“Fantastic Hotel!”

The Grand Jade Hotel
Ranked #11 of 110 Johor Bahru B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Beautiful, classy, clean, friendly and convenient!!

Good job Grand Jade Hotel!
I'm especially impressed with the cleanliness and friendliness of the hotel!

Keep up the good work Nora & team!

Ps: you got to check out their "hand-made" soaps!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
TGJH, Manager at The Grand Jade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Greetings from The Grand Jade Hotel,

Thank you Ivan for your review. Please do come and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Always want to look for a good quality weekend stay near to Causeway with a good hotel and I have managed to find this recommended one. Let me share with you my thoughts.

Hotel and Room:
The building stands at 3 stories high with a cool and futuristic look lift button. There are 3 different concept of the rooms... deluxe, super deluxe and suite (family room). Deluxe and super deluxe are actually the same, just that it is either the normal bed or tatami bed over a platform. I would prefer the tatami bed as it looks more cosy to sleep on. Design of the rooms are very cosy and clean, compare to many near causeway which I find this is the best option if cleanliness and chic feel is your concern. Probably they are newly renovated, and that's why the standard as of now is still feeling new. Lighting and water pressure are both equally good, except that the shower curtain in my super deluxe does not able to trap my water flow effectively from spilling out to the bathroom, which can turn out quite bad. However, that does not bother me, unless you have elderly or children with you to have that extra care to take note. There is no cabinet in the room, but few hangers over the rack for you to hang your clothes. Wifi is free with password next to your bed. TV has limited channels but have clear Singapore channels since it is located just next to the causeway. Think there is one HBO similar channel, while the rest are of national channels. Air con is of single split unit but it is cold enough after a while. The door is a little thin and you might hear some banging doors along the corridors. That does not bother me as I am a heavy sleeper, but it does bother to my partner a little in the beginning. The duvet is a slightly thinner but the comfortable bed and pillows make me sleep longer than usual! My partner and I did not even realise we have overslept till late morning as the bed is too comfy for us to get out! My room is facing the straits and there might be some noise from the traffic since it is too serene around here, but I feel it is better than facing the noisy, crowded and dirty area near the city square.

Location & Safety:
About 5 mins walk to ICQ and 10 minutes walk to City Square. If you are concerned about the safety, I would say I still feel safe since it is located at the traffic junction of broad expressways as long as you keep a look out around (especially during night time but because it is next to the expressway you feel it is much safer as you can keep a look out very easily without blockage). If you are travelling to or fro KSL, you definitely will see this small tiny historical building, which is next to some hotels such as Blue Wave, Suria and Sentral. If you are returning from KSL or Taman Sentosa, just let the driver know you want to stop at Blue Wave, save the trouble walking back from JB Sentral where the journey ends.

Shopping:
Not the best location if you intend to buy lots or bulky items, but a 10 mins walk is not much of a deal for me (maybe not for children or elderly). Just cross over the expressway, passing through the ICQ covered carpark, and cross over the overhead bridge, there you walked into City Square directly (slightly shorter than if you passing through ICQ which is another alternative). Nothing around there but peaceful neighbouring environment. Less cars, less people and no shops around.

Food:
I found there are a few Chinese coffeeshop style eateries behind the hotel. A Bah Ku Teh coffeeshop is just next door. If you want to walk just a minute further into the lane, you will come across another Bah Ku Teh, Zhi Cha (Hot Cooked Food) and another coffeeshop selling good braise duck rice. During my visit in the late morning, I saw quite a few customers ordering the braised duck, should be quite good. Generally these shops are visited frequently by Chinese only.

Breakfast:
There is no restaurant in the hotel since it is a boutique style. For my case, the hotel front desk staff offered me 2 vouchers for my stay to enjoy nasi lemak or toast break with coffee or tea at the braise duck coffeeshop I mentioned earlier. Good enough for a light breakfast, and a good thought from the hotel. However, as mentioned I overslept and did not utilise the vouchers. However, the bread that was offered by the coffeeshop which I paid was tasty.

Staff:
Front desk staff is courteous and smily. Same for the concierge as well. Not many staff around since it gives you a boutique feel and more towards like a homelike feel. I like the atmosphere at the lobby. Peaceful, chic and clean with a touch of Malaysian design. I can feel there is some effort made by the management to keep the standard high compare to other hotels near the causeway.

Overall:
I would strongly recommend this hotel if you like me, prefer somewhere quieter, not too far from JB Sentral, City Square or Home. It is safe from my opinion as long as you are alert enough. I will definitely come back again to this hotel very soon with my family or partner, my preferred choice in City Square area!

Room Tip: Any rooms would be nice, but you may want to choose a higher floor and facing away from the straits...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mensuno
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We took the suite because we liked the size of the room and it has a sofa and coffee table where we could comfortably work on our laptops. The bathroom was spacious with fantastic water pressure. The handmade soap was a nice touch. Kettle with coffee and tea were provided.
Limited parking space. The front desk staff and security guard were attentive and helpful.
Walking distance to JB Sentral. A nice nasi ayam penyet shop just down the road.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We could easily get a better hotel in JB with breakfast and full hotel facilities for the price we are paying. This place is definitely not value for money. Location is isolated with no access to public transport or taxi outside the hotel. We asked the reception to book a taxi for us. After waited for 10 mins outside the hotel, she returned saying that there is no taxi available and advised us to try our luck on the street. We walked to the street and waited for another 20 mins. End up we have to walked along the street to the next hotel grand blue wave to sought help from the reception to get us a cab.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank PhoenixSingapore
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Simple but very nice hotel and worth the money. Walking distance from customs, JB sentral and very accessible to shopping malls. Newly renovated and clean. Very attentive security guard. Though TV channels are limited but for a quick getaway in JB, this is a must-go hotel. Walking distance to the bus terminal going to Legoland and Johor Premium Outlets. Will definitely stay here again when we're going to visit Legoland/JPO hopefully this year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank harold02366
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel design with a good service,hotel just walking distance from JB Sentral and very accessible to shopping mall plus location near to Singapore.Very clean and newly renovated with reasonable price rate.Will highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ling s
Reviewed 1 June 2013

the hotel itself is as refurbished and pretty nicely done. Once inside, the staff are extremely polite, very helpful and attentive tho their command of the English language was understandable at best. Bottom line, they DID TRY and for that, Kudos.

The rooms are teeny tiny but very very clean and functional. If you're expecting international standards and amenities, let me remind you, it is a boutique hotel at an extremely reasonable price but the services we got, beats any 5star hotel I've stayed in around the world.

Location - it's so close to Singapore, we literally "walked" into checkpoint and customs. NICE! Public transport was plenty and so convenient.

Overall, we slept very well, even on a busy school holiday weekend and the staff was top class.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family