“Very good northern Indian chinese food”
Review of The Spice Kitchen

The Spice Kitchen
Ranked #27 of 902 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Very good northern Indian chinese food”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We enjoyed very much the northern indian food. It was authentic northern indian food, not a Malaysia version. The food was rich ,creamy and not too hot.
We were also recommended some chinese dishes, with an indian twist. Their menu features chinese indian dishes as in some fine dining restaurant in Kolkota, India.
Very good.A must try, very different from Southern Indian food.
The manager Mr. John was very helpful and experience in recommending what to order and the amount to order. He gave us a very good introduction to their restaurant.
We were able to experience both Indian and chinese food, Kolkota version.

• Visited April 2014

Glen Iris, Vic
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was a very pleasant surprise when family and friends visited this restaurant. We could not believe how good it was. The food was simply delicious. The price of wine and beer was ok but not that cheap and the décor was excellent, while at the same time was unique.
We ordered a variety of meals ranging from different curries to breads. Every dish was excellent.
Good quality Indian restaurant are few and far between in Johor…this one is an absolute pleasure to visit for a fine dining experience and a relaxing atmosphere to boot.
I’ll be definitely making a few trips back to this restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank GazzaGlenIris_Vic
Singapore
“Could be the best Indian style restaurant in JB”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The reviews seemed to favor this place and so off to try out the restaurant! I would actually rate the restaurant as 3.5 - as "good" and not "very good" as there some pretty good Indian restaurants across the border in Singapore and in Kuala Lumpur.

I will speak for the Chinese style dish, namely the kung pao chicken as a signature fusion dish. I think the spices are overdone and smothers the intent of the original Chinese. This interpretation makes it rather Thai in taste and this may suit some.

The signature SK fried rice reminded me very much of Nasi Pattaya, a Thai style omelette fried rice dish, for which it is hard to bring out any finesse in cooking.

The signature Manchurian cauliflower was well executed.

In all, with the promotion on, it was a nice deal.

Attempting to fuse food from different Asian cultures is not an easy task, but this is worth a try!

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“LOOK at your bill BEFORE you PAY !!!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Honestly, I really do love the food at this restaurant. I am actually a REGULAR customer here. What do I mean by regular? I come at least once a week. (But read til the end to see their weakness.)

The food:
Very tasty, but it doesn't make me sleepy afterwards, which I assume that there's no (or very little) MSG. Yay, good News!

Service:
The waiters are nice and kind. Note that not everyone can speak English though.

Cleanliness:
To me, it's very important that the utensils and dishes and food is clean. In other words, I get disgusted if there's dry food stuck on the forks or fingerprints on the plates....... But here, it seems ok. I don't seem to find any problem with that.

Also, the floors seem clean. So I guess at least the "cover" looks clean. I've never been to the kitchen, so I don't know if they uphold hygiene and stuff, but at least the "cover" looks clean. So, I'll just keep my mind to that.

PROBLEM - PROBLEM - PROBLEM

Their only problem is the BILL !!!!!!!!!
When you pay, please look at your bill carefully!
Right now, they have a promotion going on (50% off bill) til the end of March 2014.
However, when I went to pay, they did NOT discount it. I don't believe that the cashier *forgot* about this, because this promotion's been going on for awhile already. When I looked at the bill and mentioned it to him, he gave a dull, emotionless "oh" response.

This is NOT a matter of money. It is a matter of business INTEGRITY, HONESTY, and ETHICS.

On top of that, after I ordered, I was NOT given the free starter snack (which they give everytime). When I looked around, all other tables had it, but not mine! Is it because I went alone? Is it because I spend less so I get less? Is it a matter of different treatment to high/low spenders?

Let me tell you - WE (the customers) are the ones that PUT YOU in business! When you become frugal due to a "PROMOTION", then that is FALSE ADVERTISING, in which you will then LOSE your once LOYAL customers! And in the end, when you LOSE customers, you LOSE business. The End.

4 Thank J_J_668
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fusion Chinese,India & Thai Food”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Great food, nice ambiance, friendly service...everything is delicious especially fried SK rice, cauliflower Manchurian & tom yum soup. I will definitely go back for more of their special dishes!!
Definitely a great place for any functions & gatherings...

1 Thank sandytien