“has potential but underkept”

Ranked #35 of 64 things to do in Johor Bahru
world
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“has potential but underkept”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

Visited this place last weekend because malls are boring after awhile. The museum is opened from 7am to 5pm (last tickets are sold at 4). We took a cab and arrived well before 4, but I guess the worker(s) decided to slack and go home earlier as no one would miss them. More of the Malaysian efficiency I've experienced the past few times visiting the country.
However, we were still able to walk about the gardens till 7pm. The gardens are nice and have potential, but nothing is upkept. Still pools of water at the zen garden have mosquito larve swimming in it. We found a nice turtle pond which I'm sure the SPCA would have a heart attack if they saw.
I can't tell you whether or not its worth your time as I didn't get to go in the museum, but if the inside looks anything like the outside, I would give it a miss. If I am reaaallly reaaallly bored one day, i might try to go back to view the whole thing once more.

Visited January 2011

Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Worth a look”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

Istana besar is the Sultans old palace (its also referred to as Istana lama) located on the waterfront just along from the city post office. The palace is always closed on Fridays but should be open every other day. I say "should" because it is still quite often used for ceremonial purposes and will be closed on those days. We were unable to go in because both days we went it was closed to the public because it was being used for awards ceremonies I think. But we were still able to enter the grounds and look around. The ticket box is located in a small building just to the right of the main palace building. The buildings have been well cared for and are a quite impressive colonial style and perched on the hillside, they command a nice view. My aunt and grandmother actually went in and said it was fantastic. The palace has an amazing collection of beautiful antique furniture, jewellery and artwork. Even though we didnt get in Id strongly recommend trying to see it. If it is closed its only a short walk to a really cute area of the city where there is a mix of modern and traditional cafes and shops in original, but restored shop houses. Its well worth a look.

1 Thank Aussie_traveller63