“Not 5* hotel”

Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Melbourne, Australia
“Not 5* hotel”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

There were many dissapointments during our stay in this hotel:
- the room with a partial sea view had no sea view (we asked for another a manager and got a better one);
- noisy (they were starting to clean a gargen at 9 am and fixing the pool while we were sunbathing);
- room was outdated and needed a lot of renovation;
- food was very expensive;
- they charged me for a transportation to a hospital(twice more expensive than a taxi) after i've been badly injured by jellyfish (nobody mentioned about jellyfish to us when we went to a sea);
- we asked for a set of towels for our daughter few days in a row;
- lighting of the territory and paths are not safe;
- blocked bath;
- tobacco ash on a balcony in a non-smoking room;
- a wooden floor around pool was not safe for walking barefoot (old with nails) - small and old pool;
- the price for new year night dinner was too expensive and alcohol for extra;
- they started to clean tables after 1 am on New Year Eve night
To sum up, it's max 3 star hotel and needs a good professional management.

Room Tip: Most of the "partial sea room" have no sea view, so ask a manager to get one with a view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank vesmonk
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear vesmonk,

Thank you very much for your feedback, which we value very much. I am certain that we will improve on the points that you have highlighted.

Any inconvenience caused is very much regretted.

Again, I would like to thank you for your time and hope you will give us an opportunity to make improvements.

Warm regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The infrastructure of this hotel is reasonably impressive, a main lobby, restaurant building over looking the sea with wooden bungalow rooms spread out within a forested gardens. While the room size is large, the condition is poor. Attempted repairs have been carried out on the bath tiles which has resulted in a poor look, while the balcony wood need to be re-done thoughout the hotel.

The breakfast buffet was very poor especially for Western tastes with selection and food quality poor. Management should take study of the buffet at the other Sheraton located on the Island.

All in all we considered that standards of this hotel do not live up to the Sheraton name; we will not be back.

Room Tip: Sea view room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark William L
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Mark William L,

Many thanks for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

It is sad to hear when guest’s expectations are not met and they leave with disappointment.

Thank you very much for your comments and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Rest assured that we continually strive to improve our room condition and enhance our buffet breakfast quality for value as well as guest satisfaction.

We understand that this has tarnished your impression about us but we sincerely hope that you would give us an opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedbacks.

Yongin, South Korea
Reviewed 18 January 2014

1. Terribly Dirty

When I got into the first room (1603), there were dirt all over the room. I couldn’t unpack my suitcases because the closet and drawers were not clean. When I opened the kettle, it was filled with water mold. The bathroom was rotten. The 1st day I found some underwear covered with dust under the desk (not under the bed). I threw it out of the door, but nobody get rid of it until we left the room. While we were staying at this room I kept saying “Don’t touch that, don’t sit on there…” to my kids. The 3rd day my son dropped his toy between the bed and the wall. When I moved the bed, I found blood-like stains on the sheet, some clots of red things, and mass of dirt.

2. Horrible Rats

I complained on the blood-like stains and moved into the other room (1202). The interior was exactly the same but looked much cleaner. I felt bad because I though they gave us the worst room while they had better rooms. We kept our kids food – seaweed flake in the plastic zipper bag – in the fridge. The 5th day morning I found the zipper bag torn into pieces and the content were empty. How could I imagine sharing food with rats in a SPG category 4 hotel?

I reported the rats at 8 AM, but the hotel did nothing till 2 PM. They said their engineers were handling some urgent task.

3. Rude and Greedy

We stayed from Dec. 27 to Jan. 1. They did maintenance work around the pool from Dec 27 to Dec 30. Because of the noise and bad smell, we couldn’t take a quiet rest by the pool side. They emailed me several times to inform “Compulsory Dinner at Dec. 31”, cost $700, but never informed the construction work. On 31st they removed the beach chairs one by one and guests were surrounded by the banquet tables.

This hotel cannot be a SPG category 4 property, even cannot be a category 1.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank jsha33
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear jsha33,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

Please be informed that I have personally sent you a reply via email earlier. If you did not receive, please contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

I look forward to hear from you soon.

Again, I would like to apologize for the disappointment you had expressed.

Warm regards
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This was our second visit in 2 years here. Airport was excellent, rental car was $80RM per day for a Toyota Vios, still good value. Taxi 20RM and Van $30RM to the sheraton.
The lobby is decieving when you first arrive, looks as good as before, not the usual Sheraton greeting from the front desk and I noticed all the small fountains dissconected leading out of the foyer to the courtesy buses. The bus service still good as usual, saving your tired legs, especially at the end of the day.
The room looked its great old self, although we then started to notice things missing. No safe, we had to ask for one. No water, no shampoo, two towels for four people, light bulbs broken, kettle faulty, revolting ironing board and both beds had extremely filthy valances
The breakfast looked its old self, no real change in a week, hope you enjoy the same tropical fruit selection of watermelon, honeydew and pineapple every day!!
Hot food regulary left empty, I can say in all honesty, I never went to the buffet and found every chafing dish with food in it.
The most shocking was the state of repair the boardwalks were in around the coastline from the grill restaurant to the pool and up to the lobby. Loose boards, nails sticking up very high in places, loose barrier fencing, everything rotting and decaying, bits obviously replaced but not even bothering to protect them from the sun. Some of the glass table tops on outside of captain's grill jaggered and down right dangerous. It will only be a matter of time until there is a serious accident here. Come on Sheraton lift your game!!!!!
I can only presume there budgets have been cut for staffing and expenditure or the place might be closing down one day, otherwise there is no excuse.
I can say in all honesty, we will choose another hotel in Langkawi next time

Apart from that, most days we had to ask for water, shampoo, quite often coffee and tea. For some reason housekeeping didn't want to replenish these items, we even left the empty tissue box on the desk with wooden box lid off. Do you think that worked, off course not!!!
Breakfast looked liked its usual self, unfortunately the variety never relly changed, hope you like watermelon, honeydew or pineapple for breakfast fruit. A lot of the hot dish's were left empty on a regular bases.
We had room service quite a few times, everything good except most times the food was cold, I tried the laksa twice and gave up on it, all the soup got suked up by the noodles, more like a noodle stew to eat.
The most shocking was the state of repair of the walkways around the coastline

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Philipstravels
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Philipstravels,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in this review.

I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than satisfactory and you felt that the overall standard did not live up to your expectations.

Please feel free to reach me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com, as I would like to look into the issues raised personally.

I regret for your experience and would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Again, thank you very much for your comments and I look forward to hear from you soon.

South Korea
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel facilities are poorly maintained and its amazing that it still can run under the name of Sheraton.
The inside of the room was nice though, and the bed was really comfy.
The location is just 10 min from the airport but in the wrong direction considered that the nice Pantai Cenang beacj is about 10-15 min in the other direction from the airport.
There's a small beach at the hotel just down from the pool area that also is poorly maintained with spikes sticking up from the partly rotten wooden deck...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Per J
Dear PerVagabond,

Thank you for this review of your stay.

We appreciate your comments and have also taken note on the shortfall areas for our improvements.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We booked this hotel on recomendation, read review on trip advisor and tried to get it changed but to late.
Anyway we went with an open mind thinking it cant be that bad because of the Sheraton name.
how wrong were we.
The hotel staff excellant the the food and service good.
The pool was nice. But the standard of the rest of the hotel need Flattening down and rebuilding completely. Its is not a 5* hotel more like 3*. Everyone we spoke to in the hotel said the same thing.
Very quiet, no entertainment, the beach was not fit to go onto, Broken stair banisters, dirty sofas, we had to ask for hand towels everyday.
the spa was no good .
do not go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea veiw or pool side the best other wise long walk to Lobby.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mick s
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear mick s,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, which we value very much. I am certain that we will improve on the points that you have highlighted.

Kind regards
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,541 helpful votes
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I've no other word to describe this 'hotel'.

It reminded my girlfriend more of a run-down Soviet 'Lager' where poor children are sent by school. I personally haven't seen a 'hotel' so far in disintegration, soooo dirty!

Basically you can say everything is broken to a stage where it's dangerous. Electric cables hanging out, nails are standing out at the wooden deck of the pool, dirt is everywhere. I decided not even to take the free breakfast because I didn't want to take the risk to get sick in my holiday.

It's one thing when a hotel is old but well maintained - but this hotel is dirty in the public area as well as in the rooms. I have no words, therefore please check the photos I took.

If you have children and you want them to have an electric shock or step into nails, this is the place to go. If you don't want to sleep because of broken (extremely noisy) air-condition, road traffic directly next to your room, aircrafts above your room, it's your hotel. In case you like dirty rooms (black hair in the bathroom, spots on the curtains etc.), Sheraton Langkawi is your choice.

Personally I think hell is in better condition than this 'hotel'.

I'm surprised that this 'hotel' has a manager, that this person isn't in shame being manager of such a place. Maybe he's blind that he doesn't see the dirt everywhere.

I hope Sheraton takes out this piece of dirt from their hotel chain.

Room Tip: better book a room in HELL
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank HONkiev
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear HONkiev,

I regret to hear about your experience at our hotel.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com with your contact details as I would like to look into the issues raised personally.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.