“in need of renovation” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
Warlingham, United Kingdom
“in need of renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

we are half way through our 8 day 30th anniversary break we were told that this was a 5 star resort but due to the state of the rooms and resort i don't think it warrants a 5 star rating.
We are staying in a ocean facing room on the second floor 2310 where there are stains on the ceiling where the air conditioning has leaked in the past the valance has had a rip in it since the day we arrived and the room generally is in a bad state of repair not what you would come to expect from a 5 star westin resort the paint is all chipped and scuffed all over the room.
The swimming pool has tiles missing from it and the swim up bar has mold growing around it in the pool where it has obviously not been cleaned for some time.
Today they actually gave us towels around the pool which had holes in them which should not happen in any hotel let alone a 5 star hotel.
The food and drink in the hotel are expensive as you would expect but you can eat and drink in many local restaurants for a fraction of the price and the food is very nice.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and always smiling which is a plus for this hotel and there are not many.
the whole resort in general needs a complete over hall to bring it up to a 5 star rating and to warrant the rates that they are charging as it is now showing its age.

Room Tip: room 3210 is in the center and has a nice clear view over the sea and is on the same floor as the di...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Simon M
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Simon M,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been. For the shortfall in cleaning your room properly, I sincerely apologies and have spoken with our housekeeping team in order to address all the shortcomings. I am also concerned about the issues regarding our pool cleanliness and will continue to improve on this area. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing for food & beverage, we will review our pricing strategy continuously and to make sure that we are in line with other 5 star hotels on the island. I have taken note on the shortfalls you have mentioned and please rest assured that similar issues are not likely to happen again.

Michael Schlueter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

When pulling up to the resort I was so excited! Lovely big open lobby, Comfortable sofas to sit on and relax. Three flavored waters to enjoy in the lobby. Everyone seemed friendly, always smiling and willing to help. The bar was a very nice place to hangout, have a drink or a little snack.
Finding my room was a bit of a challenge, no bell hop to show me to my room and it took me at least 15 minutes to find it......... Once I found the room, i was pleasantly surprised. Big bed, nice roomy bathroom, with a bath and separate shower. My view was overlooking the pool and behind was the sea. One thing i noticed which really surprised me, the bedding was worn and had TARES in the sheets!! For a 5 star resort that is UNACCEPTABLE!! That is the only negative thing I can say. I loved the breakfast!! Fresh squeezed orange juice along with a juicer for two different juices, either a veggie or a fruit. So many choices of food to pick from!! I had two different massages at the spa, very nice, but very expensive for what you get. Beware of the wild moneys around the spa in the late afternoon. The beach had some nice shells if you are like me that likes to walk and pick for shells. The water at the beach was not swimmer friendly, it wasn't clear and it seemed a bit dirty and slimy. I would recommend this resort for a few days.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the lobby, or you'll walk for a long time........
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear jojoKobe,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I would first like to thank you for your kind highlights on the atmosphere of the lobby, friendly associate as well as Breeze lounge. I am concerned about the issues regarding cleanliness of the bed sheet and have addressed this with my housekeeping team to improve it immediately. Please accept my sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. I would also want to thank you for highlighting signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast as well as award winning Heavenly Spa. As for the beach, the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were initially a bit apprehensive as chain brands have failed to deliver the consistency expected of their brands in some parts of South East Asia. However, The Westin does not disappoint! From the moment we arrived, the aura of Westin was felt in the lobby and complemented the efficient check in, little touches of details which showed that the brand is serious about making a mark here Iin Asia. Rooms are nicely refurbished with a modern decor, breakfast is outstanding, landscape is beautiful and staff are well trained. Even the room service was prompt, as aspect which truely impressed us!
The prices per night on the high end but it does deliver the international 5 star experience. I would suggest that they have more shuttle trips perhaps at 11am, 2pm and 5pm and consider organizing free shuttles to niggt markets or activities that ade free to guests such as cooking demo or yoga so it doesn't give a remote feeling after a few days of stay...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuAnn O
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear PollyP,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience. Your highlight on area of satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. Please rest assured that I have shared your suggestion with my team, we will review the possibility of enhancing our shutter service. Your positive comment has definitely motivated us to perform better! My team and I are really grateful for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back for another renewing stay in the near future!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Had a great 4 days stay here. In a nutshell, great service, friendly and accommodating staff, fantastic breakfast spread. Only complaint was a deafening noise from roof repairs work, but was soon resolved when helpful staff Iqbal changed our rooms to one on the first floor at the corner, away from the noise. Second complaint was that the wifi on the first floor was weak, and I had to go to the bathroom each time to get a decent connection.
Kudos too to staff Desy and Puteri. All in all a pleasant trip and will definitely return!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rupert S,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I appreciate a lot your positive feedback recognizing our customer service and signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. I very much regret that your stay was disrupted by the noise from refurbishment and I am very pleased that things came around and that you are well taken care of by Iqbal. As for the internet access, we will discuss further improvement closely with our service provider. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when you are returning in the future.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Hard to find fault with anything the hotel had to offer. Location picturesque and quiet. Rooms clean and very spacious. For a 5 star hotel, prices not too horrendous and food is to a very high standard. Staff superb, everyone from the cleaners to the management very friendly, polite, courteous and efficient (and always smiling :-) ) and nothing too much trouble for them. Hotel beach clean, but water murky and sludge like underfoot, but hotel has 3 pools, so not a problem. Local town only 10 min walk, but not much to hold your interest. Only stayed for 7 days, but wished we had stayed longer. Thank you Ricardo and team for a most excellent stay. Hope to see you all again sometime....

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View rooms big and airy and although wi-fi not standard in these rooms, managed ok to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glasto65
Dear Glasto65,

Thank you very much for this excellent review. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. I appreciate your positive comments about our room, friendly associate, pools and as well as cuisine. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We are frequent travellers to Langkawi for food. Daily trips but most with overnight stays (this year alone already made 6 trips).My spouse birthday was coming up and i had 7 weeks to plan. Our Ms Josalina, a successful Event Manager recommended Westin Langkawi. She made the arrangements.

The EXPERIENCE:

Took an earlier flight to minimize hitches the Hotel Arrangement. Flight was delayed due to bad weather but little did it effect my timing. Tips for Travellers.....in Langkawi of you can drive on the right....rent a local operator car at a bargain. Rented a brand me Mitsubishi Mirage at RM75 a day.
Arrived at Westin 30 minutes later and was welcome with smiles from their Concierge Team members. The handle my luggage.. small as I'm a light traveller and parked the car. Tip for Guest..let them pamper you at a small token of Rm5 to10 (though I think they are trained to service you with or without tips.... this only Hotel Management can confirm).
Proceeded to the Reception and was met by Mr Ris. He was aware that we were on holiday to celebrate my wife birthday and mentioned that a complimentary cake will be prepared. I requested the cake to be delivered at the strike of 12 midnight. He responded positively in 5 minutes. Thanks to the Chef who accommodated. My wife had called 10 minutes earlier that her 2 nieces aged 8&11, who just arrived from Denver USA longed for a Langkawi holiday. I responded that I won't mine if she won't. Mentioned to MrRis, who gave us an upgrade to 2 Queen Bedded Deluxe room facing the sea. Now these can only happen with highly motivated "Approximately Empowered Staff "who can make fast decision to delight customers. One other staff member who made us feel at home at The Taste Mr. Effendy. We also had Steaks dinner at The Tide, again Steaks were good and service excellent. Though we like to explore from Hotel to Hotel but we will be back to Westin. Unlike, its sister Four Points we had a bad experience earlier this year which even TripAdvisor refused to post your comments (Disappointed, as we are busy people, selective in spending our time writing and had took our time to write)

ROSEMYYUSOP

• Stayed October 2013
Dear ROSENMYYUSOP,

Thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your holidays and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Westin experience. I am very pleased with your overall satisfaction with your stay here and it is always rewarding to know that you felt well taken care of. We look forward to welcoming you for another rejuvenating holiday.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

spent close to week here with the family. would not hesitate to return to spend some nice and relaxed days in a beautiful setting

+ fantastic setting
+ great gym and great overall sport facilities
+ great breakfast and breakfast setting
+ nice pool landscape
+ friendly staff

- fairly dirty beach (water rather) which we couldnt (didnt) use - not sure whether this was seasonal or not
- old and ugly looking elevators (strange, very nice hotel and than these ugly elevators)
- disappointed by the food quality of the 'special malaysian candle light dinner' (cant recall the exact name, but wasnt worth it)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2013sas
Dear 2013sas,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I appreciate your positive comments about resort setting, WestinWORKOUT, recreation activities, SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast, pools and also friendly associate. I am truly sorry that we have let you down with regards to the beach. Our beach is not as good as the beach in the North of Langkawi, as we were unfortunately not blessed with the best on the island. I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have experienced to our attention as this will only assist in improving towards service excellence. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.