“Beautiful rooms, great view from the pool”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful rooms, great view from the pool”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel grounds are beautiful and the area for the spa is very tranquil, pool was great, food was good, the service wasn't that great, rooms were nice, we had a balcony with a view to a small beach, the tennis courts were ok, its a very beautiful looking hotel but there wasn't any real feeling to it, I wouldn't stay again because the service would take away from my relaxation. The room keys stopped working on a daily basis and our room was a good 10 mins walk to the reception area. Also I put down towels only 10 mins later for my lounger and towel to be gone.

Room Tip: Some rooms looked onto the pool, we had a room to the right hand side that looked onto a small beach...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear fifi19762013,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Appreciate your positive comments about beautiful hotel, dining experience and unique pools, we can say that the spa pool which sits next to the spa sanctuary allows you to enjoy some precious moment of serenity. We have taken note on your comments of the poor services rendered by our staffs, and a retraining is on the way to avoid similar occurrences in the future. Despite the challenges you experienced, we would take pleasure in welcoming you back for another occasion so that you could experience the resort as it is meant to be.

MS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

There is so much to say about this hotel :) We stayed there for two weeks with our 2 kids (aged 2 months and 7 years).

As we arrived, everything was handled quite fast so the start was good! As we got our room, it was exactly as described and as we had expected. It was modern, comfortable and functional, with gorgeous view to the ocean. The room was cleaned every day, always refilled with complimentary mineral water.

Breakfast was very rich, there was something for everyone. As for the a la carte restaurants in the hotel, it was rather expensive in my opinion. Perhaps I still hope it's cheaper in Asia as it is in Europe but the prices have leveled up pretty much. But the food and the drinks were really good!

The one thing I did not like was the sea. Not the beach itself (which was very clean and white) but the water itself. The bottom (don't know the correct word in english) was soft and muddy and the water was not transparent. That is enaugh for me not to go in :))) Yet my son swam and was pretty happy ;)
For the white beaches there are some luxury hotels on the other side of the island (Sofitel etc).

There is KFC, Starbucks, Baskin&Robbins in 10 min walking distance, also local harbour where there are connection ferries to many islands.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Pille-Riin,

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for this special occasion. We delighted to know that you and your family have enjoyed 2 weeks stay here with us. We truly appreciate your kind compliments about our lovely hotel and newly rejuvenated rooms. We would say that the views from ocean view rooms make for an extra special stay. Waking up to the magnificent sounds of the waves and the breath taking scenic view is to die for. Thank you also for recognizing our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and rest assured that we take your comment for the a la carte price and will review them with our team. We truly sorry that we have let you down with regards to the beach, our beach is not as good as the beach in the North of Langkawi, as we were unfortunately not blessed with the best on the island. We hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

we stayed here 5 nights and it was so excellent , the view nice, friendly staff,food was so delicious, very quiet and relaxation, The public spaces are beautifully decorated and the view overlooking the sea is gorgeous.

anyway good experience for me to stay in westin Langkawi.

Room Tip: Ocean View and Partial Ocean View rooms is the best rooms to stay and try to stay at higher floors b...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mohamed E
Dear Mohamed E,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We appreciate your encouraging remarks about our beautiful hotel, magnificent ocean view, friendly and helpful associates also your overall satisfaction with the dining options here. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

The resort is magnificent and gorgeous. The staff on the other hand have no clue to interact with guests, do not offer any assistance in terms of tours, escorting you to your room and so on. There is no warmth in their attitude. They really need to train extensively in hospitality.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Athina R
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Athina R,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We would like to thank you for highlighting our beautiful and magnificent resort. We have taken note on your comments of the poor services rendered by our staffs and a revamp of our service culture is currently done to avoid similar occurrences in the future. We are confident that upon your next visit the experience would be quite different and the way it is meant to be. Please apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 7 May 2014

So we flew into tranquil Langkawi for a cousins wedding and were all excited for this big family reunion, partying and obviously to have a chilled out time. In fact we were endeared to the locals as soon as we got into our car, and the guide who was very polite, gave us a good history about the island. However the next few days what we were going to experience was going to be torture:
So the hotel is filled with flies! Ok I understand Malaysia does face this problem, but expect the Westin from preventing hoards of flies rubbing their bottoms on our food.
So after my first night, my stomach was upset (high probability due to the flies that were relaxing on the fish being served), and I decided to stay indoors and not attend the wedding cocktail party. My oh my what a mistake.
So I was sleeping in my room, and I made sure all the windows were obviously shut. It was pouring (Yes, trust me, I know this sounds like an outset of a horror story, but it's true) and I hear loud thuds against my balcony window. I'm a pretty light sleeper, so I woke up to see what the issue was. Believe me, when I say this, but there were like a million moths banging against my window. I was wondering why the hell were they getting so excited in the middle of the night. I realized that some naughty ones even managed to creep in through a small hole and were crawling and some flying towards the bathroom. (I usually keep the bathroom or a small light on when I sleep).
Boy I was wrong about the estimate of moths. I opened the bathroom door, and literally a million more moths came out and attacked the living daylights out of me. I made the childish error of quickly turning on the lights and putting it back off but that just attracted more moths into my room.
I did the usual things. Gave a panic call to the Concierge (who weren't answering) and then on my third try got lucky and got through to them. They took 25 minutes to send a person to 'assess' the situation, another 25 minutes to send a sweeper and another hour for me to meet the manager! We were staying in one of the suites and since all other suites were occupied by the wedding entourage, we were moved into a normal room (no qualms about that). But the fact that I was very unwell,and had to change my room after 4 hours after the actual incident added to my grumpiness. The manager did not even apologize for the delay in her responsiveness to the nightmarish experience. We realized in fact the moth infestation happened in at least 5 more rooms. I've attached a picture my sister took of the moth infestation that she uploaded on instagram. That morning, when we came to take our stuff back, I was in two minds whether to take my sneakers back as they were filled by dead/sleeping moths...
Looking forward to that morning, we were given an absolute horrendous housekeeping woman who was very rude, and rolled her eyes, when we asked her to change the bedsheets.
Additionally I was shocked that a 5 star hotel like Westin didn't even have ordinary shoe polish for guests.
Apart from the poor food, unsafe rooms, rude and unapologetic staff the hotel is ok. It actually has a sprawling area, with some good pools and fantastic views. The beach is a bit dead and can do better with some liveliness, and my only wish as a traveler is that a hotel of the Westin's stature be maintained better! Hope nobody goes through the same experience as I did, and try avoiding moth season aka monsoons.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Anish90
Dear Anish90,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are certainly disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been. We do remember these moments and we remember as well that these days have been some breeding periods in Langkawi. With the lights on at the balcony this attracted the moth and even though the hotel is treating the resort regularly with fogging and spraying it was a remarkable number of moths. Please rest assured that we have discussed this with the approved third party company in Langkawi to limit insects, moskitos, sand flies and moth to a minimum and precautions have been developed to avoid reoccurrences and quicker reactions. Moreover we discussed as well the service delivered to you and retrainings are on the way to ensure a total customer satisfaction. Please accept our sincere apologize for the inappropriate service delivered to you. While we understand that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, we hope that you might give us another chance to prove to you that the hotel is not only committed to but in fact can as well deliver outstanding service to their guests. On another note, we truly appreciate your kind compliments about beautiful location and our unique pools. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have experienced. We will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

For a 5 star hotel was disappointing. service was terrible! The Reinald receptionist (I think that was the name) was the only one who served us well. The hotel is beautiful and our room too, the problem was the cleaning and your room continued dirty for all 4 days. Your maid attendant call name Hawita was terrible! Dirt floors, objects under the bed of other guests, center table and tv was always dirty. One bathrobe was dirty and horrible smell. The restaurant Seasonal Tastes where they serve breakfast was disappointing because it served the same food at the cafe all 4 days we stayed. The wet ground, the lack of smaller plates, loud music and dark place. the unwillingness of the attendants, especially the girls, always in a bad mood. They never say "Good Morning"... Hear a good day or even a simple hello or smile when you walk by the hotel is rare. On tour desk was terrible! The Indian man unprepared and answered in a bad mood with an absurd price! Look for a tour elsewhere in the city.
it seems that everyone hates working in this hotel and this is clear in customer service. Reinald the recpcionist is a rare exception.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Antonio Carlos I
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Antonio Carlos I,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience. I am disappointed to read from your review that you didn’t have a pleasant stay like it should have meant to be. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had to go through during your stay with us and being unable to render the much needed services to you during your stay here with us. Please let me convey this message to my leadership team first and consequently as well to our associates to turn this around. On the other hand, I am happy to know that one of our associates tried his level best in accommodating you. I will look into the shortfalls you have brought to my attention and carry out the necessary trainings to improve on overall service quality in the hotel. I sincerely do hope to have another chance of welcoming you back to the hotel and make up for the shortcomings experienced in your previous stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I go to Langkawi for complete relaxation -- not sight-seeing, not shopping, not cable cars and theme parks. Just relaxation. This is not quite the same as doing nothing -- it means contentedly BE-ing.

So, the hotel is VERY important, because I will probably BE there a lot.

On this occasion, I went for four days and three nights. I found the Westin to be perfect for my desire to just BE. I had loaded up my Kindle with books and I read FIVE of them in the Breeze bar, over iced lattes and meals. I was completely at peace. The hotel has a lovely ambiance, the views of the sea are beautiful, and the service is attentive and polite, without being intrusive.

But the best thing about the Breeze bar was the musical trio of three delightful and talented Indonesian women, called D'Java. They played from 8:15pm to midnight. All those old, favourite songs, but with their own interpretations. I just sat there for the whole performance, completely relaxed and content. And so, the next night, I could not wait to enjoy the performance again (different songs and routines and outfits). Each performance was a perfect way to end a day of absolute relaxation.

I really enjoyed this stay, but D'Java made it really special. I hope they are still there when I return.

The only issue is that I gained about three pounds in four days, but I can't blame the Westin for this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Imran A
Dear Imran A,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your relaxation holidays. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed 3 nights stay here with us. Appreciate the highlighted on the beauty of the resort, spectacular Breeze restaurant and magnificent ocean view. Also I appreciate your positive comments about our in house band show performance and our friendly and helpful associates was meet your expectation. I hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.