“Ambivalent feelings towards this place..”

Temple Tree at Bon Ton
Ranked #6 of 144 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Ambivalent feelings towards this place..”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

As mentioned by all, the place is very unique and unlike any other property I have ever been to. They have this rustic feeling to their rooms. It is set in a secluded area from the main touristy stretch of the beach area, surrounded by trees and it made me felt like as if I was staying in those old Malay Kampungs. I love the the place. Very quiet and peaceful.

Our room was more than enough for the 2 of us. I think it could have fitted a family of 4! Room was very spacious and comfortably set up like your own home. We had a good swim in the pool overlooking the sunset.

What I am not really keen is..

There were cats everywhere. I already know beforehand and agree that they are doing a good deed in providing shelter to these cats when making the booking but still, I prefer to see them from afar and not have them come near me. There are quite a number of them roaming around everywhere but the cats are quite tamed so I am still okay with it.

Another thing is the toilet. They have no water hose. My companion seems to be okay with the idea but as I am brought up as an Asian, I find it quite difficult for me to accept. The walls are also quite thin. I could hear the couple next to us having their breakfast early in the morning. I couldn't exactly hear what they are talking about clearly, but still, it is quite frustrating.
Also for the amount paid, breakfast was 4 slices of bread, yoghurt, and 2 bottle of juices. My suggestion is, perhaps they could have provided a simple set of breakfast with eggs, sausages and toast instead?

Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with my stay here. The room was great and their service is perfect. Very friendly and professional.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Fancy staying in a traditional antique building from Malaysia, but not willing to give up your creature comforts?

Temple Tree has the best of both worlds. They have a mix of restored buildings here, and you can stay in just one room or suite, or book a whole building. Each is air-conditioned and fitted with modern bathrooms (plus many have wooden bathtubs), ceiling fans, TV with DVD, and equipment (toaster, fridge, coffee/tea) for your breakfast, which is delivered each evening so that you can have it whenever you please the next day. Your bed also has a mosquito net, since the shutters in these old buildings don't seal completely (I didn't see any mosquitos though).

The resort's restaurant is also in an old colonial building, plus you can eat at sister resort Bon Ton next door too.

Beautiful sunsets by the pool, and many friendly cats and dogs from the LASSie animal shelter nearby.

Room Tip: Every room is unique, so pick one to meet your needs
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

A hippy ambience with a eclectic mix of styles from old colonial to Arabic but I think it works. This place is full of cats. I'm still undecided whether this adds to its charm or not.

The staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you. Very informative and helpful.

Location is borderline OK. Just a bit too far to walk into Cenang, which is about 5 mins by taxi. If it was closer to town my 4 rating would definitely be a 5.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Balnarring, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This morning I've checked out of Templetree, what an amazing experience it's been for the last week. I stayed here last year for one night, this time I've spent a week here. As beautiful as this boutique resort is, the staff make it a truly wonderful experience. From the moment I arrived James and Andy, the managers made me feel so welcome. As a single traveller this was so. Ice. The restaurant staff, Aidy, Lee, Mas and Farize couldn't do enough for me and always had me laughing. I stayed in Colonial 1, then moved to Colonial 3 as there were some minor plumbing issues. The rooms are all stunning and this small resort is so different to anywhere I've ever stayed with its unique separate period houses. It's just so relaxing! The food next door at the sister resort, Bon Ton, is incredible with all the staff so friendly and helpful......Amy makes the best espresso martinis ever. You need to be an animal lover here due to the owners also having a rescue centre for stray dogs and cats. Both resorts have a number of gorgeous dogs and cats which helps with making the whole experience feel like a touch of home has been added. I can't wait to come back next year, it's really sad to be leaving.

Room Tip: All rooms are tastefully decorated, all very different. I suggest you check their website & have...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam H
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights for my boyfriends birthday which I booked as a treat after staying in hostels for the past eight months. The concept of Temple Tree is brilliant: the different historic accommodation and building type is very unique and unlike anywhere I've ever stayed before. However, we felt on first impressions that Temple Tree was in need of a bit of TLC. I.e the grounds are a mess in places (cobblestones upturned) and the second swimming pool (pond) looks very neglected. Our welcome from the manager Andy was disappointing as well, he came across a little cold and wasn't very forthcoming or helpful throughout the duration of our stay.

During our stay we stayed in two rooms. Estate 1 - very nice, beautifully decorated, spacious and bright but we were moved to another room after our first night after waking up next to a dead bat. I must add here that James and Mas dealt with this situation in a swift and professional manner. We were apologised to profusely and were given the option to change room immediately. Apart from the fact there are clearly holes in the building for a bat to get in, we can not really blame anyone for this unfortunate incident. After all you are staying on a tropical island!

Chinese 1 - again beautifully decorated with antique furniture, huge space and overlooking the swimming pool. Was very nice but damp smell in the bedroom and on our bed linen. When the people above were showering the water would run though the floor boards. The t.v didn't work to begin with but this was promptly fixed.

The food over at Bonton was amazing and the sunset drinks and snack every night were a highlight of the day. The frozen daiquiri was to die for and all the serving staff were so friendly and chatty.

If you are looking for somewhere to relax and unwind then this is the place (if you don't mind the odd plane passing over). I think with a little more care and possibly investment, Temple Tree could easily be the best resort on the island.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sonya B
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I went there with my husband and kids and just fall in love with the place.
It is definitely deferent from your everyday hotel room which cost you so much and end up been all the same and small.
All the house are historical malay style in a very peaceful surending. My kids specially enjoy the cats from the mebouring SPCA refuge. they walk around everywhere and settle in your house as if it was theirs.

this hotel is not located on the beach but it take only 2 minutes to go their by car as well as the pen tai cenang area where loads of good affordable restaurant are as well as shops and massage parlour.

Love it and will definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I love the peacefulness of this place and the company of the adorable felines!! Was very pleased by the high ceiling and spaciousness of the Estate room I had. Aircon and ceiling fan working fine. The water heater was good although no toiletries were been provided so do bring your own. The wifi was not working although there was full signal shown on my devices. So can only access Internet on my mobile devices at the Straits Club or at Bon Ton Resort. Also there are no cable so the flat-screen TV could only watch DVD, which are available for free rental at Bon Ton Resort. Guess this is to preserve the noise level in the resort - it's peacefully quiet and tranquil at night. I love the idea of having the breakfast been delivered the previous night (7pm) to the room and place it in the fridge. I can sleep till late morning and have it as a brunch or middle of the night to deal with midnight hunger. Otherwise there's always brunch for order from the Straits Club restaurant menu available from 10.30am. Had all my other meals in the 2 restaurants in Temple Tree and Bon Ton - delicious! Now for the cats. They are super friendly and just longing for some tender loving. The cats started to come into my room when I check-in and I had 3 cats with me in the room. And by the 2nd day, I was comfortable enough for them to sleep on the bed with me and I even left them in the room when I went out for my meals!! The room rate may be expensive compare to other resort but I just treat it as a donation to the animal shelter. Just a piece of advice - the cats are the local residents here, just ignore the cats if you do not like them but please do not complain about them. Otherwise, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo