“Awesome food”

Price range: US$0 - US$50
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I already mentioned this in my Temple Tree review, but the food here is so good, it's worth writing under just the restaurant. Every meal we ate here over 2 visits was fantastic. It's a big reason we went back tot he Temple Tree to stay a second time. Thanks to the chef (Sharriffudin) for a lovely private meal with my partner!

If you've heard about the Nam at the Bon Ton, you need to know that the Straits Club is every bit as good!

Reviewed 5 May 2011

My girlfriend and I visited the Straits club on our final night and had possibly our best meal there. The food was extremely impressive and clearly made fresh and from scratch.

The service was also excellent and the atmosphere perfect for a couple looking for some intimacy.

We would certainly have visited again if we had the chance.

Reviewed 4 February 2011

We were a family of six adults and one baby and were concerned that the baby could be a disruption to other diners. This was overcome by placing us in the central area of the house while other diners were on balconies or around the pool. We understand the house once stood in Penang and like others in the Bon Ton Resort has been moved to Langkawi. We ordered a range of food and I had the prawn and green mango salad followed by the beef. Both were excellent. Other members of the family commented favourably on their meals. While we were waiting for our meals we were able to wonder around the other rooms of the house and be entertained by the dog and cats which for us was a touch of home.
We must have missed the specials board on our way in but when we discovered it the staff were very accommodating in allowing us to change our order slightly.

Reviewed 1 January 2011

The Straits Club Restaurant at Temple Tree was a pleasant surprise during our stay at the resort. The Chef Matthias offers an amazing array of traditional and international dishes. I had an amazing prawn and mango salad (I uttered the words 'best salad of my life") and an incredible baked Sea bass dish. Everything is really fresh and well flavoured. Most of the tables are outside and eating there with candlelight was very romantic! There was also a set menu 'wine night' during our stay which was also great. Even if you're not staying at Temple tree the restaurant is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 1 January 2011

During my stay at Temple Tree and the Bon Ton I have eaten at both of the restaurants. The Bon Ton is open aired and has a wonderful view over the landscape of marshland and bird reserve. The Straits Club is more hidden away and really does have a charm of it's own. Fusion here is the secret and the ingredients (particularly the meat) are of excellent quality. You can choose to sit on the small terrace or a couple of tables are romantically placed by the well lit pool. You really should not miss this experience. As for Temple Tree itself as a place to stay and unwind, it is in a class of it's own. No wonder people still talk of the Rick Stein review and it's mention in small luxury hotels of the world. I have been seriously travelling for 30 years and it really takes something to make me think wow but the Chinese House I stayed in overlooking the pool certainly did that. A couple of small problems are dogs barking at night and a lot of cats around the place but animals are clearly the passion of the owners and that has to be respected, would it stop me staying again, I think not. There are just too many positives and the food is one of their biggest assets, as are the staff who are kind, attentive and not in the slightest intrusive. If you want to relax away from London as we did, this did the trick!