We stayed in a Beachfront room with a great view. The bathroom was extremely tired and the plumbing (sink tap and shower) did not work properly. We didn't have a hot shower the whole time we were there and everytime you turned on the tap you got soaked. If I was staying longer, I would have complained but since it was a very short break, we didn't want the hassle.
The door was difficult to lock and I actually got locked in the room on the first day because the key broke in the lock. In an emergency you could climb out the window at the top of a very steep flight of stairs.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and I must say they catered really well for my dietry requirements (vegan) helping me to make selections from the buffet and catering for me specially on the night of the barbecue. I was very impressed by that as I've gone to other places where I've had little to eat. I was definitely not short of food. On the food front, it would have been good to have soy/almond milk as I wasn't able to enjoy coffee or hot chocolate.
It was a very relaxing place however though they could do with more casual seating around the public area especially in very busy times. I forgot about sharing resorts with Europeans, they have a bad habit of putting their towels on everything before breakfast so that when others come out, everything is booked (Brits, French and Germans are very bad for this). The resort needs to discourage this as it's extremely unfair.
A great place for kids with the water slides, trampoline etc. Disappointed about the opportunity for diving. They rent equipment but there is no Dive Master to take people out. I would consider this a bit of a safety risk personally.
All in all it was a nice quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of Singapore and I would return. I would have given it 'excellent' if the bathrooms were better. I'm more inclined to try out other places because of this but I wouldn't rule it out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Rawa Island Resort, an idyllic tropical island for guests to unwind from the stress and strain of modern life. Feel the grains of white, sun-baked sand between your toes as you stroll along the beach. Take a dip in the warm waters of the South China Sea. Enjoy the green scenery. Snorkel along the natural coral reef just metres from the shore. Or simply relax as you watch the sun disappear lazily over the orange horizon. Situated within the archipelago of the Sultan Iskandar Marine Park, Rawa Island is accessible by a twenty-minute boat ride from Mersing, Johor. This beachfront resort features 77 rooms, each individually designed to blend in with the natural landscape. Modern furnishings provide guests with the comforts of home. We invite you to take a break from the monotony of daily routine. Experience the island's natural beauty and our Malaysian hospitality. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Rawa Island Safaris Hotel Mersing
- Rawa Island Safaris Mersing
- Rawa Island Resort Mersing, Malaysia - Johor