“Good service but rooms VERY tired”
Review of Rawa Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mersing
Rawa Island Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mersing
Melbourne
“Good service but rooms VERY tired”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed in a Beachfront room with a great view. The bathroom was extremely tired and the plumbing (sink tap and shower) did not work properly. We didn't have a hot shower the whole time we were there and everytime you turned on the tap you got soaked. If I was staying longer, I would have complained but since it was a very short break, we didn't want the hassle.
The door was difficult to lock and I actually got locked in the room on the first day because the key broke in the lock. In an emergency you could climb out the window at the top of a very steep flight of stairs.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and I must say they catered really well for my dietry requirements (vegan) helping me to make selections from the buffet and catering for me specially on the night of the barbecue. I was very impressed by that as I've gone to other places where I've had little to eat. I was definitely not short of food. On the food front, it would have been good to have soy/almond milk as I wasn't able to enjoy coffee or hot chocolate.

It was a very relaxing place however though they could do with more casual seating around the public area especially in very busy times. I forgot about sharing resorts with Europeans, they have a bad habit of putting their towels on everything before breakfast so that when others come out, everything is booked (Brits, French and Germans are very bad for this). The resort needs to discourage this as it's extremely unfair.

A great place for kids with the water slides, trampoline etc. Disappointed about the opportunity for diving. They rent equipment but there is no Dive Master to take people out. I would consider this a bit of a safety risk personally.

All in all it was a nice quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of Singapore and I would return. I would have given it 'excellent' if the bathrooms were better. I'm more inclined to try out other places because of this but I wouldn't rule it out.

Room Tip: If you truly want away from the hustle and bustle get one of the rooms over the ocean as you'll...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dragonflymummy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I've heard fabulous reports about Rawa Island but this is our first visit in 40+ years in Singapore! I booked a week before CNY thinking no hope of finding accommodation. To my surprise they had a room and the Mersing office arranged everything for us. I had read some rather negative reports on TA about the food, service and the state of the rooms and most of all I didn't believe the promotional photos. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised, it is truly a magical setting, great service and super food for all tastes. Most of all the the dive shop and souvenir shops don't rip you off, very reasonable. It's not cheap to stay (still considerably less than the 5 star resorts or Bintang), but the relaxed stress free environment makes it well worth the 3 hour drive from Singapore).

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank littlebali
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was an awesome quick trip out of Singapore for a few days with friends.
The rooms were clean but in need of updating, the buffet food was pretty average and the staff were not accommodating to additional requirements or late arrivals.
However the beach was picture perfect and the Saturday BBQ was really very good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisa C
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a splendid holiday on Rawa Island Safaris Resort. It's a wonderful place both for friends, couples and families...
The unique nature, the ambience and the people who care lovingly and attentivly to their guests. They made our stay extra special!
The food was fantastic, the service unobtrusive but very courteous, and the rooms were very nice and clean.
I wish I could come right back to Rawa Island ..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank andrea b
Kuala lumpur
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Beautiful island with clear blue sea and colorful corals along the beach (during low tide) with magnificent view from the mountain. BUT could have been better with a BETTER customer service. Staff were unfriendly and rude.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Palmsyy
Nuremberg, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have nothing but positive feedback to give this place. I booked to stay in a hillside apartment for 4 nights. Turned out, because it was low season, I was able to get upgraded to a beach front location. I must admit the beach front felt much more airy and comfortable. Although the hillside cabin was absolutely fine, it did have a dampness about it; it also felt like the door didn't really shut properly.

The resort itself offers amazing massage facilities - I got reflexology and cupping, which were both firm and well executed. The food was good too - a mixture of Asian and Western food at each meal. Hopefully you will have the delight of being served by the lovely Yanti, who I'm pretty sure is there to make you feel even better about your day :)

The beach is pure heaven and the fact you have the opportunity to snorkel and see the coral and some beautiful fish was something I considered an absolute privilege. It is a shame that some people, however, do not respect true nature; standing on the reef is strictly forbidden as it kills it.

All in all a great place to switch off, de-stress and be surrounded by happy people!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the beach front if you prefer comfort. Do bear in mind all rooms are pretty basic...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Natalie P
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed on Rawa in this Resort for 5 days in September 2013 - it was one of my best best vacations ever.
- The Island is just like a jewel!
- Houses are clean, comfortable and locacted very well
- Environment: great, clean beach, perfect water, snorkeling in Corals just 5 m behind the beach; the Resort wants to Keep tourism in a good Balance and does not overload the Island / Resort; if it is not fully booked, the upgrade very often!
- great Service: all staff is very Service oriented and willing to make guests happy - compared to other experiences in Malaysia they offer great hospitality, Service
- Food: Food Comes with high Quality and broad offer - both Asian cuisine + western style Food
- very familiy friendly though I was not there with Kids I could see this
- very nice assistant Manager who tries to be Close to guests, offers Background knowledge about the place and is very open minded

Overall Feedback: perfect place, perfect Resort - just can recommend it without any restrictions.

Room Tip: Front beach Bungalows of course are nicer than the ones in second line. But generally all rooms what...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Solveig H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Embassy Hotel
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
#1 of 2 in Pulau Besar
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa Sibu Island

Been to Rawa Island Resort? Share your experiences!