“Overall good but sour...”

Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this Hotel on a one night stay for a start of family vacation to rest of Malaysia....BUT..

1. Location
20 minutes drive to Legoland n the rest on the City-JB Central
a) Macdonalds, Jusco n local coffee shop/restaurant - walkin distance.
b) Halal certification outlets head towards Aeon or McDs others small number no pork no lard outlets near hotel.

2. Check-in
+ = Smooth ,Welcoming and good welcoming drink.
- = i)on check-in staff failed to inform us, the room bar wil be checked at 9am.
a) management need to work on the timing.
b) people likes to miss breakfast n sleep in on weekend, irregardless if the DnD sign hung or not hung outside the door.
c) if this was told on checkin, i would asked them to empty the room bar when i check-in.

3. Room 919
+= i) was spotless and spacious.
ii) amenities well stock less toilet roll
iii)good run of RAIN hot shower
iv) a good tot if the privacy sliding door which block the glass panel which has a direct view to the WC
v) color deco n lighting soothing n complements the view.. a reminder of our stay in Orix-Rotana Doha.
vi) Bed comfortably good.

-= Room 919..
i) Shower Head loose...
ii) half roll of toilet paper n no extra roll in room.
iii) cant understand the concept of having an iron missing an iron board?
iv) where do you get those pillows - please get a refund from your supplier.. toooo soft for comfort. I have a stiff neck n a backache.
v) Good idea to have a Extra Pillow in the cupboard but do not hide it up right on top of the cupboard.. an open accident to happen n $$$.
vi) the Hotel facilities info card-room service menu was "missing".. but found deep in the wall tv cabinet.. better luck next time i guess to hide it.

Summary.. good Hotel to stay..
Wil recommend = yes
Wil return = maybe no..

Sour points..
I hope the management wil contact me regarding about the baby cott issue in the room? If it was a joke I am not laughing.. a ridiculous idea if one request for room with a view to the bay n honeymoon.. u can only give us a cott!!..Sensitivity issue!! after our recent lost my wife almost had a breakdown again!! If this is a way of welcoming.. Im Not Impressed!

Amir Ahmad - 14 June 14

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Amir A
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Amir A,

Thank you for taking time to share this comprehensive review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor. While we are glad that you have enjoyed most part of your stay with us, we also apologise for the inconveniences that you have experienced .

We will share this with our leaders from respective departments, and will look into immediate measures we can take to make every stay with us a perfect one.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to having you back with us again to have different experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I recently visited the chinese restaurant and the food was amazing, especially the custard bun thingy (liu sha bao) I could eat like hundreds of it! The lady waitress served my table at that time (probably the manager as she was the only one wearing a jacket) and she was very good, very attentive and made my dining experience a wonderful one! Will definitely hold my wedding there :D

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AiAi888
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Please accept a huge thank you from all of us here at the Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel. We were so happy to hear you had such a great dining experience at Wan Li Restaurant. It means the world to us to hear when we have had a success. All comments are worth reading and learning from and I have made sure to pass your thoughtful comments to the supervisor.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again,

With gratitude,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were on our way to Singapore and had Dim Sum in your fine restaurant.
The food is not only excellent but exciting and every bite was a pleasure.
The whole experience was enhanced by the excellent service of your restaurant staff.
Will definitely come again!

Room Tip: Sorry did not stay in the hotel so no comment.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Ah Kee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your dining experience at Wan Li Restaurant. It's great to know that you enjoyed the Dim Sum and I'm glad that our ambassadors did a great job of taking care of you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel room is very clean and the food is fantastic. More for business travelers and couples though. We stay on the 11th floor facing the golf course. It is generally quiet but the slamming doors of the hotel guests interrupted our sleep several times despite it was close midnight. The staff were generally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear NatKH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at our hotel.

I am glad you found our location to your liking. It is really pleasing to hear that our ambassadors took such good care of you and I hope you accept my sincere apology about the noise.

We would be delighted to have you back again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed here quite a lot and always found this hotel to be one of the best in JB.
The staff are always very friendly and make every effort to take care of guests.
Rooms are new and always clean, bathrooms in good condition.

Being a frequent guest I have access to the club floor which is always well stocked, is good for breakfast and light dinner/ drinks and the team is friendly and provide good service.

The main Restaurant in the hotel is buffet style (a la carte available) and has plenty of good choices. The bar area is also good and food is available there also.

There is also a Chinese restaurant in the hotel and I have always found that food options are not great plus its expensive and service slow.

All in all a good hotel, will stay there again in the future.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Barnacle08,

On behalf of the entire team of Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

As such a loyal guest it is so nice to hear our team continue to take such good care of you and I will be sure to share your comments with everyone.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Johor Bahru in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights last week. The staff were very friendly. There was a decent variety of food during breakfast and it tasted good. The room was clean and tidy. However, when we entered the bathroom, we smelt a foul smell. While finding the source of the smell, we found out that the foul smell actually came from the towels! We guessed the cause of it could be because the damp towels were left in the washing machine overnight instead of putting into the dryer after washing. We got the same foul smelling batch of towels for 2 days.

4  Thank Rayson12

Dear Rayson12,

On behalf of everyone here at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time and found our staff and facilities to your satisfaction. I must apology about the unpleasant smell but rest assured I will inform the responsible ambassador to fix this.

We hope it is not too long before we welcome you back to our hotel to have different experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Within 2 hours of my check-in, my mind was all made up to put thumbs down for Renaissance but by the time I left the place, I was forced to change that initial impression. I choose Renaissance totally relaying on the TripAdvisor rating as I was looking for a decent weekend gateway, not far away from Singapore. My wife is carrying and I did not want to travel much, so JB was the best option outside Singapore I could think of.
Hotel was a bit far from the immigration and we reached Hotel at 1.30 PM only to be told by the reception staff that our room is being cleaned by Housekeeping so we need to wait in the lounge for sometime. So we settled on the sofa in the lounge area waiting for the room to be prepared. After waiting for 1 hour I thought of checking with the reception staff again and was told it's still being cleaned (I would really be interested to know what kind of guest stayed in that room to make it that dirty). Wait continued for another half hour and at 3 PM another member of reception staff approached us telling that no body told him that we were waiting for so long and he gave us keys for a different room. It was a more tiring experience waiting in the lobby for 1.5 hours compared to travelling from Singapore to JB. Perfect crash for start of a stay intended to be for relaxation. My suggestion to fellow guests if they are caught in the same situation is to keep checking with the reception staff every 5-10 minutes without any embarrassment, it’s better than assuming that everything works perfectly in a 5 star hotel.
Room was pretty nice, clean, spotless linen, sparking white towels, exactly how it had been praised in all other reviews. The most amazing experience was when we went to the restaurant for dinner. My bad, I could not note the name of the guy who served us (smart looking Chinese origin guy) but I have no qualms in stating that it was one of my best experiences of being served in a restaurant. He not only helped us customize the menu per our vegetarian needs but also served us few more dishes to try and all this with genuine warmth of hospitality. Very impressive. Even for the next day breakfast, we found the staff very polite and helpful. A wide selection of breakfast menu was another plus. Every staff we met in the hotel, all were very courteous and caring.
Leaving aside the reception experience, I would rate Renaissance a 10 out of 10 for staff attitude, facilities and overall ambience.

2  Thank TouristDesi
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I must apologize upon reading that your check in experience was a terrible one. Having to wait almost two hours must be extremely frustrating and receiving service as such from a 5 star hotel must infuriate guests, and so I hope you accept my sincere apology on this.

However, I am glad to hear that we managed to turn things around during your trip here.

Feedbacks, whether good or bad are steps to improvement and we genuinely appreciate your thought. If you do decide to stay here again, I hope you can give us a chance to make up for our poor check in service that you experienced.

Yours Sincerely,