“Great Location with Terrible Service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Baron Resort Langkawi

De Baron Resort Langkawi
Ranked #102 of 141 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Bhubaneswar, India
“Great Location with Terrible Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel with my wife and 7 year old daughter. Great location. I enjoyed sun set from the deck just on the sea. Great swimming pool. My room was little away from the reception area just opposite the road. Room was good which was partially sea view and partially hill view. Clean room.

I booked this hotel after reading mixed reviews on trip advisor. After staying in this hotel I understood why this hotel with excellent location with excellent fascilities, is not getting good reviews. It is because of their terrible service. My experience is given below.
1. After check in, I booked their mangroovr tour. The lady who booked my tour, directed me to be present at the reception at 9.45 am next day. Acordingly I was ready but the driver came early and literally dragged us from the breakfast area using filthy language in front of other tourist. When I said that I was directed to be presemt at a particular time and accordingly I am ready. Then he showed some thing whete it was written to be ready before one hour from the start time. Repeatedly I told him that I have no fault and am ready as per the instruction of the tour manager. He was still showing me bad body lanfuage. After reaching at jetty, when we came to know that their boat is not ready and we have to wait for 30 to 45 minutes, then I went to the driver and adked him why he insulted me? Then again he started scoling me thowing smokes from his cigarete. When I told him that I will lodge complain with the hotel then he threatened me that I am a tourist and in his country he can do anything. When I threatwned him to call tourist police then also he did not care. So the driver lost my mood and I decided to come back. Then the guide who is a very good person requested me and I continued the trip. I enjoyed the trip because of the boat guide only. I complained wirh the hotel but thete was no response.
2. In my room there was an old fridge and irritating noise was there due to which we could not sleep. Over phone I complained twice, my wife twice and my daughter once. No respose and qction. When I told them that I am going to disconnect the power supply then also there was no response. I disconnected the power. After one hour one petson came and did not undetstand anything. The person did not know english and just giving blank look and left without understanding the problem. Next no body was bothered to neither solve the problem nor showed any interest even I reminded them about last night problem.
3. In their restraurant, the boy does not know english. He served something which I have not ordered. While told 5hen took away and served in another table. He for got one of our important order and when remind3d aftwr 45 m8nutes, then he ran to the kitchen. In the mean time another boy served us juice which we have not ordered. I find it was also happening with others also. Again the first boy who ran to the kithen for got and again in the process of reminding him I injured my self. Finally my order being served. Then I got a wrong bill. Again when I complained, they rectified and I paid the bill. After that I did not take anything there.

So I will recommend this hotel to stay only without taking their tour service and restraurant service. Bunch of unprofessional jokers are running this great hotel with a great location. In terms of service, I had only one good experience that is smooth check in and one boy helped me carring luggage to my room.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is our 2nd visit to this Hotel and we did not regret returning there. The reception staff were friendly and we were checked in quickly. I would like to mention Aida in the office for her patience when we booked with the hotel direct.

We stayed in a DeLuxe Sea View room and the view of the jetty and the large bay with lots of moored yachts is quite spectacular, The room was clean, with tea and coffee making facilities etc. and comfortable beds. There was a hot and cold drink dispenser in the corridor and the only thing that really let the hotel down was the very dirty hallway carpet - please get it cleaned!! The Dining Room, also open lunch and dinner times, has a good breakfast buffet of local and world-wide choices. There was also an egg station, with omelettes etc. cooked to order.

The grounds were large and pleasant. An arched wooden walkway with hanging pots of orchids went over a pond containing quite a lot of large fish and on to nice swimming pool, a section of which includes a water slide for the kids. There is also a long wooden terrace along the sea wall of the hotel which was furnished with tables, chairs and pool beds. The hotel is well known for running seminars and courses which is possibly the reason for the hotel pool etc being so quiet during the day - a lot of the guests are working during that time. Very good for holidaymakers such as us as it is nice and quiet then! It can be quite busy early morning and early evening.

One thing that is not mentioned in the hotel descriptions - there is a little beach reached from stairs in the terrace. Don't know why the deBaron don't make a feature of this. It is not too long or wide but nice enough to sunbathe on and even to swim from if you prefer the sea water to the pool. The water is not blue, but doesn't seem to be too dirty as boats don't go close to the hotel, especially the motorised boats from the jetties. The hotel just needs to clear up the electrical wiring snaking around underneath the terrace, presumably from some redundant lighting, and it would be a nice enough area.

I think some of the negative reviews are possibly from guests who stayed in the hotel section across the car park. It is really worth while here to pay the extra and get a sea view. Location wise, the hotel is pretty central. To the left is the small town centre, the twice a week night market and a little further is the main Restaurant area, mostly Chinese owned and to the right is a small marina very near the hotel with a few restaurants, then a walk through the adjacent Legenda Park, which also has a nice, mostly unused, beach leads direct to the gorgeous, large eagle statue and the main Jetty which contains a shopping centre, so if you are ready for a Starbucks or some shopping therapy you will find it there. There is also a shopping mall on the main road between the deBaron and the Jetty.

I would mention that the hotel has mainly Malaysian guests and there can be sometimes a lack of communication that comes across as lack of training. If the hotel think it worth-while they could possibly address this problem.

Kuah is not a beach resort but we had a week in Kuah and a week in Pantai Cenang, which seemed to be a good mix for us.

Room Tip: Sea View worth paying for
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annechad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel itself was ok, clean enough and did all we asked for.

Personally i would not stay in kuah again as there isnt really much there at all.

Pentai cenang is the prefered area with alot more going on / placea to eat etc.

3 males sharing two double beds - 1 extra bed worked out v expensive when we quizzed the staff at reception so we got on with it.

Shower was good and there was room service daily.

Pool ok, views out the back of the hotel beyond the pool were nice.

Location really stung this hotel for me personally as we spent every day driving 20 mins to other areas.

Stayed February 2014
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

For RM250, i got a room with a broken 3 legged chair and itchy bed.

The hallway was like a dirty student hostel.

There were mosquitoes in the room as the window was open all the time until i checked into that room.

Not worth the cheap value.

The only thing acceptable is the breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank m3lvinlim

Travellers are raving about these Langkawi hotels

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed at this resort recently (27/01 - 31/01) and found it to be excellent value for money. Stayed in the Delux Family Room, which is in the main building and had a great view of the ocean and Jetty Point.

The room was old (needs new paint coat and carpet), however the amenities were good.

Buffet breakfast was good, with a good selection of Malaysian and Western dishes.

Location of the resort is also great as it is very close to Kuah town and there is plenty to do in and around the resort.

The pool area and deck overlooking the bay also added to the overall experience.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Main Building, Level 3.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nabz23
George Town, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Firstly, their standard room is gloomy and dark, the entire hotel, walk ways and rooms are gloomy and dark. The shower is horrible, it hangs above your head and the water pressure is miserable. Overall I must say its not an ideal place to stay even for a budget hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sabrina J
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Be mentally prepared for..

1) dirty bed sheets /carpet and dusty sofas
2) basic-eng speaking staffs (they can be helpful if u can speak malay thou. )
3) dim lit corridors
4) rm10 for extra blankets/pillows

yep..the only good point is that the beds are soft and rather big (deluxe room)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family