“Best hotel on the island!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
Moscow, Russia
“Best hotel on the island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 7 wonderful days.
And we still have only positive memories about this hotel.
Just like on the picture! The rooms are large, baths are equipped with modern technique, everything is new and function good. The all pools are large and incredibly beautiful. The only negative thing, guests occupy sun beds by the pool early in the morning and almost impossible to find a free.
Fitness room equipped very well. You can rent bikes, etc.
First of all, the staff incredibly attentive and friendly, especially in the main restaurant and bar in the hotel lobby, you will not notice any flaws in this hotel, due to staff.
The hotel restaurant prepares excellent food, good wine selection. Breakfast is great! In general, within 7 days of our stay in the hotel, we didn't want to go out for the territory (except for excursions, which we had booked at the hotel tour desk).
In the evening in the lobby bar, singing trio of remarkable singers, can sing a song in order, if requested).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Mik D,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others and for your warm words regarding your stay. We really appreciate your positive comments on our nicely appointed rooms. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. Concerning your comments on sun loungers were not available; I can say that we do expect a good amount of new sun loungers in early March, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience. I’m very pleased to hear your standards being met with regards to our WestinWORKOUT, recreation facilities, cuisine, as well as attentive and friendly associate. Furthermore thank you for mentioning our Breeze Lounge which offers a relaxed atmosphere with live music, the perfect combination for a nice evening. My team and I would hope to have another opportunity to welcome you here in order to restore your faith in delivering a great overall service to you.

Michael Schlueter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Having stayed at many Starwood hotels in the Asia Pacific region, the Westin Langkawi is definitely the worst.

Upon check-in, the front desk associate's attitude was not friendly and polite. It took him about 10 minutes to find my booking (I booked it through spg.com). In addition, he gave me the worst possible room in the entire resort. The room was in a far corner overlooking a swamp, and smelled as if an animal had crawled in there and died a slow death. Upon complaining to the front office, I was switched to another room. The door of the room has cracks all over it, I found a dead fly on my unused bathroom towel and the wine in the minibar has already been opened by the previous guest.

Whoever the owner of this resort is, there are some serious renovations and restoration which need to be done before the 5 star rating or even the Westin branding can be justified. Please consider this in your capital expenditure budget!

I will not be staying at this hotel ever again, and will definitely inform my friends that they will be wasting their money and time here.

5 Thank Nikki Y
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Nikki Y,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated and it goes without saying that it is very much embarrassing to read your comments. I do want to sincerely apologize for your experience whilst your stay here at our resort. Please rest assured that all points are being taken and addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. We are regretful to have not been able to meet your expectations. Also, we are actually in the midst of renovating our rooms. The finished look of refurbishment will reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. I realized that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi, and maybe try our newly renovated rooms.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Westin Resort and Spa for one week on our honeymoon. It was a beautiful resort. Very clean, excellent facilities such as the 3 swimming pools and work out centre (gym). The breakfast buffet 'seasonal taste' was delicious! We also had dinner at the buffet restaurant for 4 nights as they had different themed nights every day of the week. The staff are always smiling and ready to help you. Would highly recommend this resort to any of my friends heading to Langkawi - it made our honeymoon so enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank TENIELE
Dear TENIELE,

Thank you for having chosen Westin Langkawi for your honeymoon. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. Your satisfaction towards our services and facilities makes me truly happy. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of; our friendly associates are the most valuable assets of our resort. Thanks for recommending Westin as a brand to everyone! It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We have recently returned from a one week stay at this resort. Although its located away from the crowds, it's not expensive to jump in a cab and venture into the town. The hotel also offers a shuttle service to the town daily. This hotel is perfect if you just want to relax, swim read and have the occasional massage at the spa. The food is superb and we would highly recommend eating at Tide. breeze bar is also excellent for cocktails. unfortunately we only learnt that there are free cocktails between 5.30-7.30 except Tuesday and Friday on the last evening we were there. Staff are very friendly although we found information was lacking at reception and our checkin was very rushed. After a long flight we would have liked to have been welcomed sitting down on the lounges with a welcome refreshing drink rather than given one at the counter. It seemed very rushed. Our only suggestions are that free Internet is considered for guests. It is 45 per day although Internet is free in the lobby area and why there's sometimes no seats available as guests monopolise the seating! We also believe that the hotel should reconsider its pricing in the restaurants which may encourage more to eat at the hotel. We ate there 6 nights out of 7 but its not cheap and we paid similar prices to what we pay here in Australia which you do not expect, albeit in a 5 star hotel. Also, we would have liked the hotel to at least offer guests some day activities such as a cooking class, aqua aerobics, Pilates....something to do during the day for those who are staying in the hotel. This may not be for everyone but we stay at a lot of top resorts and enjoy at least having the choice. It offers some fun during the holiday. The resort does, however have an excellent gym. Overall we enjoyed our stay. Thank you Westin.

Room Tip: Choose one overlooking the pool
1 Thank Jayne C
Dear Jayne,

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your experience with others. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. In addition, I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of; our friendly associates are the most valuable assets of our resort. I’m sorry to hear your experience at check in, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing for food & beverage and I’ve addressed this issue with our F&B team. Please rest assured that we will review our pricing strategy continuously. I’ve shared your suggestion with my team, we will review the possibility of add in extra day activities. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Our holiday at The Westin was amazing. Probably one of the best hotel resorts we have ever stayed in. It truly is 5 star. It's positioned on acres of manicured grounds and gardens at one end of the island, tucked away from the rest of Langkawi, offering privacy and security. It has it's own private beach , which is swept by hand, daily. Overall we were impressed at how immaculately clean and well maintained the hotel was, inside and out. The staff, from the reception to the restaurants, were amazing. Very polite, helpful and friendly. One man in particular, Whilam, the afternoon supervisor/concierge was exceptional and he really made our stay outstanding.
The Westin offered a choice of four swimming pools to relax in, including lap pool. Our favourite was the rock pool with it's two water fountains and a mini waterfall. There was a catameran stationed on the beach for hire for approx $20NZ per half hour.
There's plenty of choice of food from the restaurants/cafe's on sight. We found the food to be of high standard and similiar cost, if not cheaper, to our cafes and restaurants back home. There were other options for dining just down the road from the resort at the local yatch club. And if a little more daring, in the town of Kuah which was only 5-10 mins by taxi. We always enjoyed the buffet breakfast as the staff were great and the variety of food bar none.
Our delux room was a little disappointing as it looked straight out onto a high wall which made the room quite dark. So we decided to spend a little extra to get a room with balcony and sea view. That was well worth the extra dollars as we could open the french doors, sit out on the balcony and take in the stunning view. Overall the rooms were of a good size and standard, neutral decor, beds very comfortable, and equipped with everything needed to make the stay pleasant. After driving around the Island and checking out the other hotels, we established The Westin was streets ahead in every way.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and pay for a room with a balcony and seaview. Just make sure you don't leave an...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ruth S,

I’m really delighted to know that you’ve had a great experience with The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa! Thank you very much for your excellent review and for sharing your experience with others. Thank you for highlighting the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful associates. I always think that they’re the most valuable asset of our resort! I do agree with you that our pools are awesome too. Appreciate on your warm word on highlight our signature SuperFoods buffet breakfast and it’s very important to me that guests enjoy great breakfast experiences. We really appreciate your positive comments about our comfortable rooms and facilities. Your highlight on area of satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.

Suzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

The Westin was a very nice hotel, and we enjoyed our stay there. We asked for a renovated room, and we were granted that request upon arrival. My wife very much enjoyed the spa, and the swim pools were nice to kick back.
Some cons that are similar to large scale hotels around the world:
1. The breakfast area was packed with people, and it did feel like a cafeteria during our stay (it was high season)
2. The service was inconsistent- some employees were more accommodating than others. We had a very awkward exchange with an employee who asked to see our key card upon entering the premises on our 3rd day there where he did not ask anyone else, and he had seen us and said hello previously. It almost made us feel a little unwelcome.
3. The food was extremely overpriced. A meal for 300 RM could be had for the same quality down the road for 30 RM. Not too many people dined at this Westin from what we saw. We did have a nice BBQ meal poolside one night that included lobster which was quite tasty however.
4. As previously noted from others, there were not many chairs at the pool, but we never had any problems finding one.
Small gripes aside, it was a wonderful stay, and we enjoyed our time there.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
Dear Jarrett,

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your experience with others. I’m delighted to know that you enjoyed your Westin experience. On another note, I’m concerned about the inconsistent service from our team. We convey our sincere apologies for your bad experience. We appreciate your feedback with regards to our insufficient numbers of sun loungers. I’m regretful and agree to what you say that we’ve actually faced similar challenges with this matter, especially during our high peak seasons. With conjunction to that, our resort has already purchased more sun loungers. The sun loungers have been purchased and are expected to reach the island very soon! I’ve also taken note of your comment and please allow me to help you understand that the Seafood Poolside Barbecue with lobster was actually priced at the amount of RM149 which is a very good value for money, especially in line with the other similar 5* hotels on the Langkawi Island. On top of that, grant me if I may, to explain to you that you can actually get meals here at our resort priced ranging between RM70 and RM80. Nevertheless, I do agree with you that the prices of meals you find down Kuah town is relevantly cheaper, however the dining experiences and the services varies as well. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I've been here half a day and I want to leave. Beautiful grounds but that's all I can say. Just ate dinner. Took 15 min for someone to take my order. Another 15 just to get water. Once my meal was delivered no one stopped by to see if I needed anything. I kept turning around to try and flag someone down but no one paid me any attention. Sat for 20 min after I finished my meal wanting dessert or a glass if wine. No dice. By the time someone bothered to stop by, I just asked for my check.

The service here is sorely lacking. Upon check in wasn't given any info about the property, just a vague wave to indicate which way my room was.

Beach is horrible. Small, filled with trees with no way to get any sun. If I wanted a pool resort I could have stayed at the Ritz in Kuala Lumpur.

Really, really disappointing and depressed this is how my beach vacation is turning out.
Reham Habib

• Stayed February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear Ms. Habib,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated and it goes without saying that it’s embarrassing to read your comments. I offer no excuses for these shortfalls. I totally agree that experiences you bringing up are clear deficiencies about our services and I do want to sincerely apologies for this. I’m concern about the issues regarding our services in the restaurant as well as the Front Office. I’m extremely disappointed that we failed on this occasion to live up the high standards we’ve set for ourselves. Please rest assured that all points are being addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. I’m regretful with your experience with regards to our beach. Unfortunately the water is changing constantly and depending on low and high tide, the experience is always different. I realize that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you’ve experienced. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.