“A big disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 107 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Moultonborough, New Hampshire
“A big disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel was billed as being in the city center, but was actually quite far away. The café was not open when we arrived in the afternoon and had to go out in the rain to the food court behind the hotel. Breakfast selections were cold and limited. The room itself was quite large and clean with a spacious bathroom.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank clairmontjeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at family suite. The room is spacious and the bathroom as well. The WiFi also good. The room package with break fast and the food is average justified with what you've paid. The service was average because I think they don't have many staff however the lady quite good and helpful. We went to Legoland and we arranged on our own taxi. I've read reviews about this hotel and the comments not so good. However, our stay at this hotel not that bad. We don't expect so much for what you have paid for, this is just 3 star hotel. But I agree with some of the review such as you can hear the next room if talk louder. The location also strategic with many mamak restaurants and near the mall. Maybe because our stayed here during week days so it's not that busy. Overall, value with your money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lwie
Ossining, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

It is a very new hotel but I think the staff does not maintain it well. Please take action on this.

We booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child. The washroom was not that clean during the first day and we can see hotel housekeeping staff lounging in guest area. I also think that guest are allowed to smoke on all of the hotel floors as there are ash bins in front of the lift. The lift is small.

Breakfast was nice with a lot of varieties. You can order food/room service and they have a lot of choices.

They have shuttle service to/from Legoland and Hello Kitty town and it is cheaper than getting a taxi because we are just 2. My niece got free of charge. The driver did not accept my tip. =(

Room was so so. I think there was a Chinese couple who was fighting and we could hear them yelling from the other room.

It is walking distance from a mall and grocery.. just need to cross a busy intersection.

Staying here is getting what you paid for. Relatively cheap, but there's a catch..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is one of the few hotels in Johor Bahru that fits four people in a room without blowing the budget. Also, the hotel offers admission tickets to both Legoland and Kitty Town at a discounted price. They also have shuttle service to various destination including Legoland and Kitty Town if you don't mind paying the price.

The reception area is quite open and new, but only looks good up to before you entered the elevators. The smell of the cigarette from there all the way to the room is not bearable. The carpet are nasty, dustball on corners of the room, dusty counters, and smelly fridge. Cleanliness is definitely an issue here. Even though this is a new hotel, things started to break. Thin walls - not meant for light sleeper.

Housekeeper and reception responded to my request immediately; first to unlock the in-room safe, second to unclog the toilet and third to stock up the room before we leave for the day.

There is open food court behind the hotel that it's very convenience. It could be a bit noisy at night.

If you are just looking for a budget place to stay, this is the one.

Room Tip: Spacious family rooms: one queen and two single beds.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank travellerjalanjalan

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here for one night just to get out of their sister hotel The Grand Hallmark, and found myself wondering why I bothered. The service was offish, rude and insincere and that was when the staff were in a good mood. The wi-fi is pretty good, however the LCD TV only has two to three channels that broadcast in English, and Sherlock was not even on. (see review of Grand Hallmark). The hotel is walking distance from a shopping centre. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as is a desk for your laptop. The bathroom is average, the rooms are clean and well appointed but the whole hotel feels quite bland. It is not any value for money.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bobbywideadventures
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Reasons to stay:
1. Only 15 minutes from Legoland 2. Cheap 3. Four person room.
Reasons to avoid:
1. Tacky. I have been traveling for 5 months in SE Asia and this is one of the worst. From the looks of it, they once tried to be upscale (covered chairs, fancy chandeliers) but do not have any of the service to go with it. I'd much rather have cozy accomodations with some friendly service than this hotels attempt to be upscale but with surly employees.
2. Service: No one smiled. Not a one. And we are smiling people. Most of them were too absorbed in their smartphones to even look around. My husband asked for an extra chair in our four person room to use next to the desk and was told (after he'd asked several times) that they couldn't help us. (Even though there were stacks of them on the side of the restaurant.) I asked reception to mail a couple of all stamped and ready postcards and was told No. I pointed out again that the were already stamped and ready to mail and she said No, I would have to go myself to the post office. These were the only examples but it gives you an idea of their service. What kind of hotel can't even mail a presstamped postcard for me?
4. Rooms: The sheets didn't even fit the bed. Seriously, the bottom sheets didn't even cover the bed so there was always some corner of mattress showing. The safe didn't work and the refrigerator never got cold. We requested DVD player which they ended up installing for us, but it never worked.
5. Room bathroom: Chipped glassware in the bathroom, not enough toilet paper, and the windows didn't close. At one point there was a maintenance team in my room (to install the DVD player) and I asked them about closing the window but they didn't fix it. Made it difficult to cool the room with a window that doesn't close.
5. Location: It is right next to a hawker stall group. And a stage. A VERY VERY loud stage where performances were put on. Until 2am. The first two nights were very loud, the 3rd was not so bad. If you stay here, bring ear plugs just in case.
6. Breakfast: There is a small buffet with some fancy serving servers. Hot dogs and french fries were served.... yes, for breakfast. There was a cereal dispenser with some various cereals mixed together in one. One of my kids accidentally spilled some cereal and I watched the man scoop the cereal off the counter and pour it back into the top of the dispenser. Yikes!
I couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. There was a lot of staff around (usually on smartphones or the one I saw sleeping) but they clearly don't know anything about service.
You can see from my other reviews that I am not a complainer. I usually find great joy in most things and always find the bright side. This hotel, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired.
Find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TakingTheBigBreak428
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Love the food court behind the hotel

The hotel seemed to be operated by 1 lady and the rest is just mannequin

We came with 5 luggage, no porters help me.
Firstly the lady manager answered me without looking at my face. She seemed to be very busy person
Got my room and she is friendly but not in the mood at that time

The afternoon she helped us with direction and much better person. Again the rest of the crews were hopeless

The morning breakfast was ok but nothing special, the team again disappointed us. I am not saying rude but they are completely ignorance

Good for business hotel that requires nothing but sleep.

It is very clean and o yes, I hate the colouring shower head, it makes me dizzy and awful during and after shower

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family