“Best family vacation experience!”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Houston
“Best family vacation experience!”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Overall, Resort had a very similar feel to the Westin Kaanapali (Maui) and Phuket.
Family of 5 - stayed in a 1 bedroom villa (renovated). WOW. What an experience - private pool, HUGE bathroom, essence oil with candles, oceanview and seconds away from the beach, surrounded by nature (with a family of spectacled leaf monkeys up in the trees!).
Food was excellent quality and taste and good variety - my wife had to seek out the head chef and pass the message on personally! Spa water provided in the lobby was just heavenly (wish we could have our own mini jugs in the villas!)
Kids had a blast at the kids club and the recreation centre - ping/pong, pool, tennis etc.
They had a good selection of Mojito's (which my wife loves!) and the bar by the main pool played some excellent "jams" (i.e. music!).
Finally the staff: Jana, Josepth and the rest of the crew were simply wonderful, friendly and very quick and responsive to our needs.
I would highly recommend a stay at one of the villas if possible - you won't regret it! It made what would have been a good experience very, very special: my 9 yr old daughter asked why we can't just continue to live there (because daddy has to work!)
Highly recommend the 3 or 4 hour Jet Ski Mangrove tour - it was a blast and an experience we won't forget for awhile!
Downsides: not a lot, but (a) some rooms have not been renovated, so are a bit dated. (b) No coconuts! (I can't understand why in a resort that has coconut trees I can't get served coconuts!) (c) Water activities a bit limited to kayaking and sailing. Hotel could provide more variety. (d) Tennis court fence didn't have a wall to practice solo). These are relatively minor gripes, so let these hold you back.
SPG Platinum member

Room Tip: Villas are excellent for families or couples. Try to get a renovated one
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Heise R,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. I do agree that the renovated one bedroom villa is indeed magnificent and the natural surroundings around the villa make one’s stay even more special. I appreciate your highlight of our villa’s features as well as the dining experiences you had. It is also great to know that your dining expectations are met and I’m sure the chefs are pleased to know that as well! It also comforts me to hear that your kids had an enjoyable time at the Kid’s Club and recreation center. Not to forget, it’s very kind of you to also mention our wonderful and professional associates! I’m sure they have placed in much effort and attention to ensure your stay with us is a wonderful and memorable one. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! However, with regards to the downsides of your comments, I have personally taken notes on them and will look into it as promptly. It has been a great pleasure serving you and your family and we welcome you again in the near future.

Michael Schlueter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Lovely hotel with great views, very friendly and genuinely helpful staff. I couldn't fault it.

We decided to save a bit of money and choose a garden view room instead of a sea view room as we figured we wouldn't be in the room very often. A sea view room would have been gorgeous, waking up to that view of a morning, but we didn't regret our decision to book a garden view room.

The spa was lovely but my therapist had a cold, which I seemed to have when I arrived home a couple of days later - otherwise excellent. I'd certainly like to be there right now.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Jayne J,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your warm words. I’m always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, spectacular location and stunning scenery, yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. Thank you also for highlighting the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful associates. I always think that they’re the most valuable asset of our resort! Besides, thank you for your compliments about the award winning Heavenly Spa. I hope our experienced spa therapists made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. I’m truly sorry that you seemed to have a cold too, please accept my sincere apologies. Thank you for sharing your valued opinions with others. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Beijing, China
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This hotel met our expectations. Attentive service (most of the times).
When we checked in the front dest didn't ask and assigned us queen sized one-bed room. We didn't quite notice until late in the day had to change room the next day.
There is a quiet private beach. It's nice for sitting around. The sand is not very fine and the bottom becomes mud a few meters into the water line. So the water is not clear.
Good pools.
Close to the jetty.

Room Tip: Do tell the front desk what kind of bed you want if you have preferrence. The don't ask.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear mh001,

Thank you very much for your priceless feedbacks. I’m pleased to find that your expectations on this stay were met. I’ve also looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and sincerely apologies for the shortfall. . We regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation with regards to the beach. And although we endeavor to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides but however, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 7 wonderful days.
And we still have only positive memories about this hotel.
Just like on the picture! The rooms are large, baths are equipped with modern technique, everything is new and function good. The all pools are large and incredibly beautiful. The only negative thing, guests occupy sun beds by the pool early in the morning and almost impossible to find a free.
Fitness room equipped very well. You can rent bikes, etc.
First of all, the staff incredibly attentive and friendly, especially in the main restaurant and bar in the hotel lobby, you will not notice any flaws in this hotel, due to staff.
The hotel restaurant prepares excellent food, good wine selection. Breakfast is great! In general, within 7 days of our stay in the hotel, we didn't want to go out for the territory (except for excursions, which we had booked at the hotel tour desk).
In the evening in the lobby bar, singing trio of remarkable singers, can sing a song in order, if requested).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mik D,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others and for your warm words regarding your stay. We really appreciate your positive comments on our nicely appointed rooms. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. Concerning your comments on sun loungers were not available; I can say that we do expect a good amount of new sun loungers in early March, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience. I’m very pleased to hear your standards being met with regards to our WestinWORKOUT, recreation facilities, cuisine, as well as attentive and friendly associate. Furthermore thank you for mentioning our Breeze Lounge which offers a relaxed atmosphere with live music, the perfect combination for a nice evening. My team and I would hope to have another opportunity to welcome you here in order to restore your faith in delivering a great overall service to you.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Having stayed at many Starwood hotels in the Asia Pacific region, the Westin Langkawi is definitely the worst.

Upon check-in, the front desk associate's attitude was not friendly and polite. It took him about 10 minutes to find my booking (I booked it through spg.com). In addition, he gave me the worst possible room in the entire resort. The room was in a far corner overlooking a swamp, and smelled as if an animal had crawled in there and died a slow death. Upon complaining to the front office, I was switched to another room. The door of the room has cracks all over it, I found a dead fly on my unused bathroom towel and the wine in the minibar has already been opened by the previous guest.

Whoever the owner of this resort is, there are some serious renovations and restoration which need to be done before the 5 star rating or even the Westin branding can be justified. Please consider this in your capital expenditure budget!

I will not be staying at this hotel ever again, and will definitely inform my friends that they will be wasting their money and time here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nikki Y
Dear Nikki Y,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated and it goes without saying that it is very much embarrassing to read your comments. I do want to sincerely apologize for your experience whilst your stay here at our resort. Please rest assured that all points are being taken and addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. We are regretful to have not been able to meet your expectations. Also, we are actually in the midst of renovating our rooms. The finished look of refurbishment will reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. I realized that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi, and maybe try our newly renovated rooms.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Westin Resort and Spa for one week on our honeymoon. It was a beautiful resort. Very clean, excellent facilities such as the 3 swimming pools and work out centre (gym). The breakfast buffet 'seasonal taste' was delicious! We also had dinner at the buffet restaurant for 4 nights as they had different themed nights every day of the week. The staff are always smiling and ready to help you. Would highly recommend this resort to any of my friends heading to Langkawi - it made our honeymoon so enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank TENIELE
Dear TENIELE,

Thank you for having chosen Westin Langkawi for your honeymoon. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. Your satisfaction towards our services and facilities makes me truly happy. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of; our friendly associates are the most valuable assets of our resort. Thanks for recommending Westin as a brand to everyone! It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Perth
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We have recently returned from a one week stay at this resort. Although its located away from the crowds, it's not expensive to jump in a cab and venture into the town. The hotel also offers a shuttle service to the town daily. This hotel is perfect if you just want to relax, swim read and have the occasional massage at the spa. The food is superb and we would highly recommend eating at Tide. breeze bar is also excellent for cocktails. unfortunately we only learnt that there are free cocktails between 5.30-7.30 except Tuesday and Friday on the last evening we were there. Staff are very friendly although we found information was lacking at reception and our checkin was very rushed. After a long flight we would have liked to have been welcomed sitting down on the lounges with a welcome refreshing drink rather than given one at the counter. It seemed very rushed. Our only suggestions are that free Internet is considered for guests. It is 45 per day although Internet is free in the lobby area and why there's sometimes no seats available as guests monopolise the seating! We also believe that the hotel should reconsider its pricing in the restaurants which may encourage more to eat at the hotel. We ate there 6 nights out of 7 but its not cheap and we paid similar prices to what we pay here in Australia which you do not expect, albeit in a 5 star hotel. Also, we would have liked the hotel to at least offer guests some day activities such as a cooking class, aqua aerobics, Pilates....something to do during the day for those who are staying in the hotel. This may not be for everyone but we stay at a lot of top resorts and enjoy at least having the choice. It offers some fun during the holiday. The resort does, however have an excellent gym. Overall we enjoyed our stay. Thank you Westin.

Room Tip: Choose one overlooking the pool
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jayne C
Dear Jayne,

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your experience with others. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. In addition, I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of; our friendly associates are the most valuable assets of our resort. I’m sorry to hear your experience at check in, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing for food & beverage and I’ve addressed this issue with our F&B team. Please rest assured that we will review our pricing strategy continuously. I’ve shared your suggestion with my team, we will review the possibility of add in extra day activities. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.