“Great hotel but in need for some renovations”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #71 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Great hotel but in need for some renovations”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for three nights and we had a very nice stay. As a Platinum member I was upgraded to Executive Suite with a partial sea view and the room was well cleaned and chilled prior to arrival.
The location and the surroundings are also very nice. You are practically living in the jungle. If you have problems with sharing the same area as the monkeys and the lizards , this is not the hotel for you.
We had one dinner at Captain’s Grill and the food and the service was really good. We also used the room service at two occasions and 10 minutes from call to delivery is very acceptable.
But, make no mistakes, like most of the other reviewers have mentioned, this is an old hotel and in a need for some renovations, especially the pool deck.
We spent quite a few hours there and every time you get out of the pool you have to watch out for protruding nails or splinters.
Despite of all the flaws, the atmosphere and the nice staff makes it still possible for us to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Christer B,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us in this review - it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their holidays.

One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

I am grateful for your kind comments on your dining experience at Captain's Grill. The team at Captain's Grill deserved to be recognized when guest's expectations are met. I shall share your compliments with them.

Thank you for your comments regarding our pool deck, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Rest assured that team member concern has been made aware.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and staying with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Warm regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 May 2014

How can Sheraton even put its name on a place like this ? Its SHOCKING !!! I have just returned this morning from staying at Sheraton Beach Resort Langkawi & I feel that I have to inform you about this hotel. The only thing five star about it was the rate , nothing else ! The food from the breakfast buffet was not mediocre, it was horrible and tasteless and not worth 60 MYR, it wasnt worth 10 MYR. The dinner which I ordered on the 1st night took an hour to come to my room (chicken club sandwich) and that was mediocre. In the 4 days there I did not order anything else to eat. The telephones in the rooms werent working, I had to use my Singapore mobile to make an international call to ask for the dinner. The safe in my room wasnt working either. The jacuzzi and airconditioner in the gym were out of order. Aside from the bad food and non working amenities, the hotel was dirty too, dusty and mouldy furniture in the lobby and restaurant Feast and the bar Chimes and greenish slime on tiles in the pool . My bathroom had quite a few ants crawling about and somebody elses hair in the bathtub ( this I noticed on entering my room for the first time) It seems that this was a nice hotel perhaps 20 years ago but its in desperate need of a renovation. The only pleasant bit was the staff , all very polite but it is very clear that who ever owns this property only cares to make money of it and not look after it and surely doesnt care for guests comfort . Theres a lot more I could type but I dont want to relive this experience in my head again so thats it for now.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jomendonca
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear jomendonca,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us in this review.

I regret for the disappointment you had expressed and I apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

Please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com with details of your stay, as I would like to look into the points raised personally.

Again, I regret for your experience and I look forward to hear from you again soon.

Thank you.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The first room they gave us was run down and poorly cleaned but after complaining they gave us another room which was very clean and nice. The high tea and breakfast were both really good. The service was mixed, the reception desk could do with some customer service training but the restaurant staff were lovely.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Dear Kendall M,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us in this review.

We appreciate your comments as it enables us to continue monitor and make improvements for better guest experience.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused on this occasion.

Melbourne
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We have just returned from 4 relaxing days at the Sheraton Langkawi. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a garden chalet. The room was large and spacious, the bed was comfortable and we were the only ones in the 4 room block. The bathroom is desperate for some maintenance (TLC) but was clean and well designed. On hitting the pool we were first a little disappointed by the condition of the decking, water facilities, and lounge chairs but the staff were exceptional, the pool is a little tired. It has the most spectacular views and the minimum capacity meant total relaxation, no fighting for space by or in the pool and no screaming kids. The staff were so attentive, the drinks and food at the pool bar delicious. The food at the restaurants was first class and would thoroughly recommend the Captain's Grill and Spice Trader with great food, great drink and great views. 5 star service too!
We had the signature massage at the spa, total relaxation, and the girls were great. Very efficient and professional.
The grounds of the Sheraton are lovely the chalets and rooms well spaced throughout the resort so it didn't seem crowded.
The only hiccup was the foyer lights, internet and television going down in the evenings. The hotel needs a new generator.
This is a lovely hotel, great location, great staff and faculties, if only the owner would spend a. It of money to maintain and improve this resort, clientele would increase. It is a good 3.5 star hotel. It has the potential for so much more with a bit of investment.
But, if you want a total relaxing holiday, to be pampered by wonderful, friendly staff and enjoy great food without the hassle of crowds, I would thoroughly recommend the Sheraton Langkawi Beach resort, it has so much more to offer than its sister hotel just down the road.

Room Tip: Go for the Garden Chalet, the extra room makes it worthwhile. And.... Don't much a book by its...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear ptay4079,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

We strive to provide a high level of service to guests and to receive feedback such as yours is very reassuring and motivating. Thank you.

Your positive comments as well as highlights on the areas for our future improvement are very much appreciated. I do apologize for the disappointment you had expressed regarding the maintenance issues you encountered especially at our pool deck. Please rest assured that the condition of our wooden decks are regularly checked and maintained to the expected standards for our guest's comfort and safety.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and again, I would like to thank you for your valuable comments, as it enables us to continue monitor and make improvements for better guest experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great location, 10 - 15 min drive from the airport, private beach. Pool is old but maintained. Pool bar is average. Stayed in one of the bungalows on the each - great room, always clean and tidy once it was serviced. Amazing views. The grounds aren't really kept very well - if it were maintained a little better, it would be a really spectacular hotel. Food options are great - indian restaurant there is great. Asked for a local restaurant - hotel called and had us picked up. Was a little sceptical but the little restaurant on the beach was awesome. Would come back. but may look at other hotels next time.

Room Tip: bungalows are great; the standard rooms with sea views all looked like they had large balconies. Wou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear GlobalFrequentFlyer1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

Your positive comments as well as highlights on the areas for our future improvement are very much valued and appreciated. Please be assured that we continually strive to enhance our standards for value and guest satisfaction.

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and again, many thanks for your comments.

We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our experience at the Sheraton Langkawi was very mixed. Some good and very bad things. The hotel itself could be fabulous, but it's in need of a major refurb. It's old and not maintained at all. All public areas need a very good clean. The gym is out of the 70s and barely has AC, which made it really uncomfortable. The rooms are spacious, offering a large balcony, but this wasn't very clean either. The biggest disappointment for us was the bathroom. The tiles were disgusting and the soap holder was hanging off the wall.

The food was not bad. We tried Captain Grill and really enjoyed it. The food around the pool was generally good. The only downfall was the buffet breakfast. Probably the worse we have seen so far! The choice was very limited and did not always look fresh. Lots of flies around the food.

For the positives, we enjoyed the pool. It was clean and the bar staff were very nice. We spent 3 days and always received service with a smile. The bartender at chime was also super nice. The front desk staff was great and really paid attention to client. Willie was fantastic at check out. He gave it a personal touch and it was much appreciated. One night, the lobby bartender organised for a restaurant to come and pick us up for a night out! It was great!

In general, the hotel could be a fabulous resort if the owner decides to employ enough staff and maintain it properly. It's a shame that a brand like Sheraton is associated to such a disappointing hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear LouisEmerich,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the disappointment you had expressed in regards to the maintenance and cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay. The inconvenience caused is very much regretted.

We value our guest's comments and regularly reviews with the team members as to ensure we continually enhance our standards for better guest experience.

I am grateful for your comments on our food quality, as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering. The buffet breakfast spread has been designed thoughtfully taking guest needs in consideration, rest assured that our Chef has been made aware and continually give emphasis on food preparation standard for value and quality.

Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

Again, I would like to thank you for your valuable comments. We hope you will give us an opportunity to make improvment and let us welcome you back.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here with my 15 year old son, 10 year-old daughter and husband over last week of April....was initially apprehensive after reading tripadvisor reports but went ahead due to the sheraton brand name.... I mean, how bad can it get???

Let's start with check-in:
We arrived early, about 11.30am but decided to try our luck anyway, having driven around langkawi in our rented car quite a fair bit that morning after the airport. Staff was courteous while informing us the connecting room as requested were not ready yet....but immediately provided solution and found us another set that is ready immediately. We checked in with no drama....

Room: we loved the concept-the superior room we occupied is actually a garden view villa complete with huge balcony, and the room itself was huge, with suite like bathroom, and big super singles (two in each room). Having booked 2 connecting rooms, this means we have a huge space for the four of us.... In fact the one room is sufficient to house all four of us comfortably!

Like the ambience - it's rustic concept - and for the price, don't expect datai upkeep standards....I honestly do not understand what other reviewers are nit picking about - for the very roomy space, suite like rooms, high standard of room housekeeping, facilities, what we paid was value for money indeed. I have stayed at tanjung rhu langkawi and I paid 3x more than what I paid at sheraton and the point I'm trying to make is, you really do get what you pay for.

Location: (when in langkawi, do what the locals do, rent a car -it's cheap, a honda city cost us myr80 per day and you can find these car operators all over the internet. They are locals, meet you at the airport and reliable). Therefore sheraton's location, while not situated on the more popular cenang beach, is a moot point. Having said that it is closer to cable car than hotels like Westin etc. with plenty of food stalls and sundry shops on the main road outside catering for travelers.

Other Plus points: Beautiful little coves peppered around the property - discover these little gems and take in the jungle noise as you walk around the place. Beautiful infinity pool, well tended pool bar.

Overall: fabulous time, for the price (superior room for slightly over 100usd per room per night), will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Garden room is value for money - agree with other travelers who suggest rooms nearer the lobby for t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aishalloyd
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Aishalloyd,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience in this review.

Your positiive comments on our Resort's concept and the accommodation provided for you are very reassuring.

I am happy that you are able to spend quality time with your family during your stay.

Once again, thank you very much for your support and comments. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.