“Great Resort, Fantastic for chilling out”

Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Resort, Fantastic for chilling out”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We spent 4 nights at Langkawi in November. We found the room to be amazing - so clean and comfy (we had a Premier Room - on stilts, only in water when the tide came in). We ate at each of the restaurants in the resort and found them all to be very good - not superb, but still very nice. Pahn Thai retaurant was lovely for a romantic evening, but we also really liked the Oriental Pearl. I really liked that there was a lot of 'umbrellas' and lounges on the beach, and it wasn't crowded at all (may have to do with the time of the year we were there). The breakfast was excellent, one of the better ones that we have had. it's worth checking out the website for accom deals as they offer very good discounts if you book a few months in advance. One of the best things to do in Langkawi - the Cable Car - is a 10 minute walk up the road - well worth it and not over-priced. Also, have a look at the Zon Duty Free store in the Oriental Village (near the Cable Car) - very cheap!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank feandken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,203)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Spent a week at the Berjaya Resort and Spa Hotel. The staff is (very) friendly, the rooms are more or less old and worn out - we had a ordinary deluxe chalet and our friends had a chalet down at the waterfront. For this price you should be able to expect more.

Another thing that I think the management at Berjaya should think about is the extensive use of the transportation buses. Not that it only keeps you up at night when they have to gear down in the hills, it also gives a green island a somewhat polluted image.

We checked in at Berjaya because we wanted to live the resortlife for a week, getting away from the busy atmosphere in China during the October break. Unfortunately, after a thorough comparison with other countries as well as other resorts in Malaysia, Berjaya doesn't give you the value for money you expect. The food at the Thai restaurant is the best, but overly priced compared to what other hotels offer for the same standard.

Sorry guys, you have to shape up in order to stay competitive. What makes the 3-rating? The staff!

PS Down below is a Yes/No for if pets are allowed. I'm not sure, but I can tell you that there are monkeys (or other primates) in the hotel area - some of them even took a nap down at the pool. DS

2 Thank TylerHunter
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We had nearly booked elsewhere, but after reading reviews of some other places I wasn't quite so confident. Our budget was pretty limited, but one look at the Berjaya website and the boss said 'THAT ONE' (not in a 'Little Britain' way though :) ). It looked amazing.

We got in contact with Enzo (the GM) directly to see whether we could fit in ourselves, two little girls (4 & 5) and a 1 yr old boy. Enzo said they could do up a Superior or Deluxe Suite (their smallest/cheapest chalets... same size, but the Superior is further away from the main hub and has less chance of a view) with a sofa bed (put bedding on the sofa) and put in a baby cot. We took up his kind offer for 8 nights.

The staff throughout the hotel are very friendly and helpful. Above the call of duty. Special mention to Elyas (shuttle bus driver) who made our girls trip even more memorable by being so great with them (he has young children of his own).

We were shuttled to our room (shuttles are small buses that take the guests everywhere... unless you want to walk of course), and it was lovely. Someone (previous guest) had left just a little sticky stuff on the wall hidden behind the curtain so some ants were having a feast. Some bug-spray in the cupboard sorted them out quickly. The air-con and fan and tv and mini-fridge etc are all great. It had a nice view through the trees to the ocean too. Unfortunately the bath needed a bit of repair, as it had a crack all around the edge which was worse of course when you were standing in it for a shower. Also, the cot they had put in was not very clean (looked like mould around the top edges). We asked if it were possible to change rooms (because of the bath), which they did very quickly.

This new room was a Deluxe I think and was the same as the superior... just closer to the reception area (and also had no stairs to climb to the front door whereas the other one had about 20 steps) . The room was fantastic. The only criticism being the wiring for the telephone, lamp etc behind the bedside table was exposed (out of the wall) so we had to make sure the little boy didn't pull the bedside table out to get to the wiring. I think this room was one of the refurbished ones (smelled of some varnish and the wood looked darker) so they probably missed those wires or a previous guest had pulled them out a little). Wherever you go in the world there are always little niggles, but the Berjaya's positives FAR outweigh any silly little things. The new room had a clean cot for the baby too.

Like I said, all the staff are AMAZING. Aaron and Rahoya (?) in the internet cafe were also brilliant with our children. The staff in the Dayang Cafe too.

The bed and the pillow are great.... I`d like to buy some pillows like that :)

All the chalets are what we were calling 'Tree-houses' to our kids. They are lovely and unique, on their stilts in the jungle. We had monkeys visit us on one of the mornings... they were wanting to share our crackers. No trouble at all. Cool.

The food for the breakfast buffet is unbelievable.... so much to choose from (Asian, Western, fruit, juices) and alot is also cooked to order on the spot. We are now addicted to Paratha bread. We've had more since but the Berjaya paratha's are simply the best. Seriously. Get the breakfast for your stay.

The main pool (and it's sunken bar and waterfall) is brilliant. There are also two other pools further up.... a toddler pool (very shallow) and a spa/pool (pool with some bubbles in some area's. The kids loved the spa/pool. Only criticism of that is that some of the fake rocks need replacing or repairing, and there's a broken section under the water (near the roped off area where the water goes down to the waterfall for the other pool) which needs repairing too.

My wife went to the spa a few times, and said the last massage she had was the best she's ever had in her life. Sure, it's a little more expensive than some other places in Langkawi, but if you went anywhere else you'd have to drive them there and pick them up later.... much less hassle to just take a shuttle to the spa from your room. With the 4-hour spa, she also got dinner :)

The tv had a brilliant selection of channels (especially Cartoon Network for the brats and ESPN for me). Discovery, Nat Geo, BBC World News etc etc. Better selection than at the Traders Hotel in KL actually.

Laundry was great (but expensive as they charge the same whether it's a 1 yr old shirt or an adult shirt). After we did the Berjaya laundry twice we found a laundry not too far out of the Berjaya which was alot cheaper.

I didn't get to the beach at Berjaya but my wife did briefly and said it was lovely.

The Thai restaurant out on the jetty is amazing. Food is pretty good but the scenery, service and being able to watch the Barracuda at night eat the smaller fish (attracted to the lights) is something that will be remembered forever.

The Japanese Restaurant at the Cable Car is fantastic... service, food, you name it. Berjaya take guests to (and from) the Cable Car on their shuttles.

Berjaya are in the midst of renovating, and it's still bloody fantastic even without all the rooms being renovated yet. Totally thoroughly recommend this wonderful beautiful resort to everyone. Exceptional value for money and some of the best staff on the island.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank Stormz69
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Date of stay : October 27th-31st 2009
Room - Premier Chalet

Having been captivated by Forum posts within Trip Advisor, and having found a cracking deal onm Agoda.com for the intended dates of travel, I had no hesitation in booking at the Berjaya, however I was naturally concerned regarding some of the negative views that had been posted on Tripadvisor, so much so I emailed the manager regarding my concerns. Enzo (manager at Berjaya) replied almost immediately assurring me I had nothing to worry about.....and how right he was!

From the very moment we were collected at the airport by the resort transfer bus, we were made to feel very special, almost VIP like (cost = 30RM, slightly more than a taxi, but does away with any concerns you may have about being fleeced by taxis, which should not happen anyway in Langkawi....if you wish to book the transfer, contact the Berjaya direct to organise - transfer time approx 20 minutes).

Check in was fantastic, very speedy, we were welcomed personally by the Front of House manager, Ramesh, who made us feel very special indeed. This interim staff contact, and the friendliness and attentiveness of our reception, was repeated by all of the staff at the resort . And I do mean all staff too.

The room we were given was fantastic, overlooking the Thai restaurant towards the far end of the resort, which is about800 metres from the hotel lobby Sure, it is some distance from the main hotel lobby, but if this concerns you, the frequent free shuttle service is only a few steps from your door.

Service received at all of the facilities on site (the four main restaurants, the Ayura Spa, the internet cafe area, the car hire/taxi/bookings teams) was exemplory. Even the minor issues we had with the room was dealt with via a personal response from the Housekeeping team.

We were very fortunate to be invited to a Cocktail Party periodically arranged by the Management Team of the Berjaya, and were made to feel as if we were VIP's by all concerned.

As noted by many reviewers on Tripadvisor, I would strongly recommend the free nature walk offered by Dev from the nearby Langkawi Nature establishment, he takes you on a fascinating walk through the Berjaya (the nighttime walk at 7.00pm was particularly informative) - it's free, so do it!

Should you encounter any problems or issues during your say - may I offer the following advice. Don't keep quiet and come on here complaining about it, talk to the management, they do care (after all, as consumers, don't we have the choice of taking our business elsewhere?). I have encountered all manner of good and bad service having extensively travelled over the past few years, I can only say that the Berjaya exceeds mosts expectations regarding customer service, Enzo and his team have a resort that, quite rightly, they should be very proud of.

Although by nature I tend not to go back to the same hotels, I would not hesitate in returning again to the Berjaya resort

6 Thank foxystoat1
SPORE
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I just came back from a 4D3N trip to Langkawi with mum and bro.It was a getaway for the three of us who were feeling bored in our own country.This is my 2nd stay in Berjaya and I had a wonderful experience in 2008.Special thanks to the reservation officer Ms Mala who had helped me book my room efficiently and the extra mile that she took to ensure that I was satisified with the booking and my additional requests.My family was not disappointed with the stay in Berjaya as we stayed in the same room last year! The chalet on water was simply nice and a good relaxing spot in Langkawi. Special thanks to all the friendly shuttle service staff,reception and restaurant staff who made our stay comfortable and enjoyable.I've always asked for a lower step shuttle as my mum had leg problems...and they never disappoint me!

Food was alright with the different themes each night...catering to different nationalities staying in Berjaya.However the cakes and pastries was the best I had in Berjaya compared to the main dishes they offer.

Thank You Berjaya for the comfort and warm hospitality.
I'll be back again I hope!!

• Stayed October 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Berjaya Langkawi Beach and Spa Resort exceeded beyond my expectations. I read some bad reviews about this resort but I have never faced anything closed to that. I went with my newly wed wife for honeymoon and it was majestic. In the check in it they cordially asked me to wait for housekeeping of Delux Sea View Chalet which would take one hour. But after 10 minutes teh Manager (Hasnul) and the frond desk who attended me came and told me that they have given me a room upgradation to Premier chalet on land. The room was very nice, clean and it was well above our expectations. After getting back in the room at the night after the Mangrove tour we found one chocklate cake and sparkling juice in our room as surprise. my wife was so surprised that her expression was the one of the memorable thing in my life.

Thanks to Berjaya management.

We didn't face any problem about the shuttle service though it takes time to go up the hill for the garden view chalets and our room was not at that side. The pahn thai restaurant, the beach everything was so good out honeymoon wouldn't be better.

2 Thank anik_nabil
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We have just returned from 5 relaxing days at a little slice of paradise called the Berjaya Langkawi Resort and feel like we have left behind a good friend. If you are after the slick 5 star experience with everything “laid on” just a short stroll from your hotel room don’t choose the Berjaya. Berjaya’s charm lies in its breathtaking natural beauty and it’s friendly, relaxed, laidback ambience.
It is a big resort with individual chalets nestled amongst acres of beautiful tropical rainforest gardens. So you need to be prepared to either do the 10 minute walk through the beautiful grounds (not a hardship really!) or if it’s too hot to walk, you need to be prepared to wait for a pickup from your chalet (we never waited more than 5 minutes – not a big problem at all)
The beach is beautiful – lots of deck chairs under large umbrellas, beach volleyball and soccer if you want it – but most people, including us, seemed to be happy with swimming in the warm waters and then relaxing on the deck chairs and enjoying the amazing views.
The pool is also very good – again lots of shady spots if you want them – plus snacks and drinks available from friendly staff and ½ price cocktails in the early evening with a local band to serenade you.
We chose a Premier Land Chalet as we were looking for a bit of extra comfort and we were not disappointed. The room was beautifully appointed and the views magical. We loved to lie on the deckchairs on our veranda in the early evening and listen to the gentle lapping of the waves, watching the sky slowly turn to soft amber while we decided which restaurant to try. There are 4 choices which was enough for us and there is entertainment in the Lobby Lounge later in the evening (the staff in the Lobby Lounge were so friendly and seemed genuinely interested in where we were from - we miss them!) Again, this is all very laid back – if you are after action, loud music and dancing into the wee hours this is not the hotel for you.
We enjoyed some pampering at the Spa which is good value as you are able to make use of all of their facilities even if you are just booked in for a manicure (although perhaps this may not be the case when the Spa is very busy during high season). The large pool size Jacuzzi is a real treat, and there is a sauna and steam room.
We also enjoyed Dev’s evening nature walk. He takes you right up through the twisting paths to the very back of the resort and to the edges of the jungle. Dev is very informative and passionate about preserving the ecology of the resort and Langkawi as a whole. As the night closes in and the evening breezes start to stir you have a lovely view back down to the water and get a real appreciation of just how large and incredibly beautiful the resort is.
We were sad to leave at the end of our 5 days and are hoping to return one day soon. The Berjaya is not a glitzy 5 star resort. It is a beautiful, friendly, relaxed piece of paradise and we give it 5 large hearts.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family