“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Manila, Philippines
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here for one night just to get out of their sister hotel The Grand Hallmark, and found myself wondering why I bothered. The service was offish, rude and insincere and that was when the staff were in a good mood. The wi-fi is pretty good, however the LCD TV only has two to three channels that broadcast in English, and Sherlock was not even on. (see review of Grand Hallmark). The hotel is walking distance from a shopping centre. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as is a desk for your laptop. The bathroom is average, the rooms are clean and well appointed but the whole hotel feels quite bland. It is not any value for money.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bobbywideadventures

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Reasons to stay:
1. Only 15 minutes from Legoland 2. Cheap 3. Four person room.
Reasons to avoid:
1. Tacky. I have been traveling for 5 months in SE Asia and this is one of the worst. From the looks of it, they once tried to be upscale (covered chairs, fancy chandeliers) but do not have any of the service to go with it. I'd much rather have cozy accomodations with some friendly service than this hotels attempt to be upscale but with surly employees.
2. Service: No one smiled. Not a one. And we are smiling people. Most of them were too absorbed in their smartphones to even look around. My husband asked for an extra chair in our four person room to use next to the desk and was told (after he'd asked several times) that they couldn't help us. (Even though there were stacks of them on the side of the restaurant.) I asked reception to mail a couple of all stamped and ready postcards and was told No. I pointed out again that the were already stamped and ready to mail and she said No, I would have to go myself to the post office. These were the only examples but it gives you an idea of their service. What kind of hotel can't even mail a presstamped postcard for me?
4. Rooms: The sheets didn't even fit the bed. Seriously, the bottom sheets didn't even cover the bed so there was always some corner of mattress showing. The safe didn't work and the refrigerator never got cold. We requested DVD player which they ended up installing for us, but it never worked.
5. Room bathroom: Chipped glassware in the bathroom, not enough toilet paper, and the windows didn't close. At one point there was a maintenance team in my room (to install the DVD player) and I asked them about closing the window but they didn't fix it. Made it difficult to cool the room with a window that doesn't close.
5. Location: It is right next to a hawker stall group. And a stage. A VERY VERY loud stage where performances were put on. Until 2am. The first two nights were very loud, the 3rd was not so bad. If you stay here, bring ear plugs just in case.
6. Breakfast: There is a small buffet with some fancy serving servers. Hot dogs and french fries were served.... yes, for breakfast. There was a cereal dispenser with some various cereals mixed together in one. One of my kids accidentally spilled some cereal and I watched the man scoop the cereal off the counter and pour it back into the top of the dispenser. Yikes!
I couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. There was a lot of staff around (usually on smartphones or the one I saw sleeping) but they clearly don't know anything about service.
You can see from my other reviews that I am not a complainer. I usually find great joy in most things and always find the bright side. This hotel, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired.
Find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TakingTheBigBreak428

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Love the food court behind the hotel

The hotel seemed to be operated by 1 lady and the rest is just mannequin

We came with 5 luggage, no porters help me.
Firstly the lady manager answered me without looking at my face. She seemed to be very busy person
Got my room and she is friendly but not in the mood at that time

The afternoon she helped us with direction and much better person. Again the rest of the crews were hopeless

The morning breakfast was ok but nothing special, the team again disappointed us. I am not saying rude but they are completely ignorance

Good for business hotel that requires nothing but sleep.

It is very clean and o yes, I hate the colouring shower head, it makes me dizzy and awful during and after shower

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SolidDynamics
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the family suite which is supposed to be the best room in the hotel. It was ok.

Pros - it was cheap, and they let us keep our luggage there while at Legoland when we checked out the next day

Cons - dirty sheets gross, bathroom windows no fly wire and did not close, noisy outside, taxis had not heard of it, some lights didn't work, would not respond to any requests eg an extra pillow

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Marikina City, Rizal, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed with my family for 3 nights when we visited Legoland Malaysia. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The hotel staffs are accommodating with fair english communication skills. Getting a taxi to move around the city is easy using the Taxi Android App. It is near two malls so finding good restaurants to eat is not a problem. VALUE FOR MONEY GUARANTEED.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank docRonnie
Cairo, Egypt
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

There were many things that bothered me about this hotel. The location is not fantastic and the area looks dodgy. If you have a car, the parking is not suitable as it is a very tight parking lot with minimal spaces. When you first enter the hotel it looks just fine. The staff was friendly and receptive. We especially enjoyed the helpfulness of the security guard/parking attendant.

My opinion of the hotel changed immediately as we walked to the elevators. The ashtrays were filled with old cigarettes and the elevators were tiny. When we got to our floor, the ashtray was filled with old cigarettes again. Dirty sheets were strewn around the hallways and we had to maneuver around mattresses that were in the hall. The halls were very narrow and there was a strange smell on the floor. When we got to our room there was dust on most every surface and hair on the bed. The bathroom was nothing more than a wet room. There was no bathtub, like there was supposed to be and nothing bothers me more than not having counter space by the sink.

When we woke up in the morning and went for breakfast I encountered more disappointments. We did not receive our morning paper, as we were told we would receive. Then breakfast was horrible with very little selection, stale bread and lukewarm food. This was the only time we ate the breakfast during our stay. When we left for the day we asked the receptionist to ensure that our room was cleaned well as we try not to complain. When we came back some of the surfaces had been cleaned which was an improvement on the previous day, but again, there was hair on the bed.

The next day, our room was not cleaned by the time we returned. This is always disappointing for me. It was then that I realized the hair was most likely from the maid.

The only reason this hotel is getting a rating of two is because of the parking attendant/security guard. When we went to Singapore for a few days, he offered to watch our rental car as we could not take it into Singapore. He saved a spot right in front of the hotel and kept a close and watchful eye over the car for three days. This is above and beyond what other hotels would have done.

But still, in the end, I would not stay at this hotel again. There are better hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. While we were checking in, the staffs at the reception clearly does not want to entertain us. They were "busy" talking via the walkie talkie in an unprofessional manner. She was shouting into the walkie talkie - calling for someone that never answered her on the other side. Must be something more important than servicing the guests.

Overall, the room was spacious but we had the windowless room and it was so gloomy. There were stains on the floor and the TV reception was really terrible. The heater in the room only worked for the first 5 mins and after that the water became cold again.

The breakfast was bad. And we had to go down to the reception to get the coupons every morning - which i dont understand why!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple