“canteen sushi” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #93 of 414 Restaurants in Langkawi
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Description: Traditional Japanese cuisine with two Teppanyaki counters and two private Tatami rooms, with the freshest and finest ingredients sourced from sustainable local fishing and farming sources, reinterpreted at our oriental kitchen by our passionate chefs.Opens for dinner only from 6.00 pm to 11.00 pm (last order 10.30 pm)Closed on Wednesday
London, United Kingdom
“canteen sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

not impressed! for being in Asia I wasn't looking forward to average flavours and canteen style sushi, especially for Andaman prices. But there are restricted places you can go for dinner to when at these resorts! Just avoid their buffet! A japanese friend ranked it 1/10. I gave it a more generous 4/10

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mmaniar

Alton, United Kingdom
“Superb Tepinyaki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We returned having eaten at this restuarant a few years ago and am pleased to say the food was as great as ever, this time we choose the Tepinyaki bar rather then one of the private tatami rooms, it is so exciting to sit up and watch your food being prepared by the skilled chef in front of you, we had the Wagyu beef, Seafood platter and seabass, all were incredible, the service is excllenent and all washed down with some really good Sake, its a really fabulous restaurant that ive eaten in many times and it is always a pleasure to go back and it never dissappoints, wonderful for a great Japanese experience if staying in Langkawi

Visited March 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Fresh sashimi and authentic Japanese food..Price wise not too pricey considering in a hotel environment. Give a try on their Japanese style dessert..

Visited March 2013
1 Thank AK2726
Singapore
“Good Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

We were at The Andaman, so it was easy for us to try both the buffet and the teppanyaki. Buffet was good and worth the money. The teppanyaki as well. I wouldn't call it the best teppanyaki I have eaten in my whole life but, hey: we are in Lagkawi, not in Japan!

• Visited December 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Very expensive but very good dinner catered for a captive audience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

We dined here on our first night in The Andaman, to celebrate our anniversary together. We rented a car so it wasn't difficult for us to drive out for cheaper food, but my partner wanted to try this restaurant out. At about 9.30pm, there were still quite a lot of diners in the not so big premise. Last order at 10.30pm. There are 2 teppanyaki counters, and apparently a private tatami dining room. The waitresses wore kimono uniforms, which adds onto the authenticity of the place, except that they were not Japanese.

We started off with an ebi and tofu miso each, I vaguely recall it's RM26 & 16 respectively. I only clearly remembered nothing was cheap. So for guests who are "stuck" in the resort, especially in the rainy weather, they don't have too much of a choice. I loved both the miso, there was japanese seaweed, bits of golden mushroom and tofu/ebi in it. Then we had the salad - lettuce, shredded carrot, konbu (seaweed), cucumber and japanese sesame dressing. Refreshing and tasty. The sesame sauce complemented the greens. We ordered spicy tuna and ebi roll to share, the ebi roll with avocado on top of the sushi rice was really good. Tuna roll was not fantastic. Then we had the cigar roll, I am not sure what is inside the "fried spring roll" but it was soft and good. Some spring roll is really over fried and oily, but this was done nicely. Not a very japanese dish I thought.

Our cold soba noodles was last to be served. It came with a light soya sauce dip with wasabi and pickled ginger. The noodles were al dente, and a dip and slurp satisfies a first time soba eater like me. Something so simple and healthy, yet enjoyable. We also had a diet coke and a small bottle of Sapporo, our total bill was RM300. It's really expensive in my opinion, I guess its pretty much a captuve audience and most guests were happy to pay as the secluded resort meant you have to drive out at least 30mins to town to satisfy your hungry children. (Children set meal were RM60 and some bento sets costs up to RM95! 3pcs of Sashimi were way too costly too.) overall, we enjoyed the food so not much to complain about except suggestion to review the prices and add more variety (eg. Unagi don, katsu-don etc) to the rather limited menu. I live in SG so there are plenty of good japanese eateries for easily a fraction of the price.

I think if you are here at the resort and want some elaborate, fresh and yummy jap food, do give it a try.

• 2 of 5 bubbles