“very dated”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #75 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This was our first time in Lankawi and we stayed at Sheraton Langkawi resort, first I would like to say that the staff were all lovley, however the hotel is in a state of disrepair and we were quite shocked at the state of the hotel,chimes bar was a disgrace, the chairs were so old and dirty you did not want to sit in them at all, the first room we had a garden Chalet was in bad disrepair and nothing worked, on top of this the carpet mat was filthy, the bathroom bench also terrible, peeling and stained, we did move to a marginally better room and they were begining to do these rooms up, but I would have to say that the hotel is only 3 star at best and definatley not worthy of the Seraton name

Room Tip: definatley not the garden Chalets, ask for a room in the blocks that are being renovated
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank judy5757

Dear judy5757,

Thank you for the time taken to provide us with this review.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment on the upkeep of our room and furniture at Chime during your stay. Please accept my apologies on this shortfall and for the inconvenience encountered. Rest assured, my team has taken necessary action to improve particularly on areas of concern for guest’s comfort as well as safety. We are currently giving our Superior rooms a refreshing look. Once completed, I trust this will further enhances our guest’s experience.

The greatest asset of this hotel is the associates and most of the time they are the savior when comes to guest satisfaction. It is nice to know that you had pleasant encounter with them.

Once again, I regret for the disappointment and thank you for your valuable feedback

Warm regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

The property is beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are wooden cabins. They are big and tastefully furnished. The balcony is a perfect sit out for a romantic evening. The pool is big and has a pool bar. Only minus is that there is no proper beach inside the property. There are two very small beaches accessible only during the low tide.The staff is helpful and warm. They have good breakfast spread. All in all, enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Bhingri,

Many thanks for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

It is nice to know when guests’ expectations are met and they leave with good impression of the Resort.

I appreciate your highlight on our room comfort and buffet breakfast spread at Feast that you enjoyed.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We are currently staying at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. This is our 4th visit here in the last 5 years, we were planning on bringing our family back here again next year, but are not sure yet, now that we have seen the downturn at the resort, whether we will do that.

Since we were here at the same time last year, there seems to have been a huge change, not for the better, in the maintenance of the resort, the beaches used to be raked everyday, the paths swept, the gardens were always immaculate (in a tropical setting that isn't always easy!) however there seems to have been some massive staff cuts (when you consider the prices travellers who stay here pay compared to the wages of the locals, it doesn't make sense), which is letting the resort fall into some sort of disrepair. Yes, there are some renovations going on, but the day to day things that used to happen don't seem to be anymore, like the grounds being tended to or rubbish being picked up so the place looked clean and loved, unfortunately that is what people see first when they come to the resort.

The staff that are left are friendly and attentive, but it's the staff that don't have day to day connections with visitors that seem to be missed.

We (the Pierrehumbert family) are still here for another week, I sincerely hope that by me saying something improves this resort not just for us now, but for other visitors,  the staff and us in the future, long term. We consider this resort our home in Langkawi and have been very happy here in the past, it would be such a shame to be made to find another place to call home.  Come on Sheraton, don't make the Beach Resort the poor cousin of the resorts you own on Langkawi, give it some attention too.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Sally P

Dear Sally W,

Many thanks for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort as your second home.

It is with regret to hear that your recent return stay at our Resort did not provide you with the same experience as previously, in that you found the maintenance of the property below standard especially on the upkeep of our hotel grounds and lack of connection from the associates.

Trust our Duty Manager, Ms. Indy has met up with you during your stay to check on your comfort. I am happy to know from the feedback received that you enjoyed our hospitality. Rest assured, your concerns have been looked into and necessary actions have been taken to improve for our guests’ comfort.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We simply loved our stay at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in May 2009. We were greeted with a welcome mocktail. Then a wait at the deck in front of the hotel which we did not mind as we were not in a hurry to go anywhere. The first day we slept all through so soundly from 5 pm that we woke up only the following noon. Hahaha! I remember my newly wed husband called the front desk to find out what time it was and whether we missed our breakfast as our watches were not in sync with Malaysian time only to find out we had slept more than we ever did since we were babies. Was an amazing feeling! So sleep is guaranteed. But what's best is that the room is so cosy and had a jacuzzi as well. The view was perfect as well. We stayed either in room 234 or 235 (can't remember) and there was a nice walk to the hotel reception from our cottage. Green, green, green places with lovely birds and flowers. The resort has a live band that plays in their restaurant as well almost every night. Clean and amazing stay. We stayed there for 3 nights. Not too far from the airport either. Overall Langkawi is a nice and cosy island that you can view in a day but we definitely took out time to enjoy the same!

Room Tip: we took room 234 or 235 can't remember now
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear GGina58,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

It is nice to hear when our guests enjoy their stay especially when they are honeymoon.

Trust the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed has somehow contributed to your quality sleep.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your special occasion and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

I went to this terrible place last year,
First, I booked a king size bedroom, when I arrived they gave me a double room with 2 beds, after long fights with the reception the agreed to move me to a king size bed in the "next day" !!!
The room had a built in Jacuzzi.
When I tried to open the water in it I got a giant Cockroach out of the sink !!! this was terrible, I called for the room service and made a lot of noise, they came and kill the insect.
Then I felt safe so I opened the water in the Jacuzzi again, just to get 2 more giant Cockroaches out of the sink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't believe that this is a Sheraton resort, it is terrible, my wife got scared and wanted us to leave the place immediately, I paid a lot of money for this place, it is simply unacceptable to face this situation.

At the end I closed the sink completely using a rubber and some tools.
I would never go back to this hotel, and would never recommend it for anyone, it is also far from the cable car and the market.
In fact, after my experience in this hotel, I will think twice before I book in a Sheraton hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tameem B

Dear Tameem B,

Thank you for posting this review.

It is with regret to hear of your disappointment on your last experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort.

I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience that you had encountered with the upkeep of our room. Rest assured, our Room Attendants have been briefed to conduct thorough checks during their cleaning process and pest control exercise has been carried out regularly in our guestroom for improvement.

Meanwhile, I have also taken your comment on board that we could do better in regards to our room assignment and can assure our Front Office Manager has been informed accordingly.

Many thanks for your valuable feedback and once again, I apologize for the inconvenience encountered.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My colleague and I just checked out of the hotel. The Bathroom was dirty, didn't have hot water and dark. There were 2 rusty nails sticking out from the wall where the amenity tray was broken. Bulbs were not replaced. Kettle was dirty and rusty. Guest telephone directory was empty but left in the drawer. There was a rollaway bed that was outside the villa from begining to the end of our stay. So Dusty that my sinus became really bad. Receptionist was not interested to hear us when we wanted to give our feedback. We decided to move to another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Chrah

Dear Chrah,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that our room cleanliness and condition did not lift up to your expectation.

Please provide me with details of your booking to my email kumar.renoo@sheraton.com so that I can look into the issues personally.

Meanwhile, I can assure your comments have been shared with my team and necessary actions are taken to upkeep our facilities for our guests’ comfort.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Originally booked for 4 nights at the Sheraton Langkawi (20-24 June 2012) but checked out after two nights.
Since we were able to secure a good rate, we went ahead assuming that being a Sheraton property, there would be no big issues without checking tripadvisor… how wrong we were!

RECEPTION/GREETING:
- The entrance can be quite chaotic because there are both public taxis and a sort of shuttle bus service to the villas.
- The flow of luggage and guests was hectic throughout the morning, sometimes you had the feeling of being herded around like cattle. There’s a lot of shouting and frantic waving that is quite disconcerting.
- The bell boys were clearly understaffed.

RECEPTION / CHECK IN / CHECK OUT:
- At the time, half the lobby area was cordoned off for repairs
- There was only one person available for check in/check out and you had the distinct feeling that the other staff were looking at the computer, desperately trying to avoid eye contact
- We wanted to lodge a complaint with the manager on duty but was dismissed

TRANSPORTATION WITHIN THE RESORT:
- See aforementioned meat market at the reception.
- The driver obviously knew the routes around the property well and probably always had a number of guests to pick up … meaning he rushed around quite a bit.
- Honking when necessary (and at all hours!) to get people out of the way.
- I called for a pick up three times and waited 10-15 minutes before starting at a junction hoping to stop one that was on the way.
- There just weren’t enough shuttles for the number of guests

THE GENERAL SURROUNDINGS/COMPOUND
- Generally, there is very little signage around the compound which makes it difficult to walk around (especially when you give up on waiting for the bus
- The beaches are small and rocky but unfortunately very neglected – there was trash everywhere. One morning we did notice someone cleaning things up, but they swept everything under the walkway
- There are some villas that are very run down, they have clearly been closed for renovation/repairs but look more like they have been abandoned (broken furniture, broken stair cases etc…)
- While we were there, some pruning was underway. This loud noise started around 8am. Additionally, it’s quite funny to see that some of the shrubs had branches that were longer than one meter being trimmed – obviously neglected for a long time!

THE ROOM
Below are comments for the two rooms we booked (1429 and 1432):
- General feeling that everything was very dirty and dusty
- Tried closing the wooden shutters at the bathtub and the ledge was covered in dust
- One of the holders in the shower was missing with two rusty nails exposed.
- There was no hot water
- There were problems with the aircon which failed to cool the room – had to turn the ceiling fan on but it was very noisy
- The toilet has a bidet function which had rusted and there was a long stain inside the bowl.
- On the second day, housekeeping had left a trail of tissue paper which had pasted itself along the inside of the bowl; additionally there was a soiled towel left in the bath tub, which also meant I noticed the many stains in the tub
- Linens felt a bit itchy and you didn’t feel like the room was clean
- On two occasions the key card did not work
- The outdoor bins/storage for our ‘villa’ was not securely closed and monkeys were going through the trash
- Internet is NOT included and the rates are for ONE device only.

THE F&B OUTLETS
- We had breakfast and one dinner at FEAST and one dinner at the SPICE TRADER
- There were ants crawling around the outdoor tables and chairs
- There was a buffet and live kitchen for dinner at FEAST but the ventilation was extremely poor. It was a bit difficult to breathe and our clothes stank when we left. It definitely spoilt the mood.
- The public washroom at FEAST had these huge pump bottles of soap that looked like industrial cleaner

I would not recommend this hotel. I think it’s a real embarrassment to the Sheraton name

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Angehk218
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear Angehk218,

Thank you for the time taken to post this review.

It is sad to know when guests’ expectation are not met and they leave unhappy. The unpleasant arrival experience and inconvenience you encountered during your stay is very much regretted.

I have taken on board your comment that we could manage better in regards to the movement within the hotel entrance and lobby for better guest experience.

Guest’s comfort is our priority and I can assure my team provides the necessary assistance to ensure they had a comfortable stay. We do received many compliments from our previous guests on the friendliness and helpfulness of our associates during their stay. I am sorry if you had experienced otherwise.

Many thanks for bringing up to my attention on issues related to our shuttle bus. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered with the delay in pick up. Rest assured, we have sufficient units running to cater for our guests’ needs. Meanwhile, we have also raised your concern on safety with our drivers to ensure they drive appropriately and give due respect to guest privacy.

Guest can tour around the Resort to explore more and I appreciate your suggestion to have more signage put up to guide our guests accordingly.

I appreciate your comment on the condition of our rooms and general cleanliness of our resort’s surroundings. Please rest assure your concern has been looked into and necessary action has been taken to upkeep our facilities for our guests’ comfort as well s safety.

The inefficiency of ventilation system at the barbecue station has been looked into by our maintenance team. I am sorry for the uncomfortable dining experience that you have encountered at Feast.

Once again, I regret for the inconveniences and thank you for your valuable feedback.