“Not bad if you're on the beach”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #95 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed at Sandy Beach Resort for over a weekend in October and had a pretty pleasant stay. I wasn't in the chalets, which are right on the beach, but the main building on the beach side - literally 30 seconds from the ocean! My double room was unbelievably clean given that it's a budget resort with a TV, bureau and hanging space for clothes/towels etc.

The breakfast is VERY basic, so it's best to rather walk down the main road and find one of the quaint restaurants to fill you up for the day.

The staff were pleasant, even though they didn't speak much English, and were more than happy to help me find tours that suited my budget and schedule. I would definitely go back to Sandy Beach Resort but this time book the chalets right at the water's edge.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach side are the best, and the chalets are worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Megan S

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We are from Gujarat , India. I booked from Internet. Due off season we got a banglow for 140 RM/night for 4 person.The room was very clean. The bathroom was renovated. There was a TV in the room. Breakfast (although some mornings very basic) was included. Initially breakfast consisted of a few choices (rice, noodles, toast, porridge and tea and coffee.
There is unlimited free wifi at the hotel.There are tea and coffee facilities in the room.
Food was good.value FOR MONEY. It is situated near beach 2 min walk

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I've booked this holiday on the airasia, but was fairly disappointed, beware , only the chalets are on the beach. Our bungalow is across the road, however it's just a 5 min walk, but if you wanting to stay on the beach,book the chalet. Well the staff here speak little English,so
communication was difficult, plus the breakfast was not buffet, its just plate of fried rice,toast,baked beansand sausages.but overall it's fairly cheap place.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We initially booked the AB hotel which is practically next door to this hotel for our 2 week stay in Langkawi. It is in the best location. It’s right on the sea side.
We lasted 1 night at AB as it was completely disgusting, dirty and loud. We checked out early after the first night and went hunting for a new place to stay. AB had asked us to pay our entire stay in advance. I told them I hadn’t been to the bank yet and only paid 1 night.
My partner and I walked the beach from of Langkawi and obtained prices from all the hotels and compared the rooms.
The Sandy Beach Resort has 2 types of bungalow rooms, some are traditional styled and then there are modern renovated rooms. We decided to stay in a modern room. We had c2 which was the second room in from the sea side.
The rooms was 120 ringgits per nigh, which was the same price as AB Motel. The other budget priced places along the beach front were either far more expensive or cheaper but not as good quality. For the price I think this is the best hotel in the area.
However the room was very clean. The bathroom was renovated. There was a big flat screen TV in the room with digital channels. Breakfast (although some mornings very basic) was included. Initially breakfast consisted of a few choices (rice, noodles, toast, porridge and tea and coffee. Towards the end of our stay they only had rice and toast.
There is unlimited free wifi at the hotel.
There are tea and coffee facilities in the room.
The rooms are service daily (at AB they are only serviced every second day).
They do not sell alcohol in the restaurant so you don't get crowds staying until late. It's a very quiet place to stay. The view from our room was of the ocean and there are 2 chairs to sit on the front balcony.
This is an excellent place to stay for the price.
I only have a couple of criticisms.
We had trouble with the reception on our television. It took many trips to reception asking them to fix it. It never got fixed. I found out that they knew about the TV problem prior to us checking into the room. In the end I asked for a DVD player with movies which they arranged, however the player didn’t work. I then asked to be granted a late check out on our last day (3pm) and they gave us this for free.
Another gentleman was looking at staying at the hotel and asked me what it was like. He was quoted 170 ringgits per night for the room which was 50 more than we were paying. When I initially enquired about price I was told a room would be 160. When I said we would stay 10 nights they reduced it to 120. They made us pay the first 5 nights in advance.
There does seem to be some variation in price depending on who the customer is.
Even with this I would stay at this hotel again. They could improve on their service at reception and their breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank binvinnie
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at Sandy beach resort this July for 4 nights. It was a horrible experience! We had made a reservation and expected, that the bungalow room would be at least decent, especially when they charge it 170 RM per night (40euros).
Even though the room is very spacious (with 2 double beds), the sheets had black stains and the blanket had even something that looked like blood stains, which was totally gross!
The sink in the bathroom was filthy and ants were marching all over the place. And when we finally wanted to turn the TV on, we found out, that the remote control had no batteries..Not to mention the wires hanging from the ceiling...And of course we had nothing to hang our towels or bathing suits, as the only thing on the front porch was 3 dirty, old chairs. The boufet breakfast was horrible and consisted actually of nothing (rice, noodles, white bread).
The only positive thing about this place is the location, as it is located in the centre of Pantai Cenang. And it is quiet as well. We wouldn't complain if the room costed 10 euros per night, but for this price you will find other, much, much, much better rooms in Cenang.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gianna_Gi
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Have been travelling six months and this is by far the worst place I've stayed. The only positive thing I can say is that it is near the beach but plenty other places are, so stay there instead.

We booked a room online for 160 MYR (€40) a night as this was the only room left. We arrived with another couple who were shown the EXACT same room for 100 MYR (€25). We said we wanted to have this room as it appeared the same so they changed us to this room but charged us a "no-show" fee of €40 through a booking website. Breakfast is horrible, staff are particularly unhelpful, tv has 6 channels, all in malay, our bedsheet only reached halfway down the bed so from our knees down were lying on bare mattress. We were hoping to stay in a lovely resort on the beach but we were in a shack across the road from the beach instead.
Finally there is ONE ATM in the town & it was out of order our first day & we asked where the nearest other one is & they laughed & said the airport as if this is hilarious it happens to everyone. We had €7 to live for the day. Eventually we got cash and went to pay by credit card & they told us they only take cash. In a town with one ATM, get a credit card machine!!

Room Tip: Tip to get the best room is book somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Barieda
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Just returned from 4 days in Langkawi. Stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort. They should not be allowed to add resort to their name because it is not one. Started a few months ago when I tried to make a reservation. E-mailed to make a reservation and never heard back. Called and they assured me I had a reservation. Got there and they had no record of me. It was Chinese New Year and luckily they could fit us in. Do not go across the street!! They tried to put a family of four in a tiny room for RM180/night. It was a dump. We asked to be on the beach side. All they had were two bungalows(very small) that had not been renovated yet(their words). There was no sink, and the shower was over the toilet in one. Walls were taped to hold them together. They claimed a/c but the one in the adult's room barely worked. Apparently these were the last two bungalows to be fixed up and the others were better. Breakfast was barely anything at all. The staff were pretty unconcerned with making sure you had a nice stay. I will agree with the other reviews that the location was right on the beach and shops and restaurants were abundant around Sandy Beach. Our worst stay anywhere!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family