“Good hotel”

Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Perth, Australia
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Hotel has nice rooms, staff are friendly and facilities are OK. The airport transfer was not perfect but the manager in charge quickly sort it out and was very apologetic. Rooftop pool area was under construction although pool was opened.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We wanted to take our 3 year old daughter to Hello Kitty land and chose this hotel by default because it was the nearest. Just a quick review- efficient staff, quick check-in, free parking, lovely room with comfortable king-sized bed, rooftop pool, a nice variety of restaurants just underneath the hotel, and my favourite- gorgeous rain shower with lots of toiletries! We drove from KL and only stayed one night, but it was so relaxing it felt like we were on a week-long holiday!
If we ever go back to JB, we'd probably stay in Legoland hotel for the kids, but for relaxation and at half the price of Legoland hotel, you can't go wrong with Traders!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one day on business trip. Hotel looks new and the rooms are nice and clean. Buffet breakfast spread is fantastic! Lots od F&B oitlets nearby. Will define stay here the next trip. However there seems no shopping area nearby.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Pj
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is my favourite hotel. never fails to amaze me with their excellent service. The helpful, cheerful, friendly staff gives this hotel an added advantage. My family chooses this hotel for the second time and the food was really good. As a matter of fact, we are planning to come again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

it was my first visit to johor, Traders provides excellent service and food was nice. Location was good, next to Kitty Land but it was quite far from JPO, taxi will take you about 30-45min, cost about RM65. They provide shuttle service to Lego land but i'll prefer if hotel provide shuttle to JPO too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was meant to be a weekend treat for my parents and parents in-law. Right from the beginning, it started off on a bad note.

We had logged onto the Shangri-la web portal to book three suites, and the portal prompted us that there was a promotion going on for Shangri-la’s Golden Circle members to book the suites for half the usual number of loyalty points. This was a pleasant surprise, as we were not aware of this promotion prior. We clicked on the option offered by the portal and went on to complete the reservation to book the suites. The portal sent us three separate confirmation emails, and subsequently proceeded to confirm the arrangements for transport and attraction tickets.

One week later, we received an email from Shangri-la’s Golden Circle office saying that they would not be honouring the CONFIRMED bookings, citing some obscure T&C stating that each member was only entitled to book one room at the “discounted” rate, and that since we had only two members in our group, they would unilaterally cancel one of the CONFIRMED bookings. They confessed that the web portal had made a mistake in offering the discounted rate for all three suites and confirming the booking, but refused to accept responsibility for the mistake that THEIR portal had made, and insisted on cancelling one of the reservations which had already been CONFIRMED a week ago. They also said they would not be interested to fix the problem with the portal, and the onus was on the customers to comb through the T&Cs before booking the room to ensure that their bookings were valid. We decided that for the third room, we would just choose the normal room then, since we had kind of already lost the mood for the suite, and even the trip.

Check-in was messy. The lobby was so crowded that there was hardly space for the old folks to sit while waiting for our turn. Even though it was past 2pm, there were families sitting around in the lobby waiting for their rooms to be ready. When it was our turn, we told the staff that we wished to pay cash to upgrade our third non-suite room to a Club Room. He said that they had originally left a “normal” room for us, but if we wanted an upgrade, we would have to wait, as there were no ready Club Rooms at that time. We agreed to wait for the room to be cleaned, and he said that he would sort out the arrangements for us, and once the Club Room was ready, he would send the key card to our parents’ suite, so that we did not have to come to the lobby again to pick up the key.

Two hours on, there was still no sign of the key card. We finally decided to go to the lobby again to check. That was when we were told that the key card was waiting for us at the desk all along, and they did not realise that we were waiting in our parents’ suite for the key card. I wonder if they even communicated during the shift change. As further proof of the messy check-in, for the three rooms that we had booked, the told us that they could only find the welcome letter for one of them, and they searched for the other two in different drawers, to no avail. To add insult to injury, on that one letter that they could locate, they changed my gender in the salutation.

When everything was finally sorted out at almost 6pm, we proceeded for drinks at the Traders Club Lounge, hoping to finally relax and sip a drink before dinner. Unfortunately, there was more drama. There, we were told that according to the information in the system, we were staying in two suites and a “normal” room, and therefore only four of us were entitled to enter the Club Lounge. We pointed out that we had paid to upgrade the third room to a Club Room, but the lady insisted that it was not stated in the system. Although she was rather polite about it, but it definitely felt very embarrassing for us to be interrogated at the snack bar in full hearing of the other guests, asking us things like whom we had spoken with at check-in, whether we could produce paper evidence that we had paid for the upgrade etc. It was as if we were that hard-up to sneak into the Lounge for some freebies!

Perhaps what added to the confusion was the fact that they do not cluster the Club Rooms, unlike in other hotels where Club Rooms are usually on the same level or in a certain block/wing. Here, the suites and Club Rooms appear to be scattered all over, just like the three rooms we had were also all scattered. Other than the Lounge Access, there was nothing else to make me feel like I had paid for a Club Room, as two of our rooms were located on Level One where the view of the harbour was partially obscured.

To be fair, once the mistake had been sorted out, the rest of the Club Lounge experience was fantastic. The service level in the lounge was excellent, and it certainly was the best (or shall I say, the only truly positive) part of the stay. The parents and in-laws were pretty impressed and pleased with the Lounge experience. We were further impressed when in the evening, I offered a tip to the service staff in the Lounge, and they actually declined the tip. Doesn’t happen very often anywhere in the world!

The rest of the hotel was rather mixed. It is relatively new, so things in the room worked well in general. Cleanliness was however another contentious point. The pillows had a slight stench to them, and when we went into the room, we noticed that the coffee/tea mugs were barecleaned. We could still see the stains of the coffee that the previous guest had been drinking. The pool came with a view. However, the water also felt like it could be cleaner.

I do not think I will be recommending this place to anyone!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel!
3 Thank MelvinLin
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 July 2014

they allow someone to smoke in a non-smoking hotel even I had confirmed which room was smoking. They just ask me to change my room and after changed, my room is smaller than the previous one. I requested a king size bed room in the early morning and they promised when I came back at 6pm, they can allow us to change. Unfortunately, the king bed size they cannot provided and told me that all the room are fully booked. Why don't reserve one for me as I requested in the early morning. Even worse the new room are a cockroach in the toilet, biscuit on the desk chair, desk table is sticky. It was a very noisy room, we don't know where is the noise came from, it looks like someone hitting drum and going on throughout the night time. It's hard to sleep at night and really really very noisy. Now is 5:30pm, I ask them twice to clean up my room but unfortunately no one shown up in my room. I am totally very disappointed with this hotel. I never write a review even i'm still staying in this hotel. I swear I will not come back to Trader, Johor , It was a nightmare.

Room Tip: no higher floor, more noise from the roof top swimming pool and sky bar. machines noise
2 Thank LukLuk2388