“Great place”

Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Egypt
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2008

we went to berjaya in our honeymoon , in mid july 2008 , we stayed for 3 hours waiting to check in the hotel but we were compensated by geting executive on water suite instead of the junior one , The suite was great classic furnished but great .
My first recommendation take a room near reception area as not to wait for the shuttle bus .
secondly we rented a scooter or a small motorcycle and went over the whole island, it is very cheap and if you don't know how to drive a scooter go for a rented car , you will really enjoy the island and go everywhere, had our maps and went on and saw everything , kuah town , underwaterworld , seven wells ,we also took a mangrove tour with dev's adventures really great ( a must go) , it was the best of all , berjaya had nice food in all restaurants with reasonable pices and we also went with the cable car which is very near to berjaya resort in the oriental village , which was great ,also but don't excpect much in the evening except dinner in a nice place , so its a morning island with all activities not very evening and eveything closes really early.Berjaya offers free walk on the jungle with Dev ( jungle guide ,like crocodile hunter style) , which we couldn't reserve because we messed it but people recommended the afternoon walk . ( definitely try) reserve early .
I recommend:
1- mangrove tour with dev (
2- afternoon jungle walk
3- scooter and go to seven wells , underwaterworld and kuah town , cable car ( better afternoon) same day, make it busy but productive.

• Liked — the view from our chalet on water
  • Disliked — rustic style of the furniture
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shahy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,163)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

We loved the chalets built into the jungle hillside. There were little buses driving by all the time you could hop on & off if it was just too humid to walk.
Pools were nice and clean. Beach wonderful, plenty of loungers and beach cleaned daily.
Staff very friendly and helpful, really nice.
Plenty of restaurants - we were on a bed & breakfast deal for seven days. Breakfast was plenty enough for anyone. I had requested gluten-free and although they could not give me any bread I was given a delicious (Australian Brand) box of muesli type cereal and a big bowl of delicious rice pudding every day. Obviously, I could also help myself to the other food stations around the big dining room as well.
There is a shuttle bus or short walk to the Cable Car and Oriental Village. Here you can get a great lunch and cheap food and drink at the "Food Hall" which is an outside eating area. Also plenty of cheap tiger beer - about 22p per can -at the shop to stock up your room fridge.
We WILL return.

• Liked — Individual Chalets in the Jungle
  • Disliked — Inevitable pricy hotel restaurants
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneCornwall
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

Just returned from a 9 day stay at this hotel, this is my opinion. First the positives, location beautiful, chalets reasonable although bathrooms need upgrading, staff were really friendly, food in the restaurants good. Negatives, hotel is completely isolated you will always need taxis to get anything, very little choice of restaurants in the local area and if you find any they are dry, which brings me to another negative, the hotel blatantly overcharges for booze. They will charge you 12 Ringit for a can of beer which you can buy in the Oriental village for 1.5 Ringit. This is certainly a problem in Malaysia and yes I realise it is a Muslim country, however we are exhorted to holiday there so they should cater for the tourist. In conclusion I would not return and would advise anyone thinking of going to Malaysia to go to Thailand instead. The Thais are much better at knowing what the average westerner wants.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No wifi
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gunner47
Earth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

We stayed at the Berjaya Hotel and found that the service was not up to scratch. I have stayed in simple guesthouses with better service and rooms. The room we stayed in was dirty and the bathroom was in serious need of renovation. The lounge was ripped and stained. This was really sad for us, because the location of the Berjaya is absolutely beautiful, surrounded by lush jungle and at the oceans step. We noticed that the following were not included in our room: Complimentary bottled water, face washers, bathrobes, clock/alarm radio clock, safe box. We paid the equivalent of almost 100 Euro a night for a superior (bottom of the line) room without breakfast - supposedly . At these rates, one can imagine our disappointment. When we went to complain, they just said sorry and did nothing to inquire what we were unhappy with. To top it off, we found that they had carelessly added other room's tabs to our bill, and it took about 30 minutes to sort out. This should only have taken 5 minutes, because the signature on those bills was certainly not from our room (we were on a tour that day we were charged for spa treatments which we did not use).

I will never recommend the Berjaya line to any of our friends, family or clients. I am sure there are better places to stay in the beautiful lush geoparks of Langkawi.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room, lack of service, the "I want your money" attitude
  • Stayed November 2008
4 Thank snorkellerEarth
Bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2008

Hi guys..
Trust me.. it takes a lot to trigger the blogger in me and to top it all fight the lazy bone in me to write a review...!!!

Soon after our wedding we flew down to Langkawi for our honeymoon...The Berjaya,is located just 10-15mins away from the airport.

We stayed at one of the Premier Chalet on land (No.1226)pls note the number cos not many of the sea facing chalets offer a spectacular view as this one.
Anyways,
The resort offers its guests excellent spa facilities for awesome rates ,there is also a Batik Hut which lets you try your skills at Batik painting.
It has a wide pallete of restaurants satisfying the international tastebuds of guests arriving here.
My personal favourite was " The Oriental Pearl" which offered mouth watering delicacies of china and japan.
The Pahn-Thai Restaurant ,right in the middle of the sea...offers an enchanting array of Thai cuisine.

Then again you have "The Dayang Cafe" and the "Beach Restaurant"....which were again par-excellence...

The efficiency of the staff was commendable keepin in mind the number of guests they receive each day.

The support staff like house keeping,the shuttle service,the restaurant staff were all efficient and knew their job very well..

The visitors can rent a taxi from the resort to visit The attractions in and around Lankawi.
The resort itself has tie-ups with various other Tours and Travels which organize daily package tours for guests...

The chalet was beautiful and the facilities offered within were excelllent.

All in all ,what struck me the most during my stay at Berjaya was ...this resort has the most warmest and friendliest staff i have ever interacted with...

Truly Enchanted.....!!! :-)

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelKrazeeee
India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

Is really a lovely place to stay. Langkawi itself is a beautiful island and this resort is icing on it.
Rooms are beautiful, with good views. The chalets are cosy and magnificient. The staff is helpful and cordial.
Location of the resort is best. one side is sea and other side are mountains. The cab service running in resort is too efficient.
Overall wonderful experience.
Would definitely love to go back again.

• Liked — views from room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ankur001
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

Well I was going to write this later after some much needed sleep, but have started so I'll finish. I have read back over the bad reviews this hotel got and I can honestly say they must have been made up as we did not experience one bad thing during our stay.

We had been to KL for the previous week and we arrived early 10am, so thought we would have to wait for the 2pm check in, we waited 20mins and our room was ready. My husband had got badly bitten by mossies in KL during a golf trip and at check in we asked how bad a problem it was there and they said not too bad but they upgraded us to a room that was more open than in the forest just in case. The room 2134 was fab, it was newly decorated and had a brillient air-condition unit, they even sent the maintenence man to staple some netting over the door where there is a gap for the rollers. We did not get one bite during our stay.

Shuttle service was very efficient, but we only used it at night time on our way home from the bar!!

FOOD

Breakfast had something to suit all tastes, and everything was lovely and fresh at all times
We had lunch twice in the Dayang Cafe and the choice was amazing, we had lunch at the poolside restaurant a couple of times and this too was fine.
We had the buffet one evening which was the Italian themed night and it was outstanding, we were stuffed
Thai restaurant is a must do if you stay here
We had room service 2 nights when it was raining as we couldn't be bothered to go out and it arrived piping hot along with our bottle of wine complete with ice bucket, felt sorry for the poor guy delivering as he got soaked, but the food was well covered. Then they phone to see if everything was okay, great service

STAFF.
I have the higest praise for every single staff member we encountered, they are all so polite and helpful, they couldn't do enough for you. We were treated like royalty

SPA

Ladies do take time to get some treatments here. I had the aromotherapy massage, facial and duluxe pedicure and it was heaven.

We hired a car for 2 days from Bird in the lobby it worked out at €20 for 2 days mad! and petrol is 50c a litre. We drove around to the usual places and 2 days was plenty to see everything.
We ate at the Steakhouse restaurant one evening down at the harbour, try the surf n turf amazing.........it poured rain in the middle of our meal so we were shuttled inside it was still raining when we were ready to leave so they supplied us with umbrellas and accompanied us to the car.

My husband did the early morning tour with Dev and really enjoyed it, Dev knows his stuff.

The weather was fab, nothing like the forecast I had been reading before I went and it rained only at night when we were there but the rain is amazing, it's hot.

The sea at the hotel is warm and the beach is spotless.

If I think of anything else I will add later, but all in all this resort does not deserve the bad revies it gets. I am fussy and I could not fault this in any way

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple