“Hotel standard is disappointing”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #76 of 108 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My family was utterly disappointed with Sheraton standard and not value for money at all. Everything in the room are very run down and with stains all over. If you left any food out on the balcony, food will be snatch by wild monkeys. But, their shuttle service for pick up are prompt and their staff are very helpful. We would like to thank Mr Kumar for arranging a good car rental to us.

The location is not close to the popular beach area. Food and beverage range for breakfast is limited, not worth for the price they charged. Hope they can improve in this area too.

Room Tip: We requested connecting rooms but was told that rooms will be located further away and gave us a doo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear katrinachong,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We appreciate your positive comments as well as highlights on areas for our future improvements.

Whilst you seems happy with our warm hospitality, I have noted your disappointment in regards to the hotel standards. I am sorry to hear that the accommodation provided for you was less than satisfactory. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused on this occasion.

The buffet breakfast menu has been designed thoughtfully taking guest needs in consideration. Our Chef has been made aware of this as to share with the team.

Normally, our Front Desk Associates would try as much as possible to accommodate our guest’s request (i.e. room assignment), however at times it is a challenge for us especially when room availability is very limited.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable comments, as it enables us to continue monitor and make improvements for better guest experience.

Warm regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Long review below, summary : room condition wasn't up to a 5 star quality. (We paid Rm600 for a night for a dirty room). Reception service needs improvement and be more proactive; breakfast waitress are slow ( forgiven as they are intern)

Me and my bf came to Langkawi for holiday; as a member of starwoods group, We have chosen sheraton langkawi for our 4 days 3 nights stay.
Upon checked in, We arrived around 1:30p.m, it was early but we decided to drop by the hotel and checked whether the room is ready before we head to lunch ( we were starving and tired after the traveling). We were asked to have a seat while the receptionist will check on the room status. So we thought give it a wait. After 45 minutes, we were restless so we check with the counter again on our room availability. The receptionist told us our room was ready and hand us the key. It wasn't busy at that moment, and we were just sitting there at the lobby. Why can't she called out our name and inform us ?

When we reached our room, thinking to have a quick shower before getting our lunch. We were stunned to see the condition esp the toilet: dusty around the bath tub, yellow stain on the tub. Drilling holes on the wall ( suppose to be a shelf to place our toiletries, hence we have to place the shampoo , bath gel etc on the floor). Besides dirty toilet: The bench of the balcony was dusty; only one glass available; and no mineral water provided. We understand these are small issues as we can request for it but this shows that the housekeeping department hasn't completed their job. If the room was not fully ready for the guest, we appreciate if the reception counter tell us the truth.

Another point to add: prior to our stay, we received an email saying that our room is a smoking room as the non-smoking one is fully booked due to the peak season. So upon checked in, we told the staff hoping she can try her best to get a non-smoking room for us. The answer was " all our rooms are non smoking". Surprised by her reply, we didn't go on and tell her about the email we received. BUT what we found in our room? An ASH TRAY! So we were confused whether our room is meant for non smoking or smoking.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Huewie
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Huewie,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for your experience and the inconvenience caused. The shortfall in our service delivery and room maintenance that you encountered during your stay is very much regretted. Please be assured that team member concern has been made aware, as to ensure they consistently provides the expected service and standards for guest satisfaction.

We do proud ourselves for being able to accommodate our guest’s needs, however, I am sorry to note that you were not impressed with our check in process and the way how our Front Desk associates responded to your needs. Normally any request for non smoking room, our Front Desk will arrange the assigned room to be given a refresh by our Room Attendant before guest checks in. I sincerely apologize for your experience and the inconvenience caused.

We value your comments, as it enables us to continue monitor and make improvements for better guest experience.

Once again, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

As someone who doesn't normally write reviews of hotels yet travels a lot I felt the poor standard of this hotel was something to warm others off before you consider booking.

On arrival we were told our room wasn't ready, we were not given an estimated time we could expect a room nor offered welcome drinks as we have been at other resorts on Langkawi island. However, we thought we'd give the service the benefit of the doubt.

On arriving at our room we were shocked to find that the room was dirty. There was layers of dust on some areas that clearly have not been cleaned in months. The bathroom was grimy and there was mould around much of the fittings. Around the fridge (which barely works) there was food stains and yet more dirt. Around the bottom of the bed the white linen was stained grey.

The general lack,of care for the rooms is not what we expected for a 5 star hotel. It is 2 stars at best. In fact, I have stayed in backpacker resorts that are cleaner.

Very disappointed. I am glad we only stayed 3 days. Don't be fooled by the photographs. This place is in need of overhaul and a lot of TLC.

Stayed December 2013.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Zena970

Dear Zena970,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
I regret to hear that your recent stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides us with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

Normally welcome drink is served upon guest arrival, I am sorry that you did not received it. Please be assured that team member concern has been made aware as to ensure we consistently provides the expected service. I apologize for this.

Thank you for your comments about the cleanliness issues you encountered in your guestroom – we would like to be able to correct this immediately. Please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com so I can investigate this further to avoid any disappointment in the future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Ignore what they tell you about this being 5 star, it's 3 star at best. Staff very nice but hotel extremely tired and run down. Accommodation very basic (pictures on website have clearly had Photoshop treatment or were taken 10 years ago). Air condition barely works and shower in same unit as toilet! Have stayed in better backpacker hotels, no romance here. Avoid and go to Thailand instead!

Trying to get out of the hotel and away from the 2 year olds the travel desk will tell you cash only and no ATM in the hotel. You will need to take a taxi back to the airport to draw cash as the hotel will not charge to the room or give a cash advance.

Nothing truly Asia about this part of Malaysia....

Stayed: December 2013

Dear O2Travel4Ever,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I am sorry to hear that the accommodation provided for you during your recent stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort was less impressive and you were disappointed with the service received from the Tour Desk Agent.

We appreciate your comments, as it enables us to continue monitor and make improvements for better guest experience. Please be assured that the maintenance and service issues you encountered have been shared with team member concern to ensure guests are not similarly disappointed in the future.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused on this occasion and rest assured that we strive to accommodate our guest’s needs as much as possible to ensure they had a comfortable stay.
Once again, I apologize and thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I was extremely surprised when I arrived to my room (expecting Sheraton level)... The room was amazingly old (felt like an old and creepy motel)! I wanted so much to have a nice and relaxing time at the bathtub and it was very dirty!!! The shower and the bathroom is also dirty and old. Totally not what I expected (specially considering the "Sheraton" brand and the price).
I called reception several times (to ask them to clean the bathtub) and no one answered (and the villa is really far away from reception... so I had to resign to the idea of using the tub).
I'm even actually considering going to another hotel (although my room is already paid for two more nights)... it is really creepy and not what I paid for.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paocsm
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Paocsm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I am sorry to hear that your recent stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort did not leave you with a luxury experience that other Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. I sincerely apologize for the disappointment you had expressed and inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton, as I would like to look into the issues raised personally.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Warm regards

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Trusting the Sheraton brand, we booked 2 standard rooms at the resort; however the stay did not quite live up to expectation! The resort is generally tired and in need of some TLC; however the biggest gripe is that the rooms were not as clean as they should have been. There is a distinct damp smell, one of the sheets had a clear tear and on the last day while checking nothing was left behind I discovered an inch of dust under the beds!

Hotel's policies should also be reviewed, what kind of poolside bar closes before sunset when it is essentially cocktail time?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZA_Mark

Dear ZA_Mark,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach
Resort in this review.

It is regrettable that your recent stay with us was not to your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the housekeeping issues you encountered in your room. Please be assured that our Executive Housekeeper has been made aware, as to ensure we continually provides the expected quality and standard for guest satisfaction.

We appreciate our guest’s comments, as it provides us with valuable information for our future improvement. I have taken your comments on board in regards to our Pool Bar operation hours, rest assured this has been shared with our Food & Beverage Venue Manager.

Once again, I regret for your experience and thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked 2 rooms for 5 people, through a friends company we managed to get a room upgrade which was awesome. Staff was good in recommending places that we could go to for food and alcohol. That was the highlight unfortunately.

Old musty rooms, a "beach" which isn't really a beach, and overall a pretty aged look for the hotel. Beach was tiny and not a place you would want to lounge on. Restaurants were extremely overpriced, we didn't even bother trying the food. Spa and sauna facilities were decent, however there was no one there to help us work the facilities even after calling the front desk.

For young people, hotel is good if you just want a place to sleep and head out the entire day. If not, be prepared for boredom. Lots of families and older couples so not really a place for people below 35.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kisharn t

Dear kisharn t,

Thank you very much for providing us with this review.

We appreciate your comments, as it enables us to continue monitor and provides us with valuable information that certainly be beneficial in our future development consideration.

I very much regret to hear of your experience at our Fitness Center, please be assured that team member concern has been made aware to ensure guests are not similarly disappointed in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience caused on this occasion.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.