“Location Location”

Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Location Location”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Will share the problem first. while booking this hotel, i was enquiring in the online chat of Westin site. All i was wanting was a oceanview room (because from the hotel site it wasn't clear which room was that). The chat agent "Simone C" repeatedly told me that with 969 ringgit, i would get a oceanview villa. Not seeing it on site, i asked him thrice whether it was a villa and he confirmed. Later on i found it was a simple room and not a villa!! I guess the agents should be trained more to focus on customer's query rather than thinking of business!!

Everything else was great. If you want a quiet place to spend your vacation in Langkawi, this is a good option. The hotel is very close to Langkawi jetty and have their private approach road and beach. Dining in restaurant was excellent with the view in front. I must mention the proactive support and assistance i got from the staffs regarding simplest of things. For example, 1 night i had to go to hospital with my wife and the assistance i got was overwhelming

Room Tip: Do not trust the online chat agent of the hotel site.
1 Thank itsshuvo
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear itsshuvo,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I appreciate you bringing up the issue you have encountered regarding central customer service to our attention. Please rest assured that similar incident not likely to happen again. It is wonderful to know that you find our location conveniently and I am pleased to know that your dining expectations and needs were met. Last but not least, I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. We hope to see you again for another renewing stay.

Michael Schlueter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I would have given this a 4.5 start but for the fact that this is not an option. It is somewhere between very good and excellent. Now to the actual review.

It is fairly far from the airport and central city so this is the first thing to be aware of. However, the place is gorgeous with 3 different pools, 1 a rock pool for playing, a small wading pool for kids and an almost infinity pool. This is a beach property but the beach is not the best in the area. The breakfast buffet was amazing with unlimited champaing, waffles, crepes other western and malaysian dishes.

The shower was almost see through from the room and hence not the best for families. No way to have privacy while you shower. And the shower itself was a bit weird in that it kept going from hot to cold.

We were able to very easily lock ourselves out of the room because of the security latch. Something that seemed odd to me.

While I have concentrated mostly on the negatives, the reason for that was every thing else was exceptional. The service, food and room otherwise was amazing. The bed was large and very comfortable. The beach chairs were very comfortable and well shaded. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rishisinha
Dear rishisinha,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Your satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. In regards to the beach, I do agree that the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach. Thanks for letting us know shower water issue and have informed our engineering team accordingly for immediate improvement. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just back from a 3 night break at the--- The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa..
To be honest the hotel was good / clean and friendly enough. Free WIFI worked well and the location is quiet and peaceful which is exactly what we had planned for. Drink and food prices were about right and were not stupid or OTT!
Now the one thing that really disappoints most travellers is an inconsistent pricing policy – This hotel is the biggest offender I have came across in many years of staying at reputable hotels. I am an SPG preferred guest program member. At the time of booking I challenged Starwood group why their website was more expensive than Booking.com or Agoda for the same superior room / partial sea view including breakfast, the hotel immediately readjusted the price down to match the two above. In discussion with other guests 2 of whom were not part of the SPG program we learnt that they booked around a similar time as my wife and I, indeed for the same dates / rooms etc including breakfast - -other guests paid 1000MYR (£200 GBP) less than ourselves booking with the SPG website as so called preferred guests.. I am so disappointed with SPG group as they do not commit to a best price available policy (Which Marriot group fully commit too) It’s a lottery when you book with them – avoid getting ripped off and suffering disappointment like ourselves – steer clear of SPG booking site and the preferred member scheme, it will save you money longer term.

Dear Knockout28,

Thank you very much for your precious feedback. I appreciate your positive comments about clean and friendly environment and good to know you enjoyed our peaceful location. Concerning your comment on our pricing, please rest assured that we do continue monitor our prices and to observe supply and demand so that we always offer the best price at the time of booking. SPG rates and bookings from our own website are definitely the best and if something was different that it might have been a mistake but not the rule. It is very important for us that our guests feel they get value for money during their stay in The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

York, UK
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Great! Left the Westin Resort and Spa Langkawi 5 nights ago after staying for 7 nights and before moving to the Danna hotel.

My boyfriend and I had a lovely stay with many pros and just a couple of cons compared to where we are now.

I love fitness, so I really enjoyed running on my own on the beach (no one there till 9-10am). As you can see from the pictures, I was always able to access jetty to exercise there… awesome view! Gym not that great, but I went back for cold towels and refreshing apple-cinnamon drink.

Soon after at breakfast I enjoyed freshly made juices (vitamin station) combined with a glass of Champagne. Omelets similar to how my boyfriend makes so… perfect with a bit of fresh Salmon, Chicken Rendang (breast… thank you!!!), Noodles and Rotis. Loved the porridge, a proper skinny latte and I was ready for the pool. OK, more than one, so different but I enjoyed change of scenery.

We went for dinner at the restaurant twice. First night not so good, but the second night (Indian) was lovely with naan bread made for us and brought to our table.

Thank you for the upgrade (our 10th anniversary), our room was lovely!!!

Pros:
- Lovely, light colour, refurbished room with spectacular view of both the pool areas and the Andaman sea

- Fantastic staff; hello Arif!
- Xmas Tree lighting ceremony – fab evening with free cocktails, wine and canapés
- Not many restaurants outside, but Pappa Rich was good.

Cons (not really):
- I’m used to towels been put on the sunbed in 5 star resort.
- No HAPPY HOUR… well… we have 4 hours at Danna’s; two by the pool and two in the lovely bar!

Dear KariiinaYork_UK,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I am very pleased with your overall satisfaction with your stay here. I thank you for your kind words with our relaxing atmosphere and private beach. It was very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am happy to know that we managed to meet your dining expectations. It also comforts me to hear that you have enjoyed our newly rejuvenated rooms and thank you for highlighting our friendly associates. On another note, I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have experienced to our attention as this will only assist in improving towards service excellence. It was a great pleasure to have you here with us, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I really like tripadvisor,i do.And i think it's tume for me to give back and write a review.I hope this helpful.
Ive been to so many places before.Hard rock in bali,andaman hotel langkawi and westin langkawi is the most recent.
And i have to say that westin langkawi is the best one in Island resorts category.

Best things about it:
1.the infinity pool.My kids love it.The bar nearby is really great for adult to hangout.the staffs there are helpful.AMAZING view straight to the sea❤️.the water not too cold.Slight problem,it kinda dirty on the surface (hair,tissues,sand).Need often cleanup throughout the day.
2.The beach.It is nearby,got place to lay around.The view was spectacular and u just need LITTLE walk to arrive to the private beach.Unlike hard rock bali,where u have to across STREET to arrive.the beach wasnt crowded.But it is not suitable to play as the sea wasnt so clear and the sands are full of sharp coral.But definitely perfect for strolling.
3.Buffet breakfast.Uhmazing.i have to forget my diet because it was temptatious.The omelette station,my kids just love it.Oh yeah,staffs are amazing.Plus,the season restaurant only take literally 30 steps from my room.The only problem was,kinda pricey for normal non breakfast food.But acceptable.
4.I dont go to the gym and spa,so no comment.
5.The location is near perfection.Really close to jetty which is great because we can eat there(much cheaper) and the jetty has starbucks,mc donalds,etc.U can take a romantic walk to got to jetty too.U also can ride a bike to go there for rm15 an hour.The hotel quite near to the city and malls.awesome.unlike Andaman the other day.The only problem is TOO far from airport.Abt 30mins.But that's acceptable.
6.The staffs are ready to help you with anything.The are tour desk to help plan your activities which have been helpful.

My problems are:
-for room that RM1k+ per night,i expect a bigger room.kinda shocked to see the room isnt that big.But,so clean and extra sheets already installed.My kids were kinda dissap. When there is no bathtub installed.Kids huh?But the facilities in the room are great.
-ive checked in for 2 rooms.We got the first room right away as the 2nd room wasnt ready.But somehow,the 2nd room available at 6pm which is too late.

Btw,i stayed the for 4nights.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank AnnaHoult
Dear AnnaHoult,

Thank you very much for the detailed review. It is very kind of you to highlight our unique infinity pool and Splash pool bar. No doubt that our infinity pool offers magnificent views of the Andaman Sea and I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. I am concerned about the issues regarding our pool cleanliness and I have immediately spoken with my team to take corrective action. As for the beach, unfortunately we were not blessed with the best beach on the island and although we endeavor to keep it clean, we consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides. I am happy to know that our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast was up to your standards. It is great to know that you find our location conveniently. Thank you also for your generous remark regarding our friendly and attentive associate. For your information, we do have rooms with showers and bathtubs and I very much regret that our associate did not offer that to you. Moreover these rooms are as well mentioned in our website. I acknowledge your comments regarding room not ready on time and I have addressed this inconsistency with our front office team for further improvement. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2013

To be honest, I usually read tripadvisor's reviews about the hotels that I would like to book for but never contribute any review. This time, i feel that there is a need to since i really had a superb fantastic stay at Westin langkawi.
The view was great, the staff were polite, the rooms were spacious and clean! Most importantly, the breakfast buffet spread was excellent. Stayed for 2 nights and check in to The Andaman for the next 2 days thinking The Andaman might be even better but was disappointed.
Westin is much better in term of location and hospitality. If you prefer to explore Langkawi, stay at Westin. If you prefer a nice resort style isolated hotel, go for The Andaman.

Room Tip: I was given a standard room which i thought was more than what I have expected. Superb stay!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear ystan19122013,

Thank you very much for giving us such generous feedback. I have to agree on the beauty of the resort and glad to know you have enjoyed the atmosphere here. I would like to thank you for your generous remark regarding our friendly associate. Thank you also for recognizing our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This Review is written 6 nights in to a 7-night stay at the Westin Resort and Spa Langkawi prior to moving on to the Danna hotel for the second part of our stay on the beautiful island of Langkawi.

We arrived at the reception desk at around 11pm very weary after approximately 1.5 days traveling including a delay of 3 hours at KL due to bad weather and minus one suitcase that hadn’t arrived so we were not in the best of spirits. Arriving at the hotel the same time as a party of around 20 new guests who were here for a 2-day conference compounded this. However we were pleasantly surprised as check-in was completed in around 20 minutes and we were provided with a refreshing drink and a face towel to cool ourselves down.

Our mood was offset somewhat by being offered an upgrade to a partial ocean view room which had been recently refurbished (Room 1316), a complimentary 1 night buffet evening meal and a free drink each – it was our 10 year anniversary trip. We were shown to the room by a helpful member of staff who explained everything to us fully about the hotel facilities and the room.

The next day after an amazing breakfast with everything you could wish for and more (particularly the Chicken Rendang, Noodles and Rotis') I headed for reception to try and resolve the luggage situation, as it had still not arrived. The staff were incredibly helpful and contacted the relevant authority but there was no new information but they would continue to try – they certainly seemed to be familiar with what to do in such circumstances. Unfortunately we had not done the sensible thing and spilt the clothes between two suitcases so regrettably I only had the clothes I’d arrived in which was not ideal given the humidity and the heat of the Langkawi sun, but again the reception staff were so helpful and gave me a shirt from the shop to wear by the pool.

So after about 16 hours I went to the Reception desk who informed me that my luggage had arrived and was waiting for me in our room. So luggage unpacked I set about enjoying the hotel and its facilities the pros and cons of which are outlined below:

Pros

• Excellent refurbished room with spectacular view of both the pool areas and the Andaman sea
• Incredibly helpful and friendly staff (particularly Arif in the Seasonal Tastes restaurant) although I agree with some other reviews that for a 5 star hotel perhaps there could be a more proactive approach around the pool e.g. putting towels on sunbeds
• Amazing choice at breakfast – not had Rotis' like this since the Sutera Harbour in Borneo
• Plenty of sunbeds even when hotel is reasonably full
• Xmas Tree lighting ceremony (last night) – excellent event with free cocktails, wine and canapés – we enjoyed
• Prices reasonable for a five star hotel £5.25 for a pint of Tiger / £5.75 for cocktails

Cons

• Gym equipment could be more modern as some is now quite dated
• Seasonal Tastes restaurant – we had 2 evening buffets and on the first occasion the choice was not great and quality of meat not to my liking e.g. chicken was not breast, but better the next time which was an Indian theme
• Conference taking place during our stay meant some facilities were unavailable and on occasion the pool area was more noisy than it otherwise would have been
• Carpets between rooms have seen better days

The hotel is near Kuah Town but there is not a lot to see or to buy but actually there is a reasonable restaurant near one of the shopping malls (Papariccis) if you fancy authentic Malaysian food and is only about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

In summary we thoroughly enjoyed this hotel and its facilities and would I come here again? Yes probably but there are so many beautiful parts of the world to see and to date the only hotel we have returned to is the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi. We will see what the Danna has to bring ………..

2 Thank deanokarina
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear deanokarina,

Thank you very much for you kind review. I am glad to know that you are comfortable with our check in process. Thanks for highlighting our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and it is very important to me that guests enjoy great breakfast experiences. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our newly rejuvenated rooms too. Moreover, I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. I am grateful for your comments and feedback but I also appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have encountered to our attention as this will only assist us in improving towards service excellence. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.