“Great rooms exciting for the whole family”

Legoland Malaysia Resort
Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Really loved the lobby with its Lego play areas and the rooms were amazing. The highlight of the room was the treasure hunt to open the treasure box! Kept the girls excited for hours. What I thought was missing was somewhere to hang your clothes to dry. After using the water park there was nowhere to dry our stuff, had to travel with soaking swim stuff. Just a line in the bathroom would have been sufficient or a self service laundry room would have been ideal for travelling with children. While service was great and staff very friendly, the family brick restaurant fell short on the breakfast buffet which was very Asian and felt more like a lunch buffet than breakfast (lots of curries and rice). The service was also very bad at breakfast and worse at dinner (forgot our order and we were left waiting for ages, they apologised and brought us what we assumed to be complimentary chicken wings but we were charged for them! The restaurant wasn't as clean as I expected. I asked for a high chair for my toddler and one had just become free from an adjacent table. The waitress just moved it over without even giving it a wipe!

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Libi A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,388)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband says highlight of the trip! From the lego for play at reception to the lego treasure hunt in the room to the lego decor it's all great fun. The food was fantastic - a massive range of mostly local delights. Only word of warning, there are thousands of kids around, so be prepared for an energetic noisy vibe at the restaurant. Also head to breakfast early to avoid a long queue.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Wow ! - from the minute we got out of the taxi the staff were friendly and simply fantastic. We were greeted by Holly who took our photos out the front of the Hotel (with the other family we travelling with). She was full of helpful information for us and was a great asset to the Hotel. As was 'Specially' who was the Manager on Duty (I think that was his title). The kids jaw dropped from the moment they saw the Hotel when driving across the border and there was a permanent smile on their face for the whole stay. When asked about our 2 week stay in Singapore their most favourite thing is still the LEGOLAND Hotel and the Park (and water park). The only disappointing thing was that we were only staying one night (and a side negative the king bed was like sleeping on a brick and the bottom sheet on one of the bunks was stained - but these were only minor issues and didn't impact on our experience. The easy access to LEGOLAND and the Water Park was great. The foyer of the hotel was kids paradise and the Lifts - well if you didn't get into the groove in the lifts then you need to have a look at yourself - super cool. We had the buffet dinner in the restaurant and what a spread - so many choices for the kids and adults - well worth the money. The rooms were spacious and loved the theme. Would definitely stay there again and make it at least a 2 night stay.

Room Tip: We had kingdom themed room and had a great view of the LEGOLAND Park
2  Thank Belle7_10
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed in Legoland Hotel JB from 16 to 19 Jun (4D3N).

We arrived early on the 16 (about 8 plus). We booked point to point transfer and the journey from Singapore to Legoland took us less than 2 hours. Did the check-in and left luggage with the hotel. Receptionist told us she would call us once our room was ready. After receiving our 2 day combo passes from the receptionist, we decided to go to Medini Mall which offers several eateries for breakfast. However most of the restaurants only open about 10am.

Received a call from the hotel before 3 pm telling us our room was ready. We were surprised as the published check-in time was 4pm. We then left the park and collected our keys to our room from the reception. It took 5 min to travel from the park to the hotel. The rooms were nicely decorated and spacious. My 9 year old son loved the décor in the room, the wall paper and carpet. There were all unique and attractive. But the most memorable thing about the room was the treasure hunt. Son rushed to solve the puzzle and after a bit of a struggle and some assistance from the adults he managed to open the safe and found 3 Lego toys to bring home. Excellent idea to impress the kids by the hotel management.

Our premium room came with complimentary toiletries like toothbrush, comb, shower cap etc. We were a little disappointed that there were no slippers. We requested for them from housekeeping but we did not get them after our 4D3N stay. Perhaps the hotel ran out of them.

All the staff who attended to us were friendly and helpful. Mr Sharull at front desk, Mr Shaz who assisted us in our luggage and another front desk staff who told me she used to work in Singapore's InterCon Hotel were all staff who offered excellent service.

I do agree with the observation by some reviewers that breakfast at the Bricks could get chaotic after 8.30am. If you cannot stand crowd then it is advisable to go there early as it opens at 7am. From my experience if you make it there about 8 to 8.30am, the crowd would be manageable.

We did not expect Wifi to be available in the hotel other than at the lobby (based on the reviews we read on TA prior to our trip). To our surprise we were given our Wifi password when we collected our room key. Although Wifi speed was not very fast and at times unstable, I think the fact that the hotel was making Wifi available to guests throughout the hotel instead of only within the confines of the lobby showed that it listens to customer feedback. The hotel also put in effort to keep the hotel clean and often staff can be seen cleaning the carpet in the lobby round the clock.

We requested for late check-out but was told that 11am was the latest. However we were able to leave our luggage with the hotel and went shopping until about 8 pm when our transfer service picked us up.

We spent our first 2 days visiting Legoland and the Water Park. On the third day we went to Aeon (formerly known as Jusco) Bukit Indah for a movie and on the last day we went to Johor Premium Outlet. It is quite convenient to catch a cab to Bukit Indah. It has a huge supermarket, a cinema and many shops. JPO is slightly further.

Overall, we had a good time at Legoland Hotel. We were lucky to planned our trip after the local school holidays. I was told it was a lot more crowded at the parks and hotel during the first 2 weeks of June when both Malaysia and Singapore schools were closed. Medini Mall offers many dining options and it also had convenient store to pick up snacks, drinks and medication. The Briyani restaurant offers good biryani. I would highly recommend it.

For families planning to travel to legoland jb from Singapore, especially those who are travelling with kids, point to point transfer may be worth exploring. We spent less than RM400 for our point to point transfer from our home to Legoland hotel and back.

Legoland hotel is a theme hotel and it is relatively more expensive than most hotels in JB. However kids would love the experience and as kids grow up really fast these days, it would be good to let them experience that stay at legoland hotel at least once before they grew up and out of legoland theme park and hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank GCRookie
Reviewed 23 July 2014

No doubt rooms are pricey (like Sentosa price). We booked directly from the hotel website including tickets. Hotel guests can enter Legoland at 9am instead of 10am for public. Note that checkin is at 4pm.

However, we are happy with the hotel, which has lego blocks everywhere in the lobby and room for kids to play with. The disco light in the lifts was fun too! We had a pirate themed room, with bunk beds for kids, their own tv, and a double bed for parents. There is a treasure hunt in the room, which they can solve to open a treasure chest to get free lego to bring home. They love it! Bathroom is basic, but kids have their own basin. The hotel is at the doorstep of Legoland and Waterpark. So we could come back for shower and rest within the day. Breakfast is basic, the usual pancakes, omelettes, prawn noodles, nasi lemak etc. We find the room comfortable and clean. The best part of staying here is the proximity to the theme park.

There is a small mall next to the hotel, which has KFC, Burger King and some other restaurants. Otherwise, you can also take a taxi out to a bigger mall for dinner (ask the concierge).

Room Tip: If you want a room facing the theme park, you have to pay for premium rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank katongmum
Reviewed 23 July 2014

On first impressions this is a great family hotel but it wares a bit thin after 1 night as there is nothing else to do nearby.

The positives:
- close to legoland
- disco elevators are awesome
- room set out with kids having their own room with TV
- heaps of entertainment for the kids
- treasure hunt in room

The downside:
- 4pm check in
- the elevators (can't tell if they are going up or down making it very confusing)
- breakfast was chaotic, get there early to avoid queuing
- room wasn't very clean, mould in the bathroom, stains on the bed spreads and pillows
- wifi only worked for a few hours on our first night and wasn't a great connection
- parents bed was like sleeping on a plank!

It is what it is - a hotel for the kids. Glad we stayed here but wished we only stayed 1 night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank R M
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Bear in mind that this is a RM1000/night hotel stay. Everything I say here is based on this price point.

If you dont have to go through their reservation via email, maybe it will be a better experience. But for those of us who needs to write to llmreservation.hotel@legoland.my, here is my experience

RESERVATION
We were trying to book 2 rooms for a short stay over a weekend in July.
21 April > First started with an email on 21st April. Received an automated reply saying "We have received your email and will be responding within two (2) business days".
22nd April > They replied on 22nd April asking for further information and I replied on the same day and received the same automated reply saying "We have received your email and will be responding within two (2) business days".
7th May > as I did not receive any reply, I wrote to ask about the status and to request change to my itinerary, I received again the automated reply.
9th May > they replied to ask for the SAME information as what I had sent on the 22nd April. Which I sent to them again on the same day. Again, I received the automated reply that they will respond within two (2) business days.
11th May > they replied with a reservation per my itinerary in my email dated 22nd April. So I replied on the same day that i had already mentioned a change in itinerary per my email on 7th May. Received an automated reply.
17th May > they replied apologizing for the delay. They sent to me a reservation confirmation based on my itinerary per my email dated 22nd April. Again, I have to reply to tell them that there is a change in itinerary per my email on 7th May. Received an automated reply.
30th May > they replied, now with the right confirmation dates per my new itinerary.

CHECK IN EXPERIENCE
During check in, they told me the dates reflected in my booking shows the itinerary per my email dated 22nd April. SO i had arrived on the wrong date! Guess I can count my lucky stars that I had printed out their reservation confirmation dated 30th May that indicated my reservation per the new itinerary. So the front office called their reservation department and spoke in Malay to sort out the issue (I cant understand a word).

I was asked to wait...and I waited for about an hour. They finally changed the reservation date and I am finally allowed to register for my check in. Frustrated at the incompetency of the reservation department, I asked to speak to the manager. Guess what, the front office staff told me there is no reservation manager. And if I have a problem, I should call a number (and she gave me a slip of paper with the contact number). So I demanded to speak to the manager in charge of front office. And the staff told me that the manager will call me later. (SO I left for the theme parks, waiting for an hour for them to sort out an admin error, without anyone that I can talk to beside that front office staff).

Guess what, when I checked in later that afternoon, I again reiterated to the front office staff (another one) that I will want to talk to their manager to share about my experience. I was promised that the manager will contact me.

HOW THEY MANAGE COMPLAINTS
Finally, I realised that inone of the rooms that I booked, someone had left a computer printed note (by a staff name MIBRAHIM) on the table that states: "I wish to reiterate our sincere apologies for any inadvertent inconvenience", "staff highlighted this issue to me", and "Legoland Malaysia Resort will take corrective measure". Guess that Legoland malaysia must be so budget conscious that they will not employ a real life manager, or maybe they had so many complaints that they prefer to settle issues using a computer generated letter that they can print in bulk, and will not even want to talk to you face to face about it.

ROOM EXPEREINCE
In any case, we got 2 premium rooms - pirate and kingdom themed. Rooms are ok. Shower head holder is not working and the housekeeping, instead of repairing it, just let it be. So we ended up showering with one hand holding a shower head...definitely not a RM1000/night hotel experience.

Beds are hard (which asians like us enjoy) but pillows are small and soft. So when you put them together, (hard bed, soft pillow), it makes for terrible rest.

BREAKFAST EXPERIENCE
Breakfast has a good spread but is of terrible quality, and we thought Malaysia is known for good food. Their standard of breakfast is exemplified by their coffee machine - it serves only black coffee or black tea. The same machines I saw in other hotels serves cappuccino, latte, etc.

CONCLUSION: VERY BAD EXPERIENCE
This experience just proved that this hotel is overpriced, badly managed, and not worth going to. I may be an unlucky one, but

11  Thank SingaporeMartin