“Couldn't expect anything better”

Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Didn't expect to pen another review regarding this fabulous property but I was so wrong. These guys never fail to impress. Drop my family at the hotel around 10am as I had to rush off for a meeting. Checking in was done swiftly and we got our room almost immediately.
Special thanks to my dear friend Faizal from the club lounge for making my stay truly enjoyable. Mentioned to him that my family will be staying here again without my presents and I was assured by him that they will be well taken care of. Thank you renaissance and thank you Faizal.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I am overwhelmed by your generous review of our property. Thank you for marking our property as your second home in Johor Bahru.

As our guest you can expect a familiar comforts and opportunity to explore something new that will turn your visits into a wonderful experience. With Renaissance, we want our guests to come with a heart of coming “back home” where they deserve a full comforts, cares and loves as we aim to preserved to all of our guest.

Your comment regarding our staff’s hospitality is very essential to help us in developing our people, especially to achieve our service of excellence. It is really appreciated. I will forwarded your remark to Faizal for the excellence service that he provided to you.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed in this relatively new hotel last weekend. I have also stayed in Renaissance Bangkok for more than 50 nights in the past.

Check in was very fast, big thank you to the lovely Jessica at the front desk!
As I am a platinum member I got upgraded to a big room in Club Floor. The room is well designed and was perfectly clean. Everything I would expected from a Renaissance.

The Lounge was nice. I especially liked the TV room where I could relax and watched TV.
The TV room was a bit too bright, the window should have bent tinted or curtain added.

Although I do not smoke, I liked the open air smoking area. I could get the fresh air there and the view from there was nice. I could see the causeway from there.

The food in the Lounge was good. The Club Floor Manager Mohammad Faizal was kind enough to show me around the Lounge, helped me to make reservation for the Nijumaru Japanese Restaurant, and even showed me the location of the nice restaurants just beside the hotel.

I liked the Gym. They have the latest Gym workout stations from Precor. I would even watch the same Room TV program from the workout station monitor with headset. A new experience for me. I did not feel tired even after close to 2hr workout.

I then went to the open air swimming pool. They have open air shower and nice pool chair there.

The breakfast was good. Staff are friendly! We were greeted as we walked in the beautiful dinning area.

I pleasant surprised to receive some nice chocolate & cookies and a hand written card from the GM.

Renaissance may be setting a new service standard in JB. I have stayed in others world class hotel in JB City and there were not as good.

By the way, the price was reasonable and I certainly will go stay in this hotel again for my next trip.

Room Tip: Will stay in this hotel again for my next trip!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and heartfelt review of your time spent at our property.

I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at Renaissance Johor Bahru and I am humbly to know that our services has met and even exceeded your expectation.

Thank you for your compliment on our room, our lounge, our foods and our facilities in general. I am glad that you enjoyed it. Your comment regarding our staff’s hospitality were also greatly appreciated. In regards of your comments on the window in tv room area in the Club Lounge, I will forwarded the remark to our Style Department so they can take the necessary to improve the comforts of the area.

Thank you also for recommending our property to our future traveller on TripAdvisor. It is really appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next wow experience. Happy New Year 2014.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel JB on New Year's Eve. We were greeted by the warm staff the minute we arrived at the hotel. Check-in was swift. We had some problems with the key cards as both cards were not working and we needed them to get to our designated floor. Thankfully, it was promptly resolved by the concierge who really made an effort in helping us out.

The junior suite that we booked is very spacious and clean. The bathroom is chic with a walk-in wardrobe and equipped with a great Grohe shower system. The bed is very comfortable although the pillows are a tad too soft.

We proceeded to BLD for the New Year's Eve dinner which was included in our package. We were again greeted by the warm and vibrant staff at the restaurant. There was a wide variety of food and it was good. We really enjoyed ourselves during dinner that night.

The stunning fireworks display just across the street of the hotel at midnight really surprised us! We were awed by the wonderful fireworks display at such close proximity.

Breakfast at BLD the next morning was equally good. On the whole, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and were really reluctant to leave. We were already making plans to return to this fabulous hotel later in the month. It is indeed the best hotel we have stayed in at Johore Bahru.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and heartfelt review of your time spent at Renaissance Johor Bahru.

As our guest you can expect a familiar comforts and opportunity to explore something new that will turn your visits into a wonderful experience. With Renaissance, we want our guests to experience something wonderfully new while they stay with us where they can discover our indigenous and hospitality that expressed from our facilities, our dining and our staffs. I am glad that you enjoyed our buffet and the spectacular end year countdown at our Cafe BLD which I believe had leaving you with a memorable experience.

Your comment regarding our staffs and our Hotel in general were also greatly appreciated. Your remarks on the key card access will be forwarded to our Engineering team, rest assured that they will take the necessary to improve the system. Do apology for the inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back “home” and have the opportunity to offering you with the same level of personalized and distinctive service that you so clearly enjoyed. Happy New Year 2014.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I must give credit to the hotel staffs with their warmest hospitality & good customer service.
Special thanks to duty manager (taufik) who make me have a superb 1st impression to this new Renaissance hotel with his warm welcome on my new year eve check in.
Despite being very new hotel, still maintain the international 5 star standard.
Comfy room, very good & wide spread of the buffet breakfast (inclusive of gourmet coffee selection) its really worth the price that I paid.
I make this hotel as my 1st choice in JB.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

It is such a pleasure to read your kind and generous review of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. I am happy to know that our property in many aspects fit perfectly to accommodate your needs. Your comments regarding our staffs and our hotel in general were also greatly appreciated. Thank you for particularly marking about our buffet and our room, and for recommending it to our future travelers on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed in December for a short break. Location is about 12 mins by cab from Johor custom / City square mall. (Take the red cab, it will be around RM13. while the blue cab cost us RM28.60 for the same distance using meter)
Hotel is new, service staff are very polite and welcoming. Breakfast spread was good with variety. I was impressed to see that they actually serve freshly squeezed juice upon request, something you don't get to see even in 5 star hotels these days.
There are many small and tasty eateries around the hotel, so if you are going there for a short break, you need not go to central to enjoy tasty local food. The shopping mall about 10 mins walk was not very big, but was equipped with a supermarket , a general store like Giant as well as eateries such as secret recipes. The TV channels were alright, wish they had HBO or more movie channels. Overall, it was a great stay!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yapnelann

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay and the service you received at Renaissance Johor Bahru. Thank you for your review of Renaissance Johor Bahru and for encouraging others to stay with us. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel in general, especially finding out how it is convenient for you to explore the local discoveries around the property, making it a worth journey. Thank you also for marking our buffet and our staffs. It is really appreciated.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our usual vacation in Malaysia is spent around PJ and Malacca. This time round we decided to give JB a try. After reading some poor reviews of a certain hotel chain and rave reviews of the Renaissance we decided to give it a go. It was a busy period for the hotel and its staff. There was a huge group check in (apparently fans of some ROC star). Our initial good impression was marred by "late checkout" of the guests who was still occupying our rooms despite our check in time of 1500 hours. The front desk staff was kind enough to bring us to the executive lounge (as we booked a junior suite) while waiting for check in. During the almost 2 hours wait, the lounge executives was proactive in trying to get us information on why and when our rooms would be ready. While I was enjoying EPL/La Liga on lounge TVs, the rest of my family was turning increasingly irate as they expected to hit the hotel pool on arrival.
Despite the late check in, everything from that on was excellent. The staff from front desk, concierge, restaurant were attentive and helpful. They truly reflect the friendliness that we have come to respect from people of Malaysia. I was particularly impressed by the physical presence and management of hotel by their director of operations. I was more than surprise as duty manager is often the executive assisting their front line staff with operations. The personalized approach is what makes this hotel different from many others. The Marriott stable should be very proud of what the management and staff of Renaissance has achieved in a short space of time. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am very much overwhelm by your generous comments in regards of the service you received at Renaissance Johor Bahru. I am particularly thank you for your kind understanding and your willingness to wait for your room to be ready, and in the same time please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences. It is also wonderful to know that my team were able to extend the services in a gracious way and enable to marking a memorable experience for you and family. Thank you also for recommending our property to our future travellers on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our family of 4 and our helper stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. Our 2 children (4 and 2 yos) have been kept entertained by the kids pool. Near to amneties - malls all within 20mins drive.

Great spread at breakfast buffet and the dinner buffet were a saviour for those wanting to chill indoors.

Heartfelt thanks to the F&B manager Warren who was always "on the ball". He opened up the the chocolate cafe at breakfast and sat us in when the queue was snaking. A good decision indeed. Johan was also always on the floor making sure the guests' needs are met. Only comment is that we did not get our local papers every morning as requested.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Inspira

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Renaissance Johor Bahru and for encouraging others to stay with us. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel in general, especially finding out how it is convenient for you to explore the local discoveries around the property, making it a worth journey. Thank you also for marking our buffet and our staffs. It is really appreciated. In regards of the newspaper, I will forwarded your remarks to our Executive Housekeeper to make sure we fulfill every request from our value guests.