“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”

D'Coconut Hill Resort
Ranked #94 of 105 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We drove up to Gunung Raya and went up to the lookout tower. The employees were idling and smoking in the lobby and it stinks. I asked for directions to use bathroom and got a vague reply. I found it at all in the cafeteria which is dirty and dusty, with dead bugs and cobwebs everywhere. I quickly use the bathroom and ran out. Doors were missing from hinges and broken glasses, the place stinks and dead bugs and garbage everywhere. The place desperately needs to be torn down.
Do not pay RM10 to go up to the lookout tower. It is not worth it and very disgusting.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed here for two nights since the pictures seemed nice and the only review wasn't that bad. Though before we departed for Langkawi two not-so-good reviews had arrived and gave us some bad vibes about the hotel.
Wasn't that bad as some people painted it though.
Biggest downside is that it's really in the middle of nothing, it's about 30-40 minutes of serpentine-roads. The staff tried to look helpful but they didn't mind telling us that the pool and the other restaurant was closed for maintenance without any compensation whatsoever. And without a pool you really cant do much up on the top as the hotel is the only thing here. But the staff just laughed it all away like some of our other minor complains.
Anyway, I would advise a hotel somewhere else as you are really stuck up here. Go here for the view from the tower but then go back down again with the same cab.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Recommend only for travelers who wants to be isolated. This so called resort is very very far from happening places in Langkawi. It takes at least an hr to reach this place from airport.
Once we reached there, we realized that if we will stay here we will not be able to cover sightseeing spots. We requested the staff if they can shift us to another hotel in Kuwah town. They did recommend us to go to "Langkawi budget Inn" and it was so pathetic, that I cannt explain here.
Overall not a recommended place in Langkawi. Better to stay in Kuwah or in Cenang.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

So sorry I booked before the most recent reviews where written...

Horrid in every conceivable detail apart from the view (which you can visit and view for free)... I can't go through it all because I'll be writing all night but I can think of no positives. I've never taken it upon myself to bother writing reviews but for god's sake, go else where! I walked out and went to the White Lodge Chalet that was half the price and a million times better.

This place belongs in a horror movie!!! On complaining, the manager told me I'd have to call Adoga in Thailand....... I just left and got on with my holiday......

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oxford1981
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Where do I start?? On arrival everything seemed to be ok but as we checked in and made our way to the room things began to unfold, the place had an eerie feel about it due to the low lying cloud and it set the scene for a very creepy 24 hours!!

At first glance the room looked well aesthetically, but on closer inspection there was mould in the drawers, the fridge, on the walls, the bed, everywhere! We barely slept that night because the smell from the pillows was so bad!

The food selection and quality was absolutely terrible, there was one option for dinner.. pizza. For breakfast there was no selection, they just brought out an omelette, my partner doesn't like them so she had to make do with the side salad! For dessert on the evening they managed to muster chicken nuggets and chips, and there was one option for dessert... TINNED FRUIT!!

Although most of the hotel was in a desperate state of disrepair it was still accessible to guests, there was mould everywhere, doors hanging off hinges, dirt & faeces on the stairs and in the corridors. There were people living amongst all of that, which I think were the young hotel staff, and it was just one big unpleasant experience. I got the impression that this would have been a lovely hotel 20+ years ago, but not now it's not fit to cater for guests anymore and is in desperate need of an overhaul!

The view from the top is undeniably fantastic when the cloud breaks, but don't hang around once you've seen the view!!

I think the last review summed it up in the first line.... this is not a hote'!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hopkid
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I would not even class this as a hotel. Despite booking via credit card through Asia Rooms, they demanded cash on arrival at premises. Breakfast was stone cold - straight out of fridge, obviously cooked the day before. Rooms dirty, air-con not working. Despite the write up, this is an old and VERY tired resort, even the walkway between the tower and rooms is dangerous, the wood is broken, the place is a deathtrap. This place is a 20 minute drive off the road up a hill - great views but not worth 10% of the price charged. On first night, we went out, returning at 11:30pm. The whole place was in complete darkness, luckily I had a torch on my phone, my partner was terrified. I reported this place to the Malaysian Tourist Board. Avoid at all costs but do go there just to see the views !

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2011

After 3 lovely days in Penang we thought it would be a good idea to escape from the crowds and traffic on our return to Langkawi, where better than on the top of Langkawi's highest mountain, Gunung Raya.

On arrival we received a warm welcome from the staff and we were upgraded by the hotel manager from the basic room we booked up to the deluxe suite! The deluxe suite rooms are massive and airy. The decoration is nothing too fancy, but tasteful, the shower/toilet was modern and everywhere was spotlessly clean. However the real highlight of these rooms is the massive balcony with stunning views of Kuah town, the sea and the surrounding islands. A troupe of shy Dusky Leaf Langur monkeys set up camp in the trees surrounding our balcony and just really set the tone.

The swimming pool is quite small, which didn't bother us as we never encountered the few other guests that were staying there, but yet again the view comes into play! From the edge of the pool, framed by trees is another stunning view, this one of the mangroves. For breathtaking sunsets and sunrises or whenever you want, the hotel Tower offers 360 views of Langkawi, you can eat here also but its a little more expensive than eating downstairs in the restaurant. We tried the Vietnamese food for dinner, which was reasonably priced by hotel/resort standards, the food was a little average, nothing spectacular but nice.

The staff here are a very young team, so if professionalism and efficiency is your thing, I suggest you stay elsewhere...but if you enjoy genuine friendliness and an almost shy charm, something I consider quintessentially Malay, well this is the place for you..lie back and breath in that mountain air, whats the rush?! We also had our inclusive breakfast served to us in bed which was lovely.

All in all we were sorry we only booked one night here, its removed from everything so unless you are up for driving about you are at mercy of the hotel facilities. But I'd gladly sacrifice convenience for a couple of days in this unique and charming resort.

We took a taxi from the airport and it cost us only 50 ringgit. We never got to see the basic room that we payed for but I have to say, the prices for the rooms in general are great value, its hardly four/five star luxury but the location trumps all cons. Alcohol is very expensive in the hotel so make sure you bring your own, besides your balcony is where you should be sipping the drinks,taking in the sights and sounds of the rain forest.

If visiting Langkawi as a couple or a group of friends, I recommend you try D'Coconut Hill Resort, I think two nights is an ideal amount of time to gently unwind, truly away from it all, those crowds down on the beaches aren't going anywhere.

I will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends