“Peaceful and totally love the nature around the resort”

D'Coconut Hill Resort
Ranked #94 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I lived in KL and stayed in this resort from 8th to 11th July 2014 with my parents.

Initially when I was deciding where to stay in Langkawi for our holidays, I read the reviews concerning this resort and was truly deciding against booking this place. However what made me change my mind was my parents are not the "beachy" kind of tourists. Beside during the month of July, it was really hot in KL and I was looking for a nice cooling place to relax and enjoy.

Armed with the knowledge that it may not be a 5 star hotel and it could be a creepy place to stay in, I booked a junior suite for 3 nights on the abovementioned date.

The road up to the resort took about 20mins and it is pretty winding. Along the way, we saw monkeys and grazing cows. The scenery was really lovely and the air was so crisp, fresh and cool. When we arrived, the weather was bright and sunny. We welcomed with open arms by Joseph, the resort manager and the staff. The first thing we did was to the 360 degrees observation tower where we had full view of Langkawi. We could see the airport, Pantai Cenang, Kilim geoforest park and lots of little islands that make up Langkawi. We were awed by the scenery.

Then we were led to our room which is a short walk away from the lobby via a bridge. To be brutally honest, the hotel was rundown with plenty of cobwebs and the bed sheets were damp from the mists. Even the toiletries smelled old and it did feel like the room was not occupied for a long time. However it was spacious enough to accommodate 3 of us. It has a bed area, a shower with toilet, a makeup table, a living room, a small pantry, a big balcony overlooking a beautiful view, 2 rattan chairs on the balcony, cupboards, desk lamps, drawers which are not very clean, a coat rack and a TV with some Astro channels.

During our stay, we have experienced different weathers. We had a storm in the middle of the night with flashes of lightning, misty and rainy morning with gusts of cold wind and bright, clear sunny sky too. My parents love their stay absolutely and so did I. Breakfast consisted of either Western or Asian food with coffee and juices. We were treated very well. Perhaps that was because we were the only staying guests. We felt safe staying as there was a latch which we used to secure the door every night before we slept. We were back in the early evening to see the beautiful sunset and in the early morning, we were up at the observation tower to see the sunrise and the fog clearing away.

Overall we had a good experience. My advice would be if you are looking to stay in crowded and noisy places, this resort will not be your choice. Also if you intend to use hotel amenities such as swimming pool, spa or are extremely fastidious about cleanliness or particular about food, then this resort is not for you. However if you are looking for a quiet place to stay, somewhere to relax, in need of fresh cool air to clear your head, early sleeper and an avid walker, the resort is a good choice to unwind away the stress.

As what others had posted in their reviews, please do buy some food and water as the drive up and down to the town areas could take up plenty of time. Bring your own toiletries like shampoo and toothbrush and soaps are provided. Close the windows at night as there are a lot of flying insects as the resort is totally surrounded by trees.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank FuiYin

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We went up the hill to see the expansive views offered by the tower in this resort, and the pleasant and friendly reception staff were happy for us to use their amenities. The difference between the brochure and the reality was astounding. It appears to be the same place, but in a state of extreme disrepair. The swimming pool was green with algae, the spa had no water but was full of dead leaves. The toilets were so full of insect life, I got to choose beween a gigantic moth fluttering in one (among other life forms) and a BIG spider near me in the other; and the vanity was so dirty, this space really can't have been cleaned for a year or two. I was surprised they allowed visitors to go through this resort and see the state of things. The views were great as promised, but there's no way we'd stay at the resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank justinmarcy
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went up the mountain for the view.. and had a tour trough the resort. The swimming pool is green and there are only two sunbeds. The wooden floor is rotten and the toilets are covered with spiders and haven't been cleaned for at least a few years I think.

Creepy place!

Room Tip: Dont go here!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oanna1989
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Like the last reviewer I did not stay here but visited to see the view which is great . The set up here is very strange looks deserted and I would agree is creepy . It's extremely run down the pool area is awful with exposed electrics etc ,no pool furniture to speak of and looks like it needs a good clean .We looked at the room which I assume is the dinning room it's extremely bare and uninviting.I wouldn't stay there if you paid me and would be highly suspicious of the actual operation of this hotel .

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Thankfully we didn't stay here but we went to visit the tower. To be honest I thought the name D'Coconut 'Resort' was a joke until I asked the man at the top of the tower if it was actually a hotel to which he replied yes! The whole area was deserted and the 'hotel' was surrounded by a big metal gate with spikes on, making it look like something out of Alcatraz! From what we saw of the pool it was completely covered by shade and there was no one anywhere near it (and I don't blame them). The journey up to the 'hotel' is a LONG and windy one so you would need a car in order to not be completely stranded.

I cant comment on the inside of the hotel or the service as I didn't stay there but it was so unappealing from the outside that I had to look it up on here in order to believe that people stayed here!

The view from the tower is good but only on a clear day! it is also 10 RN to get up which I personally thought was not worth it but only because it was hazy.

I would not book this hotel in a million years so I felt compelled to write a review to prevent others from making a mistake. Spend a bit more and go somewhere else on this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Not sure there is one?
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katy b
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Do not go to this hotel! We did not stay here but went up to the adjacent tower to see the views. Afterwards we asked if we could check out the hotel and the security man showed us the way. The place appears to be completely abandoned and I can't imagine how creepy it would be at night. Don't trust any of the positive reviews - they are completely made up and probably from the management to boost ratings. Also, on the way out we asked if the hotel is still renting rooms and the lady at the front counter said yes - we are fully booked! We didn't see a single guest and I can't imagine anyone staying there once they see inside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank QueenBeanTreen
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This property is in a beautiful location on Gurung Raya hill. But we had a terrible experience here.We stayed in this hotel for two nights. On the third morning we woke up at 6 by a missed phone call and discovered the door of our room is wide open and my handbag containing our passports and cash worth Us $ 1000 was missing. While searching my handbag my husband received the phone call again and this time a male voice instructed him over phone to go to toilet. My husband rushed to the toilet near swimming pool and found my bag there. The thieves returned us the passports only. And the phone call was coming from my stolen blackberry.
The most interesting part is that , on the previous evening when my husband asked a staff of the hotel, called Nai NAi about the direction of the toilet , he showed him the toilet near swimming pool. Though there are a number of toilets in the hotel premises, the caller indicated the same toilet which he showed my husband last night. On inquiry we came to know that Nai nai is not a staff of this hotel , but an associate of a staff called Jo. Still he was allowed to serve us food and to bring luggage inside our room.
It is also to be noted that at the time of theft, we were the only guests in the entire hotel (me, my husband our child , my sister and her husband) and there were only about five staffs. When we asked the hotel authority to help us , the owner offered us 500 RM, but did not take any initiative to get back the money. We went to the police but that also yielded no result.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family