“5 star hotel?”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 6 May 2014

For a 5 star hotel was disappointing. service was terrible! The Reinald receptionist (I think that was the name) was the only one who served us well. The hotel is beautiful and our room too, the problem was the cleaning and your room continued dirty for all 4 days. Your maid attendant call name Hawita was terrible! Dirt floors, objects under the bed of other guests, center table and tv was always dirty. One bathrobe was dirty and horrible smell. The restaurant Seasonal Tastes where they serve breakfast was disappointing because it served the same food at the cafe all 4 days we stayed. The wet ground, the lack of smaller plates, loud music and dark place. the unwillingness of the attendants, especially the girls, always in a bad mood. They never say "Good Morning"... Hear a good day or even a simple hello or smile when you walk by the hotel is rare. On tour desk was terrible! The Indian man unprepared and answered in a bad mood with an absurd price! Look for a tour elsewhere in the city.
it seems that everyone hates working in this hotel and this is clear in customer service. Reinald the recpcionist is a rare exception.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Antonio Carlos I
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Antonio Carlos I,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience. I am disappointed to read from your review that you didn’t have a pleasant stay like it should have meant to be. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had to go through during your stay with us and being unable to render the much needed services to you during your stay here with us. Please let me convey this message to my leadership team first and consequently as well to our associates to turn this around. On the other hand, I am happy to know that one of our associates tried his level best in accommodating you. I will look into the shortfalls you have brought to my attention and carry out the necessary trainings to improve on overall service quality in the hotel. I sincerely do hope to have another chance of welcoming you back to the hotel and make up for the shortcomings experienced in your previous stay with us.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I go to Langkawi for complete relaxation -- not sight-seeing, not shopping, not cable cars and theme parks. Just relaxation. This is not quite the same as doing nothing -- it means contentedly BE-ing.

So, the hotel is VERY important, because I will probably BE there a lot.

On this occasion, I went for four days and three nights. I found the Westin to be perfect for my desire to just BE. I had loaded up my Kindle with books and I read FIVE of them in the Breeze bar, over iced lattes and meals. I was completely at peace. The hotel has a lovely ambiance, the views of the sea are beautiful, and the service is attentive and polite, without being intrusive.

But the best thing about the Breeze bar was the musical trio of three delightful and talented Indonesian women, called D'Java. They played from 8:15pm to midnight. All those old, favourite songs, but with their own interpretations. I just sat there for the whole performance, completely relaxed and content. And so, the next night, I could not wait to enjoy the performance again (different songs and routines and outfits). Each performance was a perfect way to end a day of absolute relaxation.

I really enjoyed this stay, but D'Java made it really special. I hope they are still there when I return.

The only issue is that I gained about three pounds in four days, but I can't blame the Westin for this.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Imran A

Dear Imran A,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your relaxation holidays. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed 3 nights stay here with us. Appreciate the highlighted on the beauty of the resort, spectacular Breeze restaurant and magnificent ocean view. Also I appreciate your positive comments about our in house band show performance and our friendly and helpful associates was meet your expectation. I hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The moment we stepped out of the taxi the attention and warm welcome were staggering!
Nothing is too much trouble here and it is a beautiful place

Clean and good quality everything. The breakfast was particularly great

FanTastic

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Mark M,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. Your satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. Thank you also for recognizing our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you for another rejuvenating holiday.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

There were 32 of us in our group, kids included. The bartender at the pool bar was exceptionally rude to our kids. When they had gone up to him to order drinks, he told them to GO AWAY! When my husband walked up to him, he immediately got his colleague to prepare the mentioned drinks.

The seafood at the Tide restaurant was not at all fresh. The manager was not experienced enough to handle our large group nor was he polite.

Having said this, the housekeeping staff were exceptionally friendly and always wore a smile.

For the price we paid, we were very disappointed with the quality of service rendered by Westin and its staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank VGT1

Dear VGT1,

Thank you very much for your feedback I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of our team, same as I did personally when I met you in the resort. It goes without saying that we had reviewed your comments with the teams involved to avoid similar occurrences in the future. We truly appreciate your kind compliments in regards to our housekeeping associates. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We love this hotel. The beach was average though wasn't fantastic. Everything else was excellent, friendly staff, good food... We ordered room service, food were very good. Might return in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ragdoll777

Dear Ragdoll777,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed your holiday and might return back in the near future. Thank you as well for your generous remark regarding our excellent services, friendly staff and good food. On the other note, our beach is not as good as the beach in the North of Langkawi, as we were unfortunately not blessed with the best on the island, but we can make this up with 3 different pools, a Spa pool and various private pools for Villa guests. We look forward to welcoming you for another rejuvenating holiday.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The resort itself is very nice, very big and in a quiet area.

My partner and I stayed in a partial view room, which for us was a lot better than expected, a very nice view out to the jetty. The bathroom was probably not as nice as it could be but the room overall was good. One of my main reasons for selecting the hotel was knowing that we didn't want to be sleeping on your typical hard Asian bed and we weren't let down with the Westin bed being fantastic.

The breakfast buffet was pretty good and we made it our biggest meal of the day to get us through until dinner. Loved the breakfast bellini.

We ate at the hotel twice for dinner- the Brazilian and the seafood buffets. Both were disappointing.

The pool during the day is very nice, we didn't have any problems swimming up to the bar to get a drink- though they are typically hotel expensive. We went down to the beach once but the water was almost as hot as it was outside so preferred to stay at the pool.

Its about a 30min taxi to Chenang beach but only about $10AUD by taxi.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank THESHONKOFTONK

Dear THESHONKOFTONK,

Thank you very much for taking your time in sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your positive highlighting about our resort, recognizing our signature Heavenly Bed and SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. I am also concerned to note that the quality of food did not meet your expectations during your dinner. I will discuss with my culinary team in how we can make a better experience for our guests. I hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My partner and I stayed for 5 days, amazingly beautiful hotel on its own property which is quite large. Had an ocean view room (highly recommended for the extra price, but I would make sure it's on the upper level as the lower level would be slightly blocked by the gardens). Very good buffet breakfast (I've been to quite a few), and the service was exceptional. Their 'Heavenly' bedding was also amazing, but try to make sure you get an actual King instead of two queens squashed together, biggest bed in the world but can def feel the lump in the middle. Because of a health incident with my partner we had to stay an unexpected extra night, they looked after us superbly, gave us a free upgrade (which included breakfast) and offered to open the buffet breakfast early for us so we could leave at 7am (normal breakfast start time).
The only negative like a few other comments on here is the time to get a drink from the pool bar, when very busy expect 30-40min wait or just avoid it completely. Tip: Massages are very expensive at the resort, check tripadvisor for reviews, all the good ones will offer free pickup from the hotel, in the tourist brochure we got from the airport an ad specifically mentioned the distance from the Westin hotel itself (they must get a lot of business from them!)

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floor if choosing 'Ocean View' or 'Partial Ocean View' L...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank xrbrett

Dear xrbrett,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa and you have enjoyed 5 days stay here with us. I appreciate your positive feedback about our comfortable newly rejuvenated room especially our signature Heavenly Bed, which definitely provides undisturbed sleep for a great night and even a better tomorrow. Thank you very much for recognizing our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have encountered to our attention in regards to the service from Splash poolside bar for further improvement. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again.