“The Truth: One of the Best Hotels we have stayed at!!”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed here for 1 week from the 8th of Feb. In a few words: A+ Star!! The views were tremendous. The architecture when you arrive at the reception leaves you speechless. Originally we booked Sharaton but once reading Tripadvisor I discovered that it was too far from Kuah.

Location: This is worth its weight in Gold. Talk about being so close to town (2 minutes drive) and yet because the road to Westin is a dead end, you will not hear noisy traffic going past you. It surprised me that a Hotel so close to Kuah actually felt worlds away giving you all the convience of shopping when needed fused with the privacy of a good 5 star hotel

Service: When we arrived they hit the Gong. You feel like Royals steeping into a palace. They sat us down and gave us a cooling drink. Being Starwood Gold an upgrade was granted from Ocean View Room to Executive Suite. This of course is subject to availibility. We really liked the decor of the room. It mixed contemporary and tradition Balinese type colours and feel. Just before coming to this hotel we had just stayed in Amara Sentosa and then Capella in SIngapore in their Villas. Of the latter the style is ultra modern and high tech. Strangely enough me and my wife felt more ''at home'' at Westin. Views of Ocean from Suite really top notch. We were on the ground floor next to the exit at the very end of the Starwood Wing so going to the pool was very direct. As we were on the right sided wing looked towards the ocean, we enjoyed spectacular vies of the sun set and of the jetty. This hotel has the right attitude towards its customers: and believe me as we only stay in 5 star/boutique hotel around the world.!! The Malay men at Concierge know what they are talking about and bend over backwards to make you feel special. Even the cleaners smile and greet you as you walk past them. I even saw the restaurant manager drilling his staff outside one evening for BBQ to make sure everything must go well! Obviously they push for high standards.

Food: Again did not disappoint. Prices were fair. But then again I am converting $NZ to Rm. I really don't undertand why some reviewers here mention that there is not enough variety. I am of Chinese descent born in New Zealand, and so apppreciate Asian and Western Breakfasts. This one really has the best of both worlds and offers so much. I would say it was on par with Capella and Amara in SIngapore. You will never eat it all beacuase there is too much choice and everyday they change. Every morining I had 2-3 plates worth and could not eat again until dinner time. Not because it was a buffet but because of taste and its healthy (SUper Rx foods). I think Westin wants their guests feed well so they have good holidays and are less grumpy. Interestly enough I asked one of the chefs who was grilling lamb fillets one morning where it had come from. He said New Zealand. I thought no wonder we don;t get this quality meat back home- its being exported to and snapped up by 5 star hotels overseas!!!

Amenities: Squash courts, Table Tennis, Pool, spacious Gym. Even a Nintendo. You name it they have it. Leaving Langawi during the morning gave us a surprise. We were travelling to KL domestically and went in buisness class on Malaysia Airlines. As a buisness class passanger you normally get lounge use at the airport to chill out and refresh. But Langawi airport did not have one!! Very disapointing for MAS!! Westin offered a lounge (which I thought was unique) and we were in there straight away enjoying the air con. Due to my Starwood Gold status we also got some free food. ( I did ask the Concierge guys if the food is better at breakfast at the Westin or at the their airport lounge. Depending on his answer, I was going to 'save room' in my stomach. He laughed and said of course here is better at the restaurant.)

Just to make the final touch: we forgot some t shirts in the wardrobe. So I called them from KL straight away. They then promptly sent to where we stayed in KL. They even followed up by calling me to see if it had arrived. I have never seen such good old fashioned service. Too many hotels treat you like a number but not this one.

Next time we are in Langkawi, don't even ask us where we will be staying- its a no brainer!! Hooked is the word. Personally I would vouch for this hotel as being a fair priced, excellently located and equipped luxury hotel in Langawi. Its not one of those hotels where film stars go where they charge you an arm and a leg for just showing up. If you join Starwood and work your way up the status ladder they will reward and look after you. At the end of the day it goes both ways. Your loyalty they will remember and return back many fold.

Congratulations to the Manager and Staff.

Terminator say: I'll be back!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
WLmgntRepresentative, The Management Team at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

Dear Daniel328,

Thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other reviewers on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay and felt our location, facilities and friendly & helpful staff service satisfactory. It was a pleasure to have you with us.

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa

Reviewed 22 March 2011

From the moment you step inside the westin it's like your bones turn to mush, everybody who works there just wants you to chill out and relax. The deco in the reception area is beautiful especially at night time when all the tea lights are lit. The breakfasts were fabulous with a great choice, excellent swimming pools, loved the free cocktails served every evening and canapes. We had a barbecue one evening but found it to be expensive and the entertainment was boring to say the least, there was no atmosphere, give us a good band that plays Abba music, not traditional dancers and fire eaters seen it all before, we looked around and everybody looked as bored as we were.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
WLmgntRepresentative, The Management Team at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Dear busyoldies,

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay despite the above shortcomings you have experienced. We will review the entertainment and look into the possibility to improve the atmosphere of our restaurant.
It was a pleasure to have you with us. The entire team and I at The Westin Langkawi look forward to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

What a great hotel! I would definitely stay here again - actually I didn't want to leave! The rooms were a great size with VERY comfy beds and huge TV. I loved the shower - great water pressure! The breakfast was superb - lots of food, good quality, great service! There is free wifi located in the lobby if you happen to have your own laptop with you. It was sometimes slow, it just depended on the time of day I guess. The hotel grounds are beautiful.
Taxis are cheap to get around. You can walk to the jetty from the hotel. This is where many tours (via water) leave from. it's about a 10 minute walk. Beware of the monkeys on this short walk - you may see some, especially in the morning. Don't feed them!
The hotel staff was very accommodating and very helpful. The service was great. I had ordered room service one night and it arrived very quickly. Good food too.
The pool is amazing - with swim up bar. I just wished they had some happy hour drink specials.....drinking from the hotel bar can add up rather quickly! haha.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank hawaiiboundToronto

Dear hawaiiboundToronto,

We are glad you have enjoyed your stay and felt our location, facilities and friendly & helpful staff service satisfactory. It is a pleasure to have you with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

We stayed at The Westin in Langkawi which was faultess from a service/scenery (Not an issue for us being near the port, as others have mentioned- certainly wasn't noisy or disruptive)and facilities perspective. We were made thoroughly welcome and everything from checking in to our departure was excellent. The staff were attentive, polite, extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The pool, beach and sunbed area were all lovely and the food was a very high standard from what we experienced within the complex. We did find the food overpriced- the quality was v good but expensive for even basic snacks- Club Sandwich with chips £12, Tuna Niciose Salad approx £10. Half of Tiger Beer £4 approx. Perhaps this is the norm for 4* hotels but we certainly couldnt justify ths every day of our lengthy stay.The rooms were lovely-agree with some comments re some things being a bit tatty and dusty areas in the rooms but in our opinion this attention to housekeeping detail is all which holds The Westin back from being a 5* resort.
Please see our other reviews re restaurants in Kuah and Pantai Cenang and at the cable cars

Dear NewNewlyweds,

Thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate you for taking the time to post your comments and share your opinion during your recent stay at our resort. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and felt our facilities and friendly & helpful staff service satisfactory. Nevertheless, we will review the pricing of our food & drinks to ensure that it is more in line with our competitors.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Having spent 7 nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore the Westin came as a bit of a shock. We arrived late and were asked straight away if we would like to upgrade our room for extra money to be quickly followed by the comment "not that there is anything wrong with your room". We decided to give our room a go but were a little dissapointed that is was dark and the sun never shone into the room at any point in the day and yes the funiture is dated. The carpet around the bed was quite dirty. This holiday was a 50th birthday surprise from my husband. I went down to the beach at dawn and was I in for a shock... The beach had a lot of seaweed on it (not new) and litter and the sea was very murky. I later tried going in the murky sea but got out pretty quick as the sea bed was slime. A few days later the tide went far out and the disgusting sea bed was revealed in all its glory. I had a few bites on my legs from the first day and by day 5 my husband counted over 200. I had used repellant every time we went out and while using the sunbeds. We then became convinced that the bites were from bed bugs after my husband had several bites after lying on the pillows to watch TV for a short while. After a word with a guy in reception we allowed to change room for our last night but no upgrade offered. Such a shame as with a little effort this hotel could be so much better. The views are magnificent but be aware you are not going to see crystal clear waters or walk on powdery white sand. A special thankyou to Idzafiq Yeusoff for making sure we got to the airport on time when our private transfer failed to arrive.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ottersfoot
Reviewed 19 March 2011

we stayed in a ocean view private villa with our own pool and it was breathtaking. outstanding service and quality. main pools good, scenery enchanting, breakfast suberb!!!
Staff very pleasant, Not much around in walking distance but taxis very affordable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Dear hixy,

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. The entire team at The Westin Langkawi looks forward to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

My wife and I stayed here for five nights at the tail end of February. What I will always remember is the great service this hotel offers in particular.
The location is wonderful, with fantastic views of the Langkawi Islands, the beach though a bit disappointing. It's made up of finely crushed sea shells, as opposed to sand, but still ok to walk on bare foot.
We were given a well appointed room with a small patio area outside, but the main access road passed to the rear of it so no privacy in this small patch. Point being, ask for a sea view room if you make a booking.
Unfortunately we suffered a family bereavement during our stay and had to return to Kuala Lumpur as soon as possible to fly home to the UK. This is when the staff were really helpful, making extra hotel bookings in KL, phoning airlines etc: all that was needed for a quick departure. They did a first class job, for which we are very grateful.
One day my wife, & I will want to come back to this hotel to enjoy the holiday break which was regrettably curtailed. It's a wonderful place, & I fully recommend it for a long stay.

Dear TonyL47,
Thank you for choosing us as one of your vacation destination and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other reviewers on TripAdvisor.
Nevertheless, we regret that we are unable to fully meet your expectation with regards to the beach as we were unfortunately not blessed with the best on the island. Although we endeavour to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides but however, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area.