“Beautiful, relaxed with fantastic staff.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mersing
Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mersing
Singapore
“Beautiful, relaxed with fantastic staff.”
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I visited Sea Gypsy over Chinese New year (13- 18 of April) and was greatl surprised by the island. Its picturesque views are incomparable to most. It is a very peaceful island with much to do. I am an avid diver and have dived a few places around the world, and I found this place beautiful under the water. Although it was still the end of the monsoon and the vis was about 5 - 8 metres, there was still lots to see. The staff were friendly and had a fantastic vibe about them, always upbeat with huge smiles on there faces and gave the resort a great atmosphere. They were never off duty to customers, so if you had questions at 10pm the dive staff or the waitress would be more than happy to fill you in on the best things to do the next day. We did it all, we went on the walks to the other resorts, we went fishing on the stilted villages and also the diving. I found sea gypsy was one of the nicest get aways from Singapore. I will definately be visiting again and soon.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dory1972

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Went with another family, which I think is probably best. The drive up to Mersing was fine and the kids loved the speed boat across.

The children had a blast. The staff are kind to them, they fall out of bed into the play area and the beach is sheltered and safe. We were lucky not to experience any sandflies.

It is basic though. Clean 'huts', that's about it. I didn't mind the lack of a/c but would have killed for some hot water. The staff were very happy to bring buckets of hot water for babies though. So I pinched the baby's.

Food is ok and plentiful. Staff mainly young backpacker-types. I felt sorry for the overworked girl in charge of the kids' club. She needs help! She seemed a bit grumpy with the adults at times, but did like the kids.

They have some games, but take a pack of cards. Does have a bit of a backpacker feel, but that's no bad thing. Allowed my husband to recapture his youth a bit!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Londalion
Nottingham
Reviewed 22 September 2009

When you check out they will add 15% on to your bill for everything. They called it 'plus plus' however they don't tell you this when you book. When settling the final bill it really puts quite alot ontop with a family. They should be more honnest and clearly inform you before booking.

The other hotel we stayed at in Malaysia did not, you have been warned!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank kingofspades082
singapore
Reviewed 18 August 2009

from now i would avoid any island with sandflies, we had to put on sun screen, then oil to keep sand flies off and then mosquito repellent, its was just yucky to have so much stuff on. If you missed a spot, you would get bitten and the itch takes about 10 days to ease off.

The value for money is poor, we went on a trip up the east coast and this was the most expensive for the most basic of services.

The people were nice tho and they do have very good brownies but the lingering of the sandfly itch was just not pleasant.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CWTY
Reviewed 19 May 2009

This is a lovely, basic resort with a beautiful, well kept beach and quaint, clean chalets - sparse but fine. Much like camping - cold water showers, which I did not mind, and fans - no air con needed. The mossies are vicious so the mosquito nets were well appreciated.

There is a kids' club with friendly staff that keep the kids entertained from 9:30-12:30. We did a few dive trips, which were great, and noticed lots of families playing games - we did a treasure hunt for our kids - but there are frisbees, cricket, boules, all sorts of games for groups of families. The ocean is not rough, so great for kids to swim in.

There were a few notable downsides though- one is that the meals were pretty ridiculous to the point where I would be quite cross about the food. It was buffet style, but they would run out of food very quickly and you would have to wait a long time to get eggs, or if you were 5 mins late to breakfast, no muffins. One lunch I had rice and sauce because they had run out of everything else. I think people stockpile food when they are hungry and they know they are only getting one trip..

There was no water or juice on the table during meals, and you had to hope someone was manning the bar to get a bottle of water first thing in the morning. Water was extra so we had to load up at night or not have any, potentially til 9am the next day. That can make a body cranky.

There were only 2 people serving about 60 ppl so the wait staff was flustered trying to clear away plates - one bottle of ketchup for 60+, no glasses, no juice.. man that was annoying. Lunch was basic - egg rolls and fried rice. Dinner was MUCH nicer, a big BBG and we ate our body weight, easily.

The most off-putting part of the trip, I have to say, was the bartender, who we nicknamed "Mr Personality" because he completely lacked one. He did not smile, did not speak, just chained smoked cigarettes and went about his business. Aside from him, the rest of the staff was lovely - really friendly, nice to the kids, and helpful..

When we got the bill, holy cow! Sticker shock! Everything added up quickly and it turned out to be QUITE expensive for a rustic getaway. I rated the breakfast and lunch a 2 out of 10, while I gave the dinner at 8. I would have drunk myself stupid at the bar if I could have gotten more drinks, but there you go. I think what makes this a good holiday, if you have your kids with you, is that it is nice place to play with your kids - but if you were backpacking or traveling without family and you wanted to save money, there are other places that are better value -

Incidentally, the diving there was really great and the guys in the dive shop were friendly and helpful. We went to a dive site with this beautiful cavern and just loved it. Two thumbs up for Joel and Darren for a wonderful dive experience.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Binkyjen
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I did not have any big expectations for quick getaway from Singapore to Sea Gypsy Village but it did not start very promising when I was left out from bus transfer (that included in package) even though I was at meeting point 15 minutes early... so bus left at least 20 minutes before scheduled time so especially if you are solo traveller it is better be aware that you are not very high priority traveller so better to have all phone numbers in hand. I did catch bus at border so no big problem after all...

Bus trip to Tanjong Leman is reasonably short and boat transfer takes less than 30 minutes so location of Sibu is perfect for travellers from Singapore. Island itself is small but pretty and Sea Gypsy Village is nicely hidden amongst trees close to beautiful beach. Beach is perfect for kids but did not provide much entertainment to snorkelling fan like me... there is a reef in the corner of the bay but during my stay sea was bit rough to go there alone as current was quite strong. Rimba is supposedly better for "beach snorkeling".

Rental of snorkeling gear was cheap and there was daily boat trip (not included in package) to nearby islets where sea was very clear and some nice coral and fish... especially location near Pulau Tinggi was really beautiful so probably one day I could do a trip directly to Tinggi.

Sea Gypsy Village itself is nice and clean and basic chalets Ok and I did not miss warm water or aircon at all. Food was also fine although not spectacular but again that was not even expected... service was good and friendly so overall not bad experience at all although I got bit bored as most other visitors were expat families with lots of kids and frankly I did not feel to have much common with them so besides soaking at sea I spent my time mostly sleeping and reading.

For families with kids I would recommend this place in instant - for solo travellers not really as places with less kids and more activities would be probably better

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Kiraze
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed one night in their backpacker's A-frame hut. It's a very simple hut with a small bathroom and it's clean. We paid RM90 for the 2 of us, which was fair. The huts are a 10mtr away from the beach and it's a really nice sandy beach.

The restaurant serves good food, but we do not recommend you sign up for the BBQ or join the buffet breakfast or lunch. The BBQ cost RM70 per person and is way too expensive for what you get. The breakfast buffet cost RM27,50 per person. It's a lot cheaper to just order what you want to eat straight from the menu. It will save you about 50%. Quality of the food is ok.
The place is very friendly and there's a relaxed atmosphere. They seem very good with kids, since they looked like they loved the place. There's music the whole day and evening, which adds up to the laid-back atmosphere.
Unfortunately, we cannot comment on snorkling, since it was raining when we wanted to go :-(

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Esther-in-Malaysia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Sibu Island Resort
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa Sibu Island
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
#1 of 2 in Pulau Besar

Been to Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base? Share your experiences!