“One night in Grand BlueWave hotel, JB”

Grand BlueWave Hotel Johor Bahru
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I went to JB lately, the first time, I kind of like the city, I stayed at Grand BlueWave hotel and I believe this is one of the reasons that I liked JB, it was comfortable hotel with view of the sea, in the heart of the city, the room was clean and spacious, with wide bathroom, breakfast was standard, I think it is good to stay for 1 to 2 nights.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Had book a standard room through online. But on the day of the journey, we had some unexpected work and had to call the hotel to inform them that we were arriving late. Arrive at 8pm. They had automatically upgraded our room to executive free of charge. Cool!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Khairos
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Actually i am very surprise why this hotel is given a five star rating on agoda as it certainly falls short of that.

I am opinion, a 3.5 would be fair. Even a 4 star rating is too much.

Room is relative old and plain. There are flies in the lobby. Really not a hotel to stay in for more than 1 days. I only will recommend this hotel for those coming from Singapore and need to rest a night before continuing the journey to Malaysia because it is very near the Singapore - Malaysia causeway.

Breakfast is just average. Overall the price is reasonable for such a hotel but the five star rating given by agoda is indeed puzzling.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

It was a no go for us from the start. We booked a studio premier through a website and were told that we are being upgraded and given a studio premier with a stamp on the paper, how dumb! Within minutes of our check in, our faces sank as the rooms are ancient and are terribly smelly. Here comes the best part, I sat on the chair for 2 minutes and started itching and developing rashes. Oh yeah! you guessed it right, BED BUGS! and a cocktail of insects. We went down and complained to the reception and insisted on seeing the duty manager. A guy by the name of Darwish comes across and starts to smile and says that it is normal and even he has allergies, weird guy and of no help, I had to kick up a scene as they were all smiling and laughing at my plight. We were later given a bigger room but still crappy. Even the plumbing was horrible in the bathroom. Next to nothing on telly. So, So breakfast. Unwelcoming reception.

The only things nice about this hotel is the ever smiling and full of tips, Mohamad, at the convinient store and the pool. The Indian Restaurant, The Grand Gem, is bit of a joke, no wonder, they are always empty. We ordered room service and they said, they do not give plates. The food was bad and not worth a fourth of what they are charging.

Avoid this hotel, there are lots of wonderful options around. Don't stay. Worst 3 days of our hotel life.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ReddyR312578
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Visit with family with 1 kid for 2 night stay. Check in was fast it good after 3 hours travel from Seremban.
My son like the pool very much.
Food are nice but can be better with more variety.
Room service item instead wrap up with plastic should change with food cover when send to room.
Room is nice but since check in only 1 towel and 1 hand towel provide until check out.
Staff are friendly.

Overall enjoy the stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mohd Nazri A
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Yes as others say, it's not really a hotel for walking around but the taxis to the CIQ are only £1GBP and although the border crossing was a tad confusing, I was in and out in no time.

Great breakfast. Lovely Pool - all to myself (but lacking sun loungers). Room had the AC on ready for my arrival. Fast laundry service - and possible by the KG. All for a quick turn around stopover stay.

Staff were efficient and friendly over e-mail beforehand advising what to do!

Room Tip: Request non smoking floor if you don't smoke
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I chose this hotel as it looked close on the map to JB Sentral station, from where I was to take the train to KL the next morning. Well, it is close to the station, I had a good view of the station from my north facing room. But you can't get there easily. It was about a 1.5 km walk over bridges and down lane ways to get there, which was doubly annoying as the station vicinity has the only nearby shops etc that I could see. But I am sure the hotel is much nicer than the closer ones on the west of the station, they didn't look very nice up close.

The room was spacious and comfortable enough. I had booked a queen size bed through Expedia but was given a room with two king singles (which didn't matter but was odd). Nonetheless the beds were fine, the bathroom was clean, and the air conditioning was great.

Breakfast was plentiful but not to my taste - I love the local food but only for two meals a day, I'm afraid I am very attached to my western breakfast, and the options there were not so good (warm milk for cereal! Really? What's wrong with cold milk?!).

The pool (yes, aurfei, there is one) overlooks the straits and Singapore, so a nice look out.

The building (and room) have the feeling of ageing, particularly the desk and chair had seen better days (probably in the 1980s), but it was all kept clean and the bathroom looked to have been renovated recently.

Reception staff were good and there were no problems with my online booking. Overall, good value. Worth the extra over the cheap hotels nearby, I'd say.

Room Tip: South east facing rooms have the view to Singapore
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo