“Average”

Ranked #94 of 108 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

The room conditions & view was ok but breakfast serves was not really into the standard. Not many choice & cold. Have to improve the breakfast menu. Anyhow, Front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Riezalman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

Me & my wife (Newly married), check into this JA Hotel on Apr 03' 2011. Lobby was fine, not up to that Standard. We check in around 12.30pm and I did a payment via Credit Card and I wasn't given any Credit Card Charge slip. Never mind.... Room key (1512) was handed over to us. We went up and open the room, came to our horror the room still have guests. Can anyone guess what would had happen. Front office person did not update the check-out & check-in or other reason. After that we were given another room key (1203). When we step in can anyone guess what happen??? The rooom has a kind of smell, no Bath mate, no soap. I wanted to feedback the Front office but my wife stopped me.
Next horrible incident- at around 9.30pm someone tried to open our room. Fortunately I locked the room when step in. It might be another wrong key issuance.
Next day (Apr 04' 2011), we went for Breakfast. Oh my gosh! Food was just warm, coffee was like water, just black in colour and some coffee smell. Well I would say you can get much more better food in Foodcourt then this JA Breakfast. So halfaway we went out and had our Breakfast.
Another horrible happening: we were having a rest, suddenly our room phone rang. And it was from reception asking us to Check out- Are they chasing us????? I know the check out time is at 12noon. So 11.30am we went Front office to check out. When I mention this incident to Front Office Executive Mr Vijay Menon his reply was: Oh we cal the room to remind the guest to check out. What the heck???? Anyone would forgot to check-out????
Well, there's many more unpleasant experience from Check-in to Check-out but hope you guys got my point. If anyone woule like to know more can contact me at: yogentri@rediffmail.com
Even the hotel management team if anyone would like to enquire more unpleasant experience of mine, then welcome.

Yogen

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank YogenTri

Travellers are raving about these Johor Bahru hotels

Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Do not stay here if your hygiene standards are high. Everything is dirty. The moment I entered the hotel room, there was a cockroach on the cabinet. The sofa is an ugly sight, I didn't even dare sit on it. The pillow was DISGUSTING! It was smelly, and I caught a glimpse that the pillow is already brownish in color. I had to mask the smell with my own blanket. Even the headboard is dirty. The toilet is acceptable, though refurbishing would be nice. Our door lock is disfunctional, the temperature adjusting buttons were missing.

Breakfast was simple but great. Yes,it's strategically located (just a walking distance to City Square and JB Sentral) but there are many other hotels situated here, so there's nothing significant about this.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Emme257
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

honestly the first time, i decide to stay here because of the lobby look a bit nicer compare to other hotels around the area. the check in was quick and we got the junior suite as the deluxe room was fully booked (i think there was a seminar held in this hotel at that time). the room is spacious but feel a bit old. it got a nice view of the causeway and the city. the room have a basic wardrobe, mini bar (not even cold), a lounge set and CRT tv with local channel. the toiletry is really basic, and i mean BASIC. only 2 small bar of soap. luckily there's a lot of 24hr shops nearby the hotel to buy all your needs. one thing i really need to stress out is, there's NO sound proofing of any kind. our room is connected to the next room and only separated by 2 thin doors. on our firt night, there's a night market down the street with open karaoke session all night long. we feel like they're singing next door even with all the windows shut tight. but we manage to sleep after it end around midnight. we got no problem on our 2nd night. the breakfast was nice with few selection available. all and all, it was just average for me.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
JB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

We have been staying here during the great CNY road festival on 06/03/2010,we booked 3 rooms 2 months ago before the festival day and have requested for connecting room for 1 of our family consist of 4 children. BUT on the check in day they just ignore of our request and with their own reason of 'fully booked' and sent us to different floor. After the CNY road show ends nearly 1am, we got back to our room to take shower , i noticed that the bathroom has no body & hair shampoo supply ,even in the room alot of things need to upgrade: the parquet floor is spoil, the pillows are dirty, the refrigerator dosen't cool at all, even the breakfast for the second day seems like not enough for guest.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
sydney, australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

I had a one-night stay in this hotel in early July 2008 and at that time it was in the process of being renamed the J.A. Residence Hotel and I think that's now complete.
I needed a place to stay for one night because I was flying off from Singapore the next day and had seen this hotel before and thought it looked alright from the outside and the lobby looked ok too. I thought it would be a big saving in terms of accommodation costs.
Well, the hotel wasn't really great at all. Not a good one. Firstly, reception was just clinical and there was nothing more there.
The room was really of a poor standard. The bed wasn't really clean at all and the pillows were just filthy, full of past sweat stains and even the spare pillow in the wardrobe was filthy. I had to put a shirt over the pillows just to manage to sleep at night. Even the thing behind the bed wasn't really clean.
I had a room which had a connecting door to another room and late at night, there was just too much noise and I'm not sure what sort of activities were going on but I don't think I should mention it too much.
On that point, perhaps the hotel staff thought that was the reason for my stay and gave me a room which was only really fit for a short stay of a few hours duration because the room really didn't look inviting, it wasn't completely clean -- the writing desk wasn't clean, neither the sitting chair or coffee table. The curtains were old and dirty as was the window.
The bathroom was ultra-basic but it functioned.
The breakfast was included with the wotif booking but there wasn't anything to mention there, it wasn't great at all. The food was simple and didn't taste that good.
The good thing about the hotel is that it is located in central JB and close to the City Square shopping centre, although that is still about ten minutes walk away. However, the hotel is located very near the Causeway towards Singapore where a bus from the Malaysian side towards Singapore is frequently available.
Would I stay here again? Not unless there has been a major improvement since I left. The room cost Rm140 per night which is really not all that cheap in Malaysia. I would have expected at least basic 3 star comfort for the price but I didn't find it by any means. I do not consider this hotel value for money and it made me think twice about trying to save a bit of change when it comes to hotel accommodation.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms and room noise
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo