“Horrible customer service”

Ranked #71 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
bangkok
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Upon arrival, the overall mood of the staff was one of neglect. There was no assistance with luggage, no one moved a muscle as I struggled with the suitcases and the door. I arrived one hour before check in and was told I needed to wait until 3pm for the room - not a problem. However, 3pm came and went, 3:30 came and went and there was still no room available. All the front desk staff could say was "I'm Sorry, but please sit and wait." The manager on duty did everything she could to RUN away from me. She kept stating that the room was not ready and "THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO FOR YOU." Only after several persistent inquiries was I provided with a room. I expect more from a Sheraton and definitely expected the manager to be more professional. If the room was not ready, why not just be honest and find a solution?!

The room cleanliness is not up to the scratch with spider webs and dirty floor. The sliding glass door is covered with finger prints and dirt and the balcony flower box is nothing but several dead plants (mind you it is green season!)

My advice is to stay somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank inbox237

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
mumbai
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We had recently gone to Langkawi and opted to stay at the Sheraton. The location was as perfect as the pictures that we had seen on the net. The location of the hotel is a little removed from all the "buzz" places but thats what makes it very special and nice. The staff are helpful and are willing to go out on a limb to give you more information(helpful) than you ask for.

The rooms/ cottages are perfect for the relaxed holiday. The pool just adds to the whole mission. The room was perfect when the aircon started cooling to the temp that we wanted. But overall the experience was very memorble and we are bound to visit it again if we are in Langkawi again!

• Liked — the location
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank priyac2009
Gwalior
Reviewed 2 May 2009

from check in to check out Sheraton langkawi was excellent. Must stay in this resort when visit langkawi.

Good ambience, seperate beach, arrangement for dinner at beach, I can go on and on.

will definately visit again.

• Liked — dinner arrangment on the private beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barry SWales
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I read on here that some people thought that the hotel looked a little old, I think it's worth mentioning that the whole hotel is wooden built, so I would expect that it would look slightly tired. But that is the appeal of the place, it is not made of brick and situated in a town, it is more natural and in a very natural environment. The service is great, the people are friendly, the breakfast amazing. We had an awesome holiday there!!

1 Thank bigphil1
Dubai
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We found the Sheraton to be a great hotel. It has a lovely setting with gorgeous views. It isn't near a town but we hired a car and went to Cenang and the nearby Telega harbour (which has a really nice tapas restaurant) for meals. The restaurants at the hotel were nice but drinks were expensive.
The hotel pool is really nice and it is true the beach is small but we prefer to lie by a pool than on a beach so it wasn't a problem.
In general the hotel was fabulous we had a really great holiday although if you are used to the 5 star touches (which we are coming from Dubai) you may be disappointed however it did not bother us at all. We went to the Westin in Kuah town for a day as it is a sister hotel and that has more of a 5 star feel about it but I assume it is also more expensive.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing holiday.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 April 2009

This is my 2nd time to stay at Sheraton Langkawi. I choose here because it is very near to the airport which I no need to be rush compare to the other Starwood’s hotel, Westin in Kuah town.

My 1st experience here was last year and I found it was great to stay here. Unfortunately, my 2nd visit was a bit unlucky. I reached here at 4.30pm and the room was not ready. They offered us a drink at Lobby bar. It took about half an hour finally we got the room. We expected to take a rest and jump into the Jacuzzi... wait, the amenities in the bathroom were not complete! I have to make a call to get them! Oops, the button of the phone not working, luckily I still can press 0 for help. Ok, the staff said can be sent within 10-15 minutes. I understand because the chalet is a bit from the main building. We took a breath and enjoyed for the sea views. 30 minutes later, the staff still didn’t turn up. We made a 2nd call, wait for another 15 minutes, still not come yet. My husband was unhappy and called again to speak to the manager. She kept apologized and sent the man within 5 minutes, they sent us a plate of fruits. As a SPG Gold Member, they offered us sunset cocktails at Chime. But, when we went there, the staffs said there is no longer evening cocktails canapés, we could just have a complimentary drink, with some nuts. The spice trader restaurant was having a buffet from India and Middle East, we could be entertained by culture dance troupe! Imaging sitting on the floor having a dinner and watching belly dancers dance around... no, no, you’re wrong. We were watching the Malay traditional dance in India/ Middle East restaurant, sound funny, right? And the variety of food was so limited, the show was a bit bored. I think many of the customers found cheated, buffet for RM120 per person, drinks was not included, paid separately, not worth, right? everyone seems leaving soon after dining, feel a bit wasting time... The live band at Chime started at 10.30pm. We just hang around at the lobby and took a drink again while waiting for that. My 1st day almost ruin luckily we could enjoy the live band at Chime, finally. Langkawi is a duty-free islands, we could have unlimited of alcohol drinks without paying service charges and gov taxes.

We went out whole day for the 2nd day. An incident happened again. My husband found a big dirty mark on the new towel when we came back for shower before going out for dinner! I know the hotel is old but we expected the cleanliness of a 5 star hotel. Again, we made a complaint. This was my 1st time to make so many complaints during trips. I took the photos of towel before the lady come to pick up the towel and exchange new towel for me. The lady supervisor came and reluctantly changed the towel for us and impolitely said if we wanted to complain to the management we could go ahead. I almost fainted and really no appetite. We went to complain to the manager on duty before dinner. She kept apologized and tried to offer us something liked dinner or drinks or the transport to the airport, we rejected cos we did not expect to take advantage upon the complaining. She looked sincere and asked us to call her for the next visit, she promised to arrange nice holiday for us. Finally we calm down and agreed to take souvenirs of the hotel after breakfast of next day when the shop opened. We managed to go for the Easter buffet dinner at Feast restaurant, but the food not a good value of what you paid. We finished our dinner soon and went to the lobby again for web check-in for flight. The house guest can enjoy 45 minutes free surfing everyday and print out up to 5 pages per day at lobby’s Link@Sheraton, sound great.

Anyway I still enjoyed staying here: the front desk staffs and restaurants’ staff are friendly, except the house keepers; we enjoyed watching the monkeys, squirrels, hornbills... but not the bugs in the rooms. I like the room is big but I think they need to upgrade and refurbish the rooms and the swimming pool area.

1 Thank Angeline6655
Sheratonlangkawi281, The Management at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Langkawi Island. It is always great to have a returned guest staying with us and willing to share their experience for us to improve.
We truly appreciate your sincere and honest feedback and disappointed to learn that your stay this time was not up to your expectations.

We sincerely apologise for all the inconveniences you have encountered during your stay with us. Your concerns are being addressed by all related departments and senior management team, we
can assure you that all the short comings have been addressed. We are confident that it will not reoccur again in future.

If your travel plan ever brings you back to Langkawi, please do contact us and allow us to deliver our warmest service.

Warm regards,
The Management of Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Back here again after our good stay last year. Things are still as good and perhaps better. Eg. Free daily Internet, Happy Hours at the lobby lounge in addition to Chime, they serve made-in-Langkawi buffalo Mozzarella for buffet dinner and fresh fruits by the pool for kids around noon. The BBQ prawn and grill beef is still superb, especially when the chef himself does it. Compared to Westin buffet dinner we will choose Sheraton for better value and, in fact, better food.

Our kids loved the shady beach, walking on broad-walk and watching the birds, monkeys, monitor lizards, crabs and fish. Nature is right at the doorstep. Unfortunately TV program is too attractive for them (we should have blocked cartoons!) The room is still spacious as before and they upgraded us to a sea facing room. The view is great!

The staff is as friendly and helpful as ever. A few staff recognizes us from last year.

We are still thinking to come back again next year. This time, it should be 6 nights instead of the usual 4 nights we did over the last 2 years.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family