swimming pool with some dino figures. Swimming pool close at night, so no swim after 9pm, there is a gym also, but don’t expect it to be that of a 24hr gym at hard rock hotel rws. Just a average gym. Lastest time to check out is at 1pm upon request. And here you go, my check in is done.
So I was scheduled at Tower A, there are 2 tower blocks in KSL hotel. 4 lifts are the only lifts serving all the way to level 27. I was given a room at level 18. Not much people at the lift so I got to my level quite fast. Upon entering, inserted the card and activated the electricity. Closer inspection, the room was ok. Not big and not too small. IT was just an average room for the superior room which I book. As usual, I did a entire room check before any other things else. Noticed that part of the lower wall paper near to the bed was already popping out, but I am ok, just that it is not so nice… next is the cabinet door for the safe, it was already partially spoilt but still managed to close back the door. Next is the hook behind the toilet door, also spoilt. And shaky. The maintenance did not do a good job on this. For the cleanliness of the room, I felt that it was average. Basically, the beds were clean and the carpets were clean, but the glass shelves were pretty dusty, obvious that it was not clean for a very long time. The glass shelves above the water kettle. Plus the windows were really full of prints and dusty albeit . These I give a 5/10 standard. So in average, ok to stay in. But as a 5 star hotel in JB. The hotel management need to really look into it. I paid about SGD 140 per night. After conversion to ringgit is about rm360 per night. For a 360rm standard. It must be greatly improve.
During the stay, it was comfortable, the shopping center was just below, plentiful of restaurants, a cinema on the 4th level, so many shops, a Tesco at the basement easy to get your groceries before heading back to Singapore. Basically, it was not a bad stay, consider that it was a 2 in 1 place, hotel and shopping centre. Plus, it is only about 15mins drive to Bukit Indah, and 20mins drive to Legoland or Puteri Harbour where your kids can enjoy. Mondays there is also a pasar malam directly in front of the hotel. Good idea right? Enjoyed it. KSL is enjoying many customers mainly is because it is a combined hotel and shopping centre.
So is it about 10pm, I went to the lounge to have some drinks, entire bar was empty except me. Still the drinks took a while before arriving, I gathered is only a bartender on duty. But still, it took a bit of time. Drinks was not to my expectation. My score for this place. 6/10.
11pm went up to the carpark. Almost deserted. Not much cars parked. So I shifted my car to be near a guard post just near to the entrance of the barrier at level 3. Avoid parking too far away.
Next 2 mornings, had the buffet breakfast. Very crowded and very busy. The food is average. Some are cold. It will be my last buffet breakfast with the hotel, so I leave it to your imagination on how is the food. Imagine queuing more than 20mins for a piece of roti cannai or some say prata? Food selections is quite a lot but the quality of it is very bad. Maybe the management can consider boosting up the morale of your staffs. Really, please take this into your consideration. My next staycation with KSL, I will definitely skip this buffet breakfast and eat out.
So, at about 1pm on Tuesday, did the checkout at the counter. Again, to my surprise, it took less than 2mins to did my checkout with the hotel. I was please.
I have to take this opportunity to feedback on the lifts availability. To my opinion, the usage of 4 lifts is definitely very inadequate. Many a times, I have to wait for quite sometime to get into the lifts to go to my desired level. There was a time, coincidentally, a tour group of Vietnamese came and everyone was pack to the brim at the 4 lifts of Tower A. I had to wait a good 15mins for my turn to take the lift up. And is very slow. Cause these poor 4 lifts are serving 27 storeys. It is seriously not enough. Considering that this a hotel with many tourist with luggage. Please kindly take this point of consideration.

6 Thank louis1186
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I never seen 3 swimming pools in single hotel, the special one is dinosaur themed swimming pool
breakfast buffer is okay
location is good
A large supermarket in KSL city shopping centre, just beside KSL resort hotel
many different types restaurants inside KSL city shopping centre

1 Thank HoiPan T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is my second time staying in this hotel. The location is convenient.Room was spacious and clean but the room no.2246 was very warm because of sunlight. The breakfast was nice, a lot of choices. Monday night there is a night market just outside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yap64
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

booked a superior double room in a saturday night, we arrived johor at noon and we ask the taxi driver to drive us to KSL for leaving our luggage, then we go legoland directly.

After playing in legoland, we back to KSL to check-in in around 18:30 , there is no queue for check-in luckily so we just need to wait for around 5 mins from hotel lobby and go up to our room.

our room is in tower 2, the room is spacious, all amendities are functioning well, wifi working normally, the breakfast in the next morning is rather good too athough there are many people when we go down in 7am.

the hotel is connected with the ksl mall, no need to worry for food and shops

so recommend this hotel as we are satisfied with it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kimatty
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

booked this resort for 3 nights with my children and husband, so we could experience legoland. I left with mixed feelings - the shopping mall was fantastic, as was the weekly open air market. My kids loved the dinosaur themed pool area. And had the pleasure of cocktails in the little bar which was wonderful, and your staff there couldn't have been more wonderful! The decor of the main foyer was also beautiful. Was disappointed with the basicness of the family room, it was small and felt very cramped for 2 adults and 2 small children. The breakfast and resteraunt also was disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Made a last minute booking at this hotel for a short trip to Legoland Johor and Johor Baru. After reading the reviews in Tripadvisor, I had mixed feelings about this place but subsequently decided to give it a try anyway.

I made a point to avoid the apartment block since almost all feedback was negative. Booked a hotel room and requested for non-smoking room with a king sized bed.

Location
̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
The hotel location is rather central in Johor Baru town. Unfortunately the surroundings of this "resort" is pretty complicated and a huge mess. One good thing is that there are many eateries surrounding the hotel and you can easily get a sampling of cheap local food.

We drove and had to look for the entrance to the carpark. The roads were rather busy when we arrived at night and cars were going in all directions. Finally we found the entrance to the basement carpark. As mentioned by some other travellers, the basement carpark is crowded since the carpark is shared with the mall. Although this resort is rather new, the basement carpark is TERRIBLE and filthy. It looks more like a badly maintained 10-year old place. Since we were already in the basement, I didn't bother to look for the upper floors parking area. As a guest of the hotel you get free parking. All you have to do is get your parking ticket validated at the hotel reception.

Check in & check out
̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
We arrived around 8pm. Since it wasn't a peak period for check in, the process was smooth. I was given a room as per my request. There are 2 hotel towers - Tower 1 & Tower 2. We were given a room in Tower 2 which was a short walk away from the lobby (Tower 2 lifts were right in the lobby). The passage to Tower 2 lobby smelt of rotten eggs for some unknown reasons. I'd suggest you request for a room in Tower 1 for convenience.

We requested for late check out but was allowed to extend till 12:30pm only. Had to queue about 15 minutes for check out as it was the peak period. Process was relatively quick since my room was pre-paid.

Room
̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Carpet - YES
Wifi - YES
Came with free wifi but was good for only 2 devices at any one time. The reception was good enough to give me a few slips (with userid & password) for 1-hour complimentary wifi use if I needed to use more than 2 devices. Room size was reasonably big and could accomodate 2 adults and 2 children. Maintenance wasn't too good though. The bathtub wasn't cleaned well and the was mould at the corner of the wall. Water leaks onto the floor when you shower. There is a rain shower but we didn't use. The position looked like it would wet the entire floor if we used it.

Water Park
̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
The resort boasts of a water park on the 7th floor. There is a regular swimming pool that is meant for hotel guests and a separate "water park". The entrance fee to the water park costs RM50/person but is free for hotel guests. Hotel guests simply need to write down their room number and check-in/check-out dates in the registry at the entrance to gain free entry. there is no verification required. Anyway, it is totally not worth paying RM50 for the park. The water park is really small with a couple of slides for kids and shallow pools to laze in.

Shopping
̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
The hotel is connected to a large shopping mall. You could spend the whole day shopping here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Tower 1 for best convenience.