Temple Tree at Bon Ton
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bon Ton Resort(Pantai Cenang)
Lavigo Resort(Langkawi)
Sweet Inn(Langkawi)
View Hotel
Casa del Mar, Langkawi(Pantai Cenang)
View Hotel
Grand Beach Motel(Pantai Cenang)
View Hotel
Great Peak Inn Motel(Pantai Cenang)
  • Beachfront
Melati Tanjung Motel(Pantai Cenang)
  • Beachfront
All reviewscolonial houseanimal shelterchinese housebon bonyogurtpineapple mint teaallergic to catswooden bathfriendly catscat loverthe main housecooked breakfastmosquito netwelcome drinkdining tableair conpantai cenang
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed her for 9 nights over Christmas and New Year 2012 in Plantation House 6. We had a very spacious apartment with 1 double room & en suite on one side of the lounge area and a twin room & en suite on the other side. The whole place is decorated with style and an eye for colour though my one caveat is that as the furniture is a kind of distressed Chinese antique style, wooden benches etc, there was no comfortable place to lounge about reading a book inside - not really an issue unless it rains. Bathroom was enormous. What makes this hotel worthy of an "Excellent" rating is the staff. Everyone is really friendly and goes out of their way to help you. They will organise yoga sessions, massages, trips to the mangrove area (Dev's tours highly recommended) We ate here a lot as we enjoyed the quality of the food. It is probably not cheap in comparison with other restaurants but it is cooked with love and still a lot cheaper than London! The Plantation House 6 is an open structure so you can sometimes hear the guests in other parts of the house. However, most guests respect others and throughout our 9 days we never had a problem with noise. The Christmas dinner at the associated Bon Ton restaurant was excellent with crackers and silly hats to make us feel at home. Breakfast is delivered to the fridge in your room the day before. The advantage of this is that you can have breakfast when you want and you don't have to get dressed. The downside is that you don't have much choice. The resort is about 10-15 minutes from the beach. The town of Chenang is a bit further but taxis are very easy to get and are very cheap. Don't stay here if you don't like cats, though having said that, I am not a great fan, and simply made sure all the doors were closed when entered or left the apartment. Our family (2 daughters early 30s) all enjoyed the holiday and we would all recommend it to others.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here in January 2011 (I have been lax with adding this review, so couldn't put in the proper date that we stayed) for one night at the end of our 2 month honeymoon (we stayed at Bon Ton for 4 nights at the start of our honeymoon). It was wonderful!
We expected that being the 'little sister' of Bon Ton (it seems all the top reviews etc. go to Bon Ton) it would be something less than its infamous sister. However, we were delighted to find a charming, rustically but stylishly appointed, spacious and really lovely place to stay, that was different to, but in my opinion the equal of Bon Ton.

On arrival we found that there had been an accidental double booking and our room (can't recall which we booked, possibly Colonial 1) wasn't available, which after a long trip from India almost sent my wife and I into tears, however, without hesitation they gladly upgraded us to another, more expensive room for no extra charge - the delightful Colonial 2.
It had oodles of space to laze about in, a huge bathroom, as well as a large outdoor space with bath and sun lounges.

The bed was quite comfy, and the room quiet, which was a blessing after a long trip to get there. It was lovely to have cats coming and visiting us, and although they put on an air of hurt and disappointment, they were not fussed about being put out when we didn't want them in our room. I wouldn't stay here if you dislike cats, or are allergic to them, as they roam freely about, but if your feelings towards cats are somewhere between apathetic and love, then it won't be a problem.

The restaurant here was excellent, I think better than at Bon Ton (though Bon Ton was great too), and the staff and service throughout were brilliant, and genuinely friendly and pleased to see you, not that affected friendliness that can make you feel dirty at some hotels. The pool was beautiful as at Bon Ton, with a more open feel of the pool and surrounds at Bon Ton with the more rural views over the wetland.

The only downside would be the cost of the rooms and the restaurant, which I feel is a touch high, but you know the cost before going, so if you're comfortable with that then go for it!

I think the only difference between Bon Ton and Temple Tree would be preference for the different styles - lovely, free standing, wooden rustic plantation houses at Bon Ton, vs lovely spacious and quiet suites in larger houses in a range of styles at Temple Tree.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Lovely concept - the "rooms" are dotted through the grounds, and are all part of refurbished houses in Malay/Chinese/Colonial styles. The service was excellent, and consistently so throughout our stay. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with the unique design and decor adding to the charm of the place! That said, it included all modern amenities you'd expect to see - AC, wireless connection, etc. We felt very welcome (the friendly staff!) and were also allowed an uncharacteristically late checkout as our flight was at night.
Didn't use the pool (unfortunate!) but found it relaxing enough to read/doze by! There are restaurants at both Temple Tree and Bon Ton that serve up decent fare, however when wanting a more "local" experience, the staff directed us to a place in town that was perfect (and judging by the number of locals there, widely popular!).
Note: If you are allergic to cats or dogs this may not be the place for you - they run an animal shelter so there are a lot of cats wandering the grounds (and friendly enough to wander into your room if you leave the door open! :))

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Temple Tree is a cluster of refurbished old houses. Each house is unique on it's own. We stayed in Colonial 4 which is an upstairs unit with 1 king bedded room and 1 twin sharing room. Upon reaching upstairs, we were greeted with a bath tub in between the 2 rooms. Unfortunately we were not able to enjoy it we will need to clear everyone out of the unit to soak in the tub! Breakfast is delivered the night before and kept in the fridge. Basically you will have lots of privacy in this resort. Also, you'll need to love cats and also dogs if you are planning to stay here!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I found the Temple Tree at Bon Ton via Trip Advisor last year and it sounded fabulous so booked here for three nights for the end of my trip to Langkawi with my boyfriend.

On arrival we were greeted by friendly and knowledgeable hotel staff and given a delicious welcome drink of pineapple and mint tea. When showed to our room we were surprised (and delighted!) to be upgraded from Colonial 1 to Chinese 2, the top floor of an old Chinese style mansion house which has an envious view over the Temple Tree swimming pool and view of the sunset each evening. It had five rooms and an enormous balcony, dark wood walls and Chinese furnishings. All the rooms and houses here are so unique.

The resident cats were all very friendly, some wanted to share your sunbed too! The cats are all clean, wormed and well looked after but if you don't like cats then I wouldn't stay at Temple Tree or Bon Ton. Also I should mention the noise from the dog kennels was very loud at feeding time. I was aware there was an animal shelter on site before booking but if you want total peace and quiet then you have been warned.

There are two restaurants, Straights Club at Temple Tree for more western food and Nam at Bon Ton for more Asian dishes, the laska was pretty good and the chicken tikka wrap was also really tasty. To be honest some of the best food & wine of my trip was consumed here! If you want eat here in the evening it's advisable to book a table as they get a lot of custom from outside of the hotel and are very busy.

You need to get a taxi to Pantai Cenang in the evenings, the road is too dark/busy with traffic to walk down at night time I felt, but it should only set you back 6 ringgit.

This is a place for couples, or adults, it's not really suitable for families.

Lastly thank you to Chelsea at Temple Tree who lent me her Kindle charger, I would have been very sad not to have had a book to read by the pool on my last couple of days!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple